Author Topic: Earning Loss Benefit ( ELB )  (Read 52480 times)

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
Re: ELB 90 % top up from 75%
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 09:18:24 »
I would second that. The application for ELB is fairly straightforward and can be done online via MyVac account.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:32 »
Simply put, SISIP needs to go. No reason a profit-motivated company should be involved as a gatekeeper to any veterans' benefits whatsoever. The over-complexity and duplication of services/benefits is one of the fundamental flaws of our current scheme of benefits. A ground up harmonization and rationalization of veterans' benefitsis needed, with separate recognitiion for pain and suffering, and economic impacts (lost income, reduced income growth potential, actual costs/expenses resulting from injury/illness). There's needs to be harmonization between different government departments, and common definition of disability for benefits and taxation purposes. It's needlessly complex right now.

When I was released, Man Life was the only benefits on time and on target.  Over  10 months of misadministration of my pension and benefits, that 1400 bucks from SISIP kept my head above water.  I thank them!
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 10:56:47 »
Manulife is not the problem, as they were the same for me. I had my SISIP payment super quick while I waited for my pension and severance.

The issue is how SISIP and VAC purport to do the same things, have different criteria for almost everything, and actually block access to other programs offered by each other. Too much overlap, too much wasted time, effort and money.

Offline Stressed Right Out

• Rate Post
AVG PTSD disability rating & ELB
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2016, 04:29:31 »
I'm doing search all over, can't seem to find the answer to my questions. So here it goes, please be patient with me, this is all new to me.

1. Diagnosed with PTSD, got my 10%. Been told I will be reassessed Jan 2017, that being said, do they use the % my shrink originally gave me when I first got this diagnosis (76% with high scale depression and anxiety)?

2. What happen if someone cannot go to school upon release? (I can't work and I'm not recommended to attend school right now) Is that education pushed until member can?

3. After the 2yrs with SISIP, VAC kicks in. What happen if someone can only find P/T work or can only work part time (let's say 10hrs/wk), are we thrown to the curb, Hasta la Vista type, or is this ELB is a top up we qualify for until 65yrs of age?

4. Not a question, just want to say thank you for any assistance as this has been a major stressor.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: AVG PTSD disability rating & ELB
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2016, 04:57:00 »
Hey, first off, you're doing the right thing reaching out to look for supports on this. Youve got a lot of stuff ahead of yo right now.

ELB exists to protect your income if your ability to work is impacted by service related disability. It will keep you at 90% pre-release salary. If you work, the earned employment income will be offset from your ELB. I don' know the exact formula, but basically thy will top up whatever you do earn from work to your pre-release salary at 90%. You wont' be kicked to the curb. It goes til 65. If you can only work part time, that's fine.

Not sure how the reassessment will go, but VAC makes their own call on that. Get as much documentation as possible from medical pros. I suggest using a Royal Canadian Legion service officer to help you prepare your claims- they are paid employees whose full time work is helping vets with claims. http://www.legion.ca/we-can-help/contact-a-service-officer/

Not sure if you're on Facebook, but there are a couple support groups that may be of use:

Veterans 3B Support GRoup - group for medically released or releasing CAF members/vets. https://www.facebook.com/groups/432709853584762/
Send Up The Count - 9500 member group for mental helath in the CAF and veterans community. We have lots of members who have been through the process with PTSD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/sendupthecount/

You've got a long road ahead of yuo, but youve got a lot of brothers and sisters fighting the fight along side you. Reach out and connect with them. You've got this.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 11:42:16 »
SISIP will ask numerous times if you want to go to school this is not obligatory and you can tell them no thanks. Due to your medical issues after the 2 years on SISIP they will determine if you stay on SISIP or if not you will move over to VAC ELB and voc rehab. You will have a case manager which will help work with you in what you can and can't do and come up with a plan that best helps and works for you. If your condition improves and you feel you can do some schooling that option is there with the VAC voc rehab.

Mostly you will have the case manager to help guide you through everything and will come to your home for appointments if you choose.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 13:42:53 »
SISIP will ask numerous times if you want to go to school this is not obligatory and you can tell them no thanks.

Mind you, free edumacation is worth its weight in gold. If you decide you are up for it then grab it. (When/if ready/able to)
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Dave1966

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 14:54:49 »
Yes as previously stated you are doing the right thing reaching out to others and asking questions and building a strong support network are all positive steps towards recovery.

I am also new to the VAC system myself just granted 10% this spring (2016) chronic PTSD depression anxiety etc. Plus another 10% for hearing loss started the rehab program collecting ELB since winter 2016 so ya I am still pretty fresh and kinda confused myself.

I have learned a lot from other peers on the forum this has been a great source of info for me probably the best actually! I find navigating the VAC website frustrating and I have a relatively new and young case manager that's still in training herself she has the attitude that the money I recieve is coming directly out of her purse? Actually many questions that I have asked her about entitlements and benefits I have learned about from others on the forum she doesn't even know exist this has caused many arguments but I am not the kinda person who backs down easy and I am not afraid to put her in her place. I don't use this as an excuse to be rude and abusive but at the end of the day they are public servants their job is to serve us answer our questions and ensure that we get all the benefits we are entitled . That's not to say all people that work for VAC are incompetent the majority of the people I have had to deal with so far have for the most part been very polite,helpful and compassionate.

I also highly recommend contacting your local Royal Canadian Legion branch and ask to be put in contact with a Provincial Services Officer. You do not have to be a Legion member to enlist there help. My experience in dealing with them has been nothing less than amazing. They did all my initial paper work applications and arranged all the nesasary medical appointments to start my disability processes. They are very helpful caring and understanding they are pros when it comes to navigating the VAC system and can answer most questions that my case manger can't or won't answer.

Offline Staff Weenie

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 15:57:42 »
One of the best things you can do right now, is call your nearest Integrated Personnel Support Centre (IPSC), and ask to meet with a Services Coordinator. If you don't know which IPSC supports you, send me a PM, I'm the Deputy Ops O now for the Joint Personnel Support Unit.

As for the percentage that VAC will ultimately award, it's very hard to bracket, because there are so many variables that each case is unique. They will indeed obtain your health records, and review the comments from your Mental Health team. You will also be submitting forms, part of which give you the opportunity to comment on how it has impacted your daily living. Far too many people downplay the impact - we're soldiers, we suck it up, right???? But don't do that! VAC needs these details to make the best assessment. If you can't go on a bus, note it. Can't go shopping, write it down. Can't get it up? Can't hug your kids? Sweat like mad and change the sheets twice per night? Make sure every little detail on how your life has been impacted goes in there. That helps make a more accurate determination.

Then, reach out. You've already started, and that puts you ahead of too many others. Try looking into Operational Stress Injury Social Support (OSISS). It's a peer-based support group where you meet once every week or two, with people who 'get it'. I go every other week still, and it helps me to realize that I'm not fighting this alone. If you need help finding a group, go to OSISS.ca and contact them.

Ask for a Nurse Case Manager to be assigned (if they haven't already done so). Then ask if a Complexity Assessment is going to be done. If you are heading towards a 3b Release (medical), and you are deemed 'Complex', you can have an Integrated Transition Plan done at the local ITP. This is a multi-disciplinary Board that sits to see how to smooth your transition as much as possible. It has reps from Case Management (can they hand your care off to civilian systems safely?), SISIP (do you have a Voc Rehab plan?), VAC (are they ready for your file?), PSO (have they helped you in defining your post CAF education and career goals?). Your chain of command and even the Family Liaison Officer can be there if needed. They are there for you - let the team help work the issue, and take the stress.

I find my memory sometimes takes a nose-dive, so when you go to meetings, bring a trusted friend, or ask to record it on your smart-phone. That way, you can go home, relax, and re-listen to make sure you've got all the info.

There's going to be a lot of bumps in the road, but you're going to make it through this. There's lots of us here who are living with PTSD as well, don't ever be worried about reaching out for help when you need it.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 22:04:41 »
So gotta say VAC processed this fast. I am on SISIP sent back the required forms the day after being notified thru the my VAC account. I recieved my top up to the 90% today did not think I would see anything till next month at the earliest.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2016, 16:57:58 »
I agree; I've had the same experience.

The only question I have, which has not been answered yet by VAC, is: The information on My VAC Account says that I have about $40 deductions....soooo, no income tax? Is this not taxable? Seems to me it should be, but I am not an income/non-income expert.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2016, 19:31:27 »
I've still haven't seen anything. They had my forms from manulife for almost 2 weeks but nothing yet. I'm not expecting it until later this month.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 16:02:25 »
Quick update: everyone getting ELB will want to fill out  Revenue Canada TD1 form.

The income tax being deducted is only using the ELB amount NOT your total income (even though they have that info to figure out ELB...).

If you don't fix it now, you will be screwed tax time next year. I'm going to be bumping this up the VAC chain; seems like a really lazy way to do business.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2016, 21:08:43 »
I was approved for SISIP LTD in October 16 back dated to release date in August of 16. VAC received my application for ELB on 2 Sep. I was asked by VAC for permission to contact SISIP to determine my benefit. when I track my application the status has been in Step 3 for 4 weeks, but no one at VAC can tell me when a decision and/or when I might expect to see some jingle in my bank account. Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay and how long did it take for you to get resolution?
I will echo others comments on positive experience with SISIP, I'd be in a world of hurt without them.
Happy New Year all!  :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2016, 20:45:36 »
Renegate dont feel Bad. I send all my paper work to VAC on the 11 Oct. they approved my rehab on the 27 Oct. talked to my CM on the 28 Oct told me approved Rehab my ELB was being calculated. On Vac account I have been stuck in stage 3 ever since  for ELB. Called them last week and was told that once rehab approved they have to sent the ELB request to Charletown and that they received it on the 17 Nov. from  there it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get done because they are way behind. I guess at VAC adding substrating a a few numbers Is a pretty complicated and time consuming process.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 16:32:19 »
Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!

Offline rand_d

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 21:14:36 »
Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!
Mine was received on 9 Nov 2016, and I got my money yesterday, so 56 days is about right!

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:21 »
I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:08 »
I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:59 »
How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...

Well it's in the correct thread now.

CampCricket there was much uproar of the 15% increase as it did not equate to 15% for a lot of members mainly lower ranks. Some may even be getting more than 15%. At the end of the day it comes down to totalling 90% of your release pay.

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2017, 00:57:37 »
I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:13 »
I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

whoa whoah whoa,

Chill Winston.  Not everyone here wants you to leave.  I dig your posts.

Stay a while bredren.

Ourselves Alone

Tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2017, 01:01:37 »

Ease up on the man brother, you know that ain't good amigo. ;)

All is good, all is good.

Ourselves Alone

Tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 11:54:39 »
So, I sent a secure message through my VAC account asking for an update on the status of my claim. I received the following back from VAC, not the news I wanted to hear but, at least I have a better idea when I might learn something. (Names removed for privacy"

"Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services. Your ELB application is still in progress. The standard processing
time is 6 to 8 weeks from the service standard start date (Nov.30, 2016). Please follow up with us again first week of February.
Thank you for your patience.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us again via My VAC Account or our toll free number 1-866-522-2122.
Sincerely,
Contact Centre Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada"

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:42 »
Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.