• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Fishbone Jones said:
Looks like it took a load of buckshot.

No kidding, that is kind of terrifying. What an awful piece of poorly executed merch.

That the Legion would even consider the idea, let alone go through with it, is a good descriptor of its lack of connection with society today. :not-again:

And with a touch of seasonal Scroogeness

B.C. Legion facing holiday eviction from building it helped build on land it donated​

A Vancouver branch of the Royal Canadian Legion says it’s facing a holiday eviction notice — from a building on land it originally bought, from a building it helped pay to build.

The Shalom Branch 178 was formed 75 years ago and has been active in the community since then, raising money for numerous causes and supporting veterans.

In 1973 it bought a piece of land at Maple Street and West 6th Avenue, which it gifted to a new housing society along with $1 million to help build a 106-unit low-income housing development.

Robert Underhill, second vice-president of the Legion’s B.C.-Yukon Command said that initiative founded on a key agreement.

“There was never, ever a lease created. It was on a handshake that the Legion, because of its donation to get the building they would be able to occupy the hall here for absolutely no fee,” he said.

Nearly 50 years later, Underhill said the society began demanding rent from the Legion. When the organization declined to pay, he said they were hit with a notice to vacate the property by Dec. 31.

. . .

And with a touch of seasonal Scroogeness

No doubt the new housing society board of directors - given the location on the left coast - is made up of "progressives" who have seen a loophole and decide the Legion is not longer required - in other words a big F6CK You.

Despite the claim in the article, the Building Society still is legally named "SHALOM BRANCH #178 BUILDING SOCIETY".

The branch received prior attention due to a former president being expelled, then reinstated. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...lled-from-legion-wins-reinstatement-1.5796007)

Interestingly, the last report on the Building Society available from CRA (T3010 Registered Charity Information Return) states that one of the directors of the society has the same name as a former branch vice president mentioned in the CBC article.

Almost as if there may be more to this than meets the eye.

For anyone with a forensic accounting bent, you can look through the building society's financials at the link below going back to 2003. It's apparent that whoever fills out their annual T3010 reports doesn't always look to prior years to ensure consistency in reporting.

It appears there has been a lengthy history of conflict. Back in 2007, a minority of directors attempted a membership drive to oust the then-president; he and the other directors introduced new rues to limit new members, and the mess landed in the BC court system.

And a few years later, a medically retired lawyer living in the complex sued.

Glad the legion is focusing on important things like trademark protection of the poppy, when they can't be arsed to get back to cadets volunteering to sell them or participate in the ceremony tomorrow. Maybe there is a vet somewhere using it as a patch or a tshirt they needed to go after instead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/poppy-legion-unauthorized-sales-1.6644707

Maybe time to petition the GoC for them to take the trademark back?

The amount of stupid shit they sell with the poppy on it under their trademark is ridiculous.

THE POPPY STORE - HOME PAGE

Glad the legion is focusing on important things like trademark protection of the poppy, when they can't be arsed to get back to cadets volunteering to sell them or participate in the ceremony tomorrow. Maybe there is a vet somewhere using it as a patch or a tshirt they needed to go after instead.

The amount of stupid shit they sell with the poppy on it under their trademark is ridiculous.

Gone civvie, dontcha know $$$$$

I am at the “despise” stage with the Legion and how they run a Remembrance Day ceremony/parade.

Today I stood and listened to an overly long list of every business and person who donates to the Poppy Fund. But…not a single name was read from any war, conflict, mission of a community member who died in the service of Canada. The guy reading the fuckin donation list was standing all of 10 feet from the cenotaph with all the names of those heroes engraved in the stone work.

No invite for vets and serving mbrs to place their poppies during the ceremony.

Go fuck yourself, RCL. You are an embarrassing shell of a once great organization.

I am at the “despise” stage with the Legion and how they run a Remembrance Day ceremony/parade.

Today I stood and listened to an overly long list of every business and person who donates to the Poppy Fund. But…not a single name was read from any war, conflict, mission of a community member who died in the service of Canada. The guy reading the fuckin donation list was standing all of 10 feet from the cenotaph with all the names of those heroes engraved in the stone work.

No invite for vets and serving mbrs to place their poppies during the ceremony.

Go fuck yourself, RCL. You are an embarrassing shell of a once great organization.
That’s a local branch trying to keep itself alive with local business sponsorships. I saw the same thing when I was living in a smaller town with a local branch run ceremony. Bob’s Auto Glass buys an over priced wreath, they get their name read out loud along with all the other donors. It’s unfortunate that that’s how a lot of ceremonies are going. Also a sad reality of trying to keep community service clubs going.

I’m not defending it, just sharing the observation.

The invitation for vets/members to come place poppies would be a really good suggestion. If limited during the ceremony to those individuals, it shouldn’t take long. I’ve seen it done before.

I think that it is important to remember that the actions of any one particular branch do not represent every branch in the organization. I've been to Remembrance Day Parades run by different branches. There are some considerable differences between how they are done. One Legion reads out every wreath that is placed by every organization under the sun. The other places them silently while reading out the names. One of those parades is noticeably shorter than the other.

Another thing that I think is important to mention is that in many communities the larger parade is on Remembrance Sunday with a scaled down version on the 11th.

Do you know their personal service histories? If not what is your point?
I think the point is something we all have complained about. The the legion is no longer run by veterans for veterans in many regions. Instead it's people who's uncles etc... served and then make the decisions for the organization to serve vets. Is this a blanket statement that isn't 100% accurate? Sure but the legion is dying a slow death because it is out of touch with the modern vet/service member who are refusing to join because they are looked down upon and ostracized by the old guard in many legions.

I think the point is something we all have complained about. The the legion is no longer run by veterans for veterans in many regions. Instead it's people who's uncles etc... served and then make the decisions for the organization to serve vets. Is this a blanket statement that isn't 100% accurate? Sure but the legion is dying a slow death because it is out of touch with the modern vet/service member who are refusing to join because they are looked down upon and ostracized by the old guard in many legions.
I disagree,...in my opinion of course, there's a good chunk of the 'modern vets' who feel they need to be acknowledged somehow. I've NEVER had that feeling in pushing 40 years of Legion membership. If I ever see another 'I served in the CAF. You're welcome" license cover I may have to flatten tires.

I was in, I served, I got paid, I got laid, I semi-did what I was told for 10 years, then I got out. Big friggin whoop.....

Attachments

• 1xwjnx.jpg
    1xwjnx.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
Back