• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Why? Should credit not be given where credit is due? Why can't you hate the libs for all the reasons they deserve hate (and there are many) and simultaneously praise the for any good ideas? Politics doesn't have to be a zero sum game.
See but you're thinking like a statesman and not like a mere pundit.

Identity politics is a blight on democracy, in that it removes the critical thinking component and creates a mindless drone out of the voter.

"I hate Team X because Team Y is my team" is best left for hockey or baseball, not politics. I have voted Red, Blue, and Orange at all levels based on the issues I saw as important. But to Team Blue I'm a "woke-snowflake" and to Team Or"Red"nge I'm a fascist bootlicker.

I think Lord Palmerston said it best:

"We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow."

Highly applicable in the political arena. I pity the man who blindly hitches their wagon to the same team of horses, without looking at the condition of the animals first.

because, I cannot forget the things like his treatment of two female cabinet ministers who lost because they were more ethical than himself or his treatment of a female reporter years ago or yes, his hypocrisy coming through with the blackface photos. I'm sure that he has some redeeming qualities but then so did Billy the Kid.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. You're ignoring the hard work and honesty of some true Canadians within the LPC. There are plenty of Liberal MPs (some former colleagues of mine) who genuinely believe in the programs that I listed above, and are super proud that they helped bring them to be (even if it was just by voting yes). You're taking all that away because the leader is a narcissist. Trudeau may have voted yes because "the program served some selfish ulterior need", but many back benchers voted yes because they genuinely believed in those programs. But, fuck all of them, I guess.

So, where these “good people” when Jody Wilson Raybould got chucked under the bus for failing to put her finger on the scales of justice for SNC?

Where were they during WE scam?

Where were they during arrivecan app?

Where were they when news first broke in 2019 about Chinese agents inside the Winnipeg Virology lab?

Where are they now, as every single committee looking into Chinese influence in Canada gets shut down?

Where are they now, when even you admit they have a narcissist for a leader?

If good people do nothing…

I am not anti-LPC, BTW, I could easily have been a Manley Liberal, had he run for the top job- they were more coherent than the Reform/Conservatives of that era.

So, where these “good people” when Jody Wilson Raybould got chucked under the bus for failing to put her finger on the scales of justice for SNC?

Where were they when news first broke in 2019 about Chinese agents inside the Winnipeg Virology lab?

Where are they now, as every single committee looking into Chinese influence in Canada gets shut down?

I am not anti-LPC, BTW, I could easily have been a Manley Liberal, had he run for the top job- they were more coherent than the Reform/Conservatives of that era.
This ^

I’m generally small-c minded, but that hasn’t kept me from choosing for those who believe in the country, not their own brand. I voted for Chrétien in 2000 and Martin in 2004, because they were doing what they promised and IMO what was best for the country and being moderate with getting Canada’s fiscal house in order.

I in know way see the current government as being anywhere near the calibre of Team Chretien/Martin, very far from it and I just do not trust that Trudeau and his team have all Canadians’ best interest at heart. I also choose not to accept feeling bad about it. The incessant “yeah, but they acknowledge it [insert notable shortcoming/ethical lapse/poor judgment/lack of transparency/etc] and are moving forward to be better” verbiage tires me…fine, people who willingly minimize the past to keep buying into ‘a better future’ are free to vote their will…but I still expect more from my representatives…no smarmy influencing the Solicitor General to show lenience to badly behaving corporations, no attempts to administratively withhold information about the nations security from Parliament, no blindly altruistic societal engineering efforts to form future citizens’ lifestyles into the desired image of the privileged few, and on…and on…

I’m at the point now where it’s like that point in Survivor at tribal council… “Jeff, I think it’s time to vote!”

We’ll see how the postponed (April vice traditional February announcement) Federal budget and potentially Trudeau’s attempting to buy the electorate and potentially push Canada’s debt perilously close to 2 TRILLION DOLLARS, will help his numbers…
Sorry mate, things got worse faster than most could process...

I believe we've crossed that threshold and are sitting at a $2.1 trillion in national debt (probably more, as I read that number a few months ago)

Rumour is he's also to be in the process of borrowing an additional $500 billion - yes, billion - for Canada to spend. So how that all ends up going is as good as anybody guess...

The polls, public surveys, social media, international media, etc all say the same thing...Justin sucks and Canadians are tired of him. He knows this, he just doesn't care - but he does want to remain PM. So your suggestion of him wanting to buy the electorate I think is bang on...

I suspect that borrowing may have something to do with the budgets release being delayed? (Could be entirely unrelated, I have no idea...)

I believe we've crossed that threshold and are sitting at a $2.1 trillion in national debt (probably more, as I read that number a few months ago)

Yeah, your right, CBH…$2.13T, but for combined Fed+Prov debt.

Rumour is he's also to be in the process of borrowing an additional $500 billion - yes, billion - for Canada to spend. So how that all ends up going is as good as anybody guess...
I believe Freeland was quoted as authorizing $571 Billion… 😔

My thoughts are that he doesn't want an election. He knows his party will be all but decimated, that he will go down as the worst PM of all time. He knows his legacy is unsalvageable. Same with Freeland, she's done like a dogs dinner. Her (Canadian) political career is over. I doubt she wants to be in charge of a ten person party.

No, I think they're both hanging around in order to do as much damage as possible to Canada. There's still something of a military left to gut. There's still more credit to run up a bigger deficit on. He's made a mockery of the Constitution, enacted divisive, dangerous laws, tried to disarm the population and sold us out to Red China. Resources, land, bio research, corrupted our government and federal police, allowed them to meddle in our elections. He is the most dishonest, law breaking, psycopathic narcissist in politics.

He's a spiteful little coward that hates us and wants to see us on our knees.

I would say two reasons. For one, I'm talking about legislators, and for the most part these things fall under the realm of the executive. It's not really the place for the member of the governing party to call out the government itself even if they don't agree with the executive's decisions. That's literally why we have a loyal opposition. The members of the governing body are supposed to have a much lower "standard of 'card'" than the opposition. You couldn't say that you had the overall confidence of the house if your own party was constantly infighting.

But for a more practical reason, those same "honest" members I alluded to above probably shut up and towed the party line because they know the can get a lot more good done from within the party than outside of it as an independent.

Look, your allowing this particular sub-thread to spiral in a direction that is beyond the scope of the original discussion between @CBH99 and I.

He claimed that not a single piece of legislation enacted by the Liberals was done "with the intention of helping Canadians". I disagree. There is a lot of legislation that has done actual good for Canadians.

Even if you believe that Justin Trudeau is 100% selfish and doesn't actually care about Canadians at all, and hasn't once in 9 years done anything "for the sake of Canadians" (which I think is BS), that still wouldn't prove @CBH99 's point, because the are enough members of the LPC, both in parliament and in the party as a whole, who worked on, supported, and helped enact these laws because they believed it would help Canadians. Not every one in the LPC is weasel faced Guilbeault and wants to burn the country down for the sake of their own egos.

He knows his party will be all but decimated,
Pedantic Don here. But I think the Liberals would be relieved if they were Decimated in the next election (using the old meaning). They'd go from 156 seats to 141.
Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

Pedantic Don here. But I think the Liberals would be relieved if they were Decimated in the next election (using the old meaning). They'd go from 156 seats to 141.
Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

Perhaps they’ll be nona-decimated? Much less desirable to lose 9/10ths… 😉

I would say two reasons. For one, I'm talking about legislators, and for the most part these things fall under the realm of the executive. It's not really the place for the member of the governing party to call out the government itself even if they don't agree with the executive's decisions. That's literally why we have a loyal opposition. The members of the governing body are supposed to have a much lower "standard of 'card'" than the opposition. You couldn't say that you had the overall confidence of the house if your own party was constantly infighting.

But for a more practical reason, those same "honest" members I alluded to above probably shut up and towed the party line because they know the can get a lot more good done from within the party than outside of it as an independent.

Look, your allowing this particular sub-thread to spiral in a direction that is beyond the scope of the original discussion between @CBH99 and I.

He claimed that not a single piece of legislation enacted by the Liberals was done "with the intention of helping Canadians". I disagree. There is a lot of legislation that has done actual good for Canadians.

Even if you believe that Justin Trudeau is 100% selfish and doesn't actually care about Canadians at all, and hasn't once in 9 years done anything "for the sake of Canadians" (which I think is BS), that still wouldn't prove @CBH99 's point, because the are enough members of the LPC, both in parliament and in the party as a whole, who worked on, supported, and helped enact these laws because they believed it would help Canadians. Not every one in the LPC is weasel faced Guilbeault and wants to burn the country down for the sake of their own egos.
All of what you say may be true regarding the legislation may be true but that doesn't cancel out the harm that the current government has done to Canada AND to individual Canadians. We would have been far better off if none of that legislation had been passed and Justin had remained a dance instructor at a private school.

The claim was that not a single piece of legislation was enacted with the intention of helping Canadians.
The Trudeau Liberals consistently only do what's good for the Liberal Party. Canada., to hell with it. We demand power as the natural governing party.

Absolute bull shit. The PMO tells them what to do and like lemmings they do it.
They lie through their teeth all the time. Honesty, never heard of it.

The liberals are a gang: an organized group of criminals.

The liberals are a Clear and Present Danger to Canada and our Allies.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. You're ignoring the hard work and honesty of some true Canadians within the LPC. There are plenty You're taking all that away because the leader is a narcissist. Trudeau may have voted yes because "the program served some selfish ulterior need", but many back benchers voted yes because they genuinely believed in those programs. But, fuck all of them, I guess.
I've heard this song before. "But there are many good people in...". Great, but does their ability and energy and ethical backbone extend to replacing the narcissist and his lackeys, or re-asserting the power of ordinary MPs in Parliament to bring the PMO to heel and impose the MPs' will? No. If they could do that, they'd merit respect. If they can't, they're not much better than lap dogs. If the interests of the party are consistently allowed to override the interests of Canada, no amount of protestations about hard work and honesty are going to sway me. It's fair to judge politicians by the leaders they freely chose and retain.

the are enough members of the LPC, both in parliament and in the party as a whole, who worked on, supported, and helped enact these laws because they believed it would help Canadians.
Paving stones on the road to hell. Programs help some people. Programs also harm some people. There's no point talking about one without the other. Refusal to try to see the "unseen" (per Bastiat) is negligence. Refusal to substantially modify or undo badly executed intentions is worse.

Part of the cost of government borrowing is upward pressure on inflation rates, which prompts BoC to raise interest rates. And everyone with a mortgage, or carrying other debt, is f*cked over a little more (some a lot more). Can they ever possibly see the cause and effect and vote accordingly? Many, apparently not. They choose to whine about their hardship and demand government "do something" - which means more borrowing, which means sustained upward pressure on inflation rates, which means sustained higher BoC rates, which means being more f*cked over, which means whining about their hardship...

The Trudeau Liberals consistently only do what's good for the Liberal Party. Canada., to hell with it. We demand power as the natural governing party.

Absolute bull shit. The PMO tells them what to do and like lemmings they do it.
They lie through their teeth all the time. Honesty, never heard of it.

The liberals are a gang: an organized group of criminals.

The liberals are a Clear and Present Danger to Canada and our Allies.

You could literally replace "LPC with CPC" and your entire post would be equally true.

Back