• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

They must think it gives them an advantage, if they put it in there. What advantage, I don't know. Designated polling stations are picked to be the closest an most accessible to the people in a specific area. Why would someone travel so far out of their way to vote at a station not in their area? I can see some instances, like hitting a station near work or while shopping. But those isolated cases shouldn't warrant a change in legislation.

As has been said, when a single party coalition comes back, with ready to go legislation to change the way we vote, it needs to be looked at under a microscope. I would propose a committee of all parties be struck to look at changes or if they are even warranted or needed. The coalition government can then table their amendments for discussion and prove the need for them.

My biggest concern is that these proposals almost mirror current legislation in the US that caused so much angst and mistrust in their last election. There is zero need, here, for extended voting days. We already have more than enough ways of satisfying voter needs, without spending three days watching numbers go up and down while accepting loads of mail in ballots over the period.

Our system allows for scrutinized, hand counted paper ballots. We have been shown capable of counting and determining winners and losers in one day. I see no need to change that.

The one thing I would change is that no winners or numbers should be identified or televised nationally, until the last vote in BC is cast and their polls closed. There is nothing stopping polling stations from counting, so long as all the numbers, covering the whole nation are all released at one time, the next day.

In this current environment I would be very reluctant to change anything. As bad as some people may consider the status quo any change at this time is going to be deemed suspect. Any change will only further delegitimize the system. Better to play under last year's rules than start fiddling with the rule book at this stage.

This is the part that blows me away... the LPC/PMO knew going into Christmas that cost of living was a huge concern for Canadians, so why didn't someone say "Hey boss, maybe skip the destination Christmas this year and just hang out in the Ottawa/Montreal area."?

Have his own people lost touch with reality that badly, or has he just ignored the advice that he is given?
Psychopathic narcissist "my shit don't stink" is in his blood.

The one thing I would change is that no winners or numbers should be identified or televised nationally, until the last vote in BC is cast and their polls closed. There is nothing stopping polling stations from counting, so long as all the numbers, covering the whole nation are all released at one time, the next day.
I raised this in another forum and was told that the western concern is irrational. With 70% of the ridings being east of the Manitoba-Ontario border, so Eastern, Atlantic and NL time zones, I would say it is quite rational. The Quebec and Ontario polls close 3 hours before BC's.

I raised this in another forum and was told that the western concern is irrational. With 70% of the ridings being east of the Manitoba-Ontario border, so Eastern, Atlantic and NL time zones, I would say it is quite rational. The Quebec and Ontario polls close 3 hours before BC's.
It's not irrational. Most elections are not particularly close, but a few are, and a few of those are decided closely. A lot of people do - or used to - vote in the evening, which is the time affected by results from closed polls. Knowledge of results elsewhere can influence votes. NDP voters have been polled and some have admitted their choice of NDP or LPC depends on how well they think the CPC will do. There are plenty of NDP and LPC voters in BC. They don't have any right at all to information in real-time that allows them to further tune their strategic vote - they should have to make their choices behind the same veil of ignorance facing voters back east.

In this current environment I would be very reluctant to change anything. As bad as some people may consider the status quo any change at this time is going to be deemed suspect. Any change will only further delegitimize the system. Better to play under last year's rules than start fiddling with the rule book at this stage.
Agreed.

There has never been a government in our history with as much public distrust as the one we have now.

Tinkering with the election system needed to be done shortly after he was first elected, as part of his "Sunny Ways" and "Most transparent government in Canadian history..." honeymoon stage...

Tinkering with it now that an election is coming & his polling numbers are so low, it reeks of a dishonest attempt to be elected yet again...

I can't stress this enough, but I truly don't think we'd have a country left if he's given another 4 years.

I can't stress this enough, but I truly don't think we'd have a country left if he's given another 4 years.

It's not until one actually hits bottom that one can start to go up.

Perhaps what Canadians, Eastern Canadians I'm looking at us in particular, is exactly that.

I would propose a committee of all parties be struck to look at changes or if they are even warranted or needed.
The ruling party dominates all Committees, and in this government, their NDP collaborators. Constant "Rule of Order" shut down the CPC questioning at every opportunity. Add, their ability to end the meeting on a whim, opposite the submission of documents etc. Very little gets done.

You can watch these shenanigans on YouTube. Disgusting. Thus, your proposal for a Committee will fail IMHO.

The ruling party dominates all Committees, and in this government, their NDP collaborators. Constant "Rule of Order" shut down the CPC questioning at every opportunity. Add, their ability to end the meeting on a whim, opposite the submission of documents etc. Very little gets done.

You can watch these shenanigans on YouTube. Disgusting. Thus, your proposal for a Committee will fail IMHO.
And that's why it needs to be done. To show the people the shenanigans of the liberal coalition.

Back