• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

I think there is far more to this story then has been shown yet in this thread.

shawn5o said:
I agree NP

I wonder if there is any legal options available to him

:cheers:

Sure.

The first step is to analyse if the RCL agency that did the expulsion acted within the RCL's by-laws. The fact that he says that he didn't even know that there was a hearing makes me wonder if he received proper notice. The appropriate rules start at Article III.

If the hearing was not conducted in accordance with the by-laws, then a court could interfere and issue a mandatory injunction to force a re-hearing with all the appropriate provisions in place. The court would not, however, substitute it's own decision for that of the appropriate RCL panel tasked with such a hearing.

Gentle reminder, going to court costs money, and the court can order a partial recovery of those costs in favour of the winning party.

:cheers:

X Royal said:
I think there is far more to this story then has been shown yet in this thread.

Turning over rocks can uncover things best left undisturbed.  Others viewing this story may have also started speculating about the personalities involved, digging down to see who may be the more sympathetic - a war veteran with the medals on the left side displaying his service or "possibly" someone who never served in uniform whose medals are all on the right side.  Having found only one tiny photo of the successor to the branch's presidency, no comment can be made about his service.  However, in looking at Mr. Jackson's collection of miniatures worn on his blazer in the photo accompanying the story, I can't help but notice a possible discrepancy between those items and some details provided in the posted article.

As a young Jewish teenager from Glasgow, he joined the Scots Guard in 1943, but wasn't assigned to fight overseas. Instead, he became an instructor, giving sub-machine gun training to British commandos until the war's end.

He was sent overseas after the war and served in various countries, including Italy and France.

If those details are correct, then why is he wearing 39-45 Star, Italy Star, and France and Germany Star?

Blackadder,

I was about to ask the same question. There is even a question if he is entitled to the Defence Medal, as that was awarded for "three years" of service in the UK.

With the recurring news articles of Branches of the RCL on the brink of collapse, is this the time to know exactly what happens to all the memorabilia those Branches collected and preserved? Those items were donated by veterans and their families to Branches of a national veterans organization for safekeeping. What happens next should be known without waiting until a building is emptied and sold before those families start asking what happened to the artifacts.

The federal government has announced support to veterans organisations, including the RCL; up to $20M.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7456748/coronavirus-legions-branches-closing-20-brink/

dapaterson said:
The federal government has announced support to veterans organisations, including the RCL; up to $20M.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7456748/coronavirus-legions-branches-closing-20-brink/

Considering how many legion branches there are, 20 million would mean less then 50k, probably even lower per branch, which would cover operations costs for maybe a month for a branch. Token measure.

It won't even cover the debt most branches have. Never mind monthly operating costs.

dapaterson said:

With the Legion, I wonder if that is not the equivalent to propping up video stores 10 years ago....

What about the laser video discs? Turning them over mid-film was something of a downer, but the picture quality was much better.

Navy_Pete said:
What about the laser video discs? Turning them over mid-film was something of a downer, but the picture quality was much better.

Society has gone steadily downhill since we moved away from film strips with a cassette tape with BEEPs to change to the next frame.

dapaterson said:
Society has gone steadily downhill since we moved away from film strips with a cassette tape with BEEPs to change to the next frame.

And you needed a course and a projectionist license.

Does anyone else have significant misgivings about this Legion offering?

https://www.poppystore.ca/poppy-puppy-7-600101

:facepalm:

AK

AK said:

Not for me. But, I remember years ago being sent into the homes of older people - some of which looked like Legion museums.  :)

When I was a kid, the Legion ( it's gone now ) was a "big deal" in our neighbourhood. ( Also happened to be the only place you could get a drink. )

mariomike said:
Not for me. But, I remember years ago being sent into the homes of older people - some of which looked like Legion museums.  :)

When I was a kid, the Legion ( it's gone now ) was a "big deal" in our neighbourhood. ( Also happened to be the only place you could get a drink. )

I don't have an issue with the Legion and it's poppy merchandise at all.  It's just that when I look at the image of the "Poppy Puppy", I don't see poppies...  I see something darker.

AK

AK said:
I don't have an issue with the Legion and it's poppy merchandise at all.  It's just that when I look at the image of the "Poppy Puppy", I don't see poppies...  I see something darker.

AK

Like it was nailed with a 12 gauge?

AK said:

:facepalm:

AK

Looks like it took a load of buckshot.

Back