• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

‘Bike culture’ enjoys limited receptivity among Canadians

No, that’s a fair question. Where do we draw the line? Are we going to require kids to hold a “bicycle license” to bike on public roads or on bike paths in a neighbourhood? If so, at what stage? When we kiddie wheels come off? Pedestrians also need to follow rules. Do we require a license to make sure they know and are capable of following the rules?

Draw the line at bikes and anything with a motor that's on a road.

Age requirements are up for debate.

Do we stop assuming that a single test at age 16 is sufficient?

That's a solid question.

Age requirements are up for debate.
It needs to be consistent across the board. A six year old using a bike on the street is as (if not more) prone to causing accidents than an adult. Do you suggest we issue bike licenses to 6 year olds? Would those license be municipally or provincially regulated? Are ww going to have to pay for those every time we move?

There is a lot to consider when coming up with ideas and something that looks like a good idea on the surface may not be when considering all factors.

It needs to be consistent across the board. A six year old using a bike on the street is as (if not more) prone to causing accidents than an adult. Do you suggest we issue bike licenses to 6 year olds? Would those license be municipally or provincially regulated? Are ww going to have to pay for those every time we move?

There is a lot to consider when coming up with ideas and something that looks like a good idea on the surface may not be when considering all factors.

Like I said we can have an exception for bikes not being used on roads.

Or have designated routes perhaps. The busy arteries in and out of congested areas required liscencing ect ect to be on, but side streets no.

Treat them just like a car. Registrations, stickers, hell why not safety inspections too.

I was on a walking/biking trail one day when one of those motorized electric scooters complete with a provincial license plate and a rider decided they should be allowed on there as well. I did not have a stick to jam the front spokes....

I was on a walking/biking trail one day when one of those motorized electric scooters complete with a provincial license plate and a rider decided they should be allowed on there as well. I did not have a stick to jam the front spokes....

Frustrating.

We can use the funds from this off set our carbon footprint :). Or buy carbon credits, whatever the term is now.

And the rider looked very "entitled" to the space despite the fact she was not supposed to be on there.

I do a lot of ruck marching and the place I normally go is off limits to motorized vehicles, I've stoped a few people and had conversations.

But is the same with dog shit bags, people just throw them all over in the park.

In fact I have to back in my driveway or the Fairview hood rats will leave their dog shit bags in the bed of my truck.

I like to catch them letting their dog shit in my wife's garden.

I do a lot of ruck marching and the place I normally go is off limits to motorized vehicles, I've stoped a few people and had conversations.

But is the same with dog shit bags, people just throw them all over in the park.

In fact I have to back in my driveway or the Fairview hood rats will leave their dog shit bags in the bed of my truck.

What? They clearly don't know the consequences of their actions....

american loop GIF

What? They clearly don't know the consequences of their actions....

american loop GIF

I have a good voice and a strong knife hand. I can normally solve problems with sharp loud "hey" and single or double knife hand.

If not, Im also a tight head prop, and I didn't get this good looking by avoiding physical violence ;)

Like I said we can have an exception for bikes not being used on roads.

Or have designated routes perhaps. The busy arteries in and out of congested areas required liscencing ect ect to be on, but side streets no.

Treat them just like a car. Registrations, stickers, hell why not safety inspections too.
Interesting. All this overhead for a fairly low risk activity for which rules can be enforced using currently established processes? Efficient…

For reference to the discussion regarding fines, licencing and e-bikes.

Looking at that clip, I didn't see a lot riders slowing down or looking both ways; most just seemed to blithely carry through the intersection at whatever speed they were travelling.

It's much easier to be aware of uncoming traffic at intersections on a bicycle.

If not making a full stop at that intersection was so dangerous, surely that TV crew would have a lot of footage of dangerous near misses and collisions , right ?

Interesting. All this overhead for a fairly low risk activity for which rules can be enforced using currently established processes? Efficient…
So just so I'm clear; implementing enforcement rules when all the tools necessary are already available is wrong? Asking for parliament a friend.

Wait wait wait - you ruck March????
😉

And the rider looked very "entitled" to the space despite the fact she was not supposed to be on there.
Actually not true (assuming wheel size under 20 inch). The Highway Traffic Act allows bike on the sidewalk if the wheel size is equal or less than 20 inches. It’s presumably targeted at kids bikes, traditionally 20” is for under ~8 years old but you can’t write the rule that way so they went with wheel size and the e bikes are taking advantage of that.

Back