• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen Vance announces retirement

For double score, keep Allen as the NATO MC CANMILREP and appoint Carignan as CDS.

Haggis said:
That was part of the CBC article posted above.  The Liberal government refused to put his name forward for the position of Chairman of the NATO Military Committee.  That post was last held by a Canadian when Gen Ray Henault was in the chair.
By refusing to nominate him for the NMC, the PMO clearly wanted him gone and out of uniform.  In that case, his departure may not have been entirely voluntary.

There are multiple reasons not to nominate.  Indications from NATO that someone else is already favoured is one; recent failure to get a UN security council seat could also influence such a decision - you don't want two strikes from international bodies in rapid succession.

I suspect there were multiple factors at play, and no one here likely knows them.  And if they do, I strongly doubt they'd be posting them online.

(That's what twitter DMs to the media to arrange coffee at the Bridgehead in the Rideau Centre are for).

[quote author=Haggis] By refusing to nominate him for the NMC, the PMO clearly wanted him gone and out of uniform.  In that case, his departure may not have been entirely voluntary.
[/quote]

Considering how much Canada spent on trying to get a UN seat it's surprising to say the least we weren't frothing at the mouth to land that spot.

Colin P said:
Maybe our current Governor General will ask for the post?  8)

Spurred on by the Navy's seman name change vote popularity maybe we'll see something similar for who we want as the CDS.

Some of the comments on Reddit on his departure.  :rofl:

Good2Golf said:
Remember, selection isn’t limited just to LGens.  Technically any General Officer could be appointed.

Don’t know for sure...could be amongst the following four or five, IMO.

MGen Frances Allen - Deputy VCDS

Hasn't General Allen already been committed, as a LGen, to a NATO job for this year?

Ostrozac said:
Hasn't General Allen already been committed, as a LGen, to a NATO job for this year?

Anything can change; unexpected departures change posting plots at all ranks.  Summer 2019, LGen Eyre returned from Korea, took command of MPC and the appointment as CMP; returned to Korea; came back (again) from Korea and took over the Army from LGen Lanthier (who became VCDS); at the ceremony where he handed over MPC / appointment as CMP to VAdm Edmundson some 66 days after he took over, he noted in his speech "I have to be honest.  I didn't quite manage to accomplish everything I intended."

dapaterson said:
Anything can change; unexpected departures change posting plots at all ranks.  Summer 2019, LGen Eyre returned from Korea, took command of MPC and the appointment as CMP; returned to Korea; came back (again) from Korea and took over the Army from LGen Lanthier (who became VCDS); at the ceremony where he handed over MPC / appointment as CMP to VAdm Edmundson some 66 days after he took over, he noted in his speech "I have to be honest.  I didn't quite manage to accomplish everything I intended."

I would question if anything major was accomplished with such a short post

Given the priorities of the current government, I would suspect they put as much careful thought in choosing the next CDS and they would picking the next ambassador to Uzbekistan.

They are going to pick someone who is willing to make cuts and reduce the CAF.  So yeah, they will be very careful with who they pick.

Remius said:
They are going to pick someone who is willing to make cuts and reduce the CAF.  So yeah, they will be very careful with who they pick.

Why bother? They control the budget anyway so cost cutting and a probable force reduction is already written on the wall. Willingness isn't the issue.

What they really need is to find someone who can take those cost reductions and make the hard decisions to reshape the force so that it is still credible and capable. (getting rid of 10,000 full-timers in Ottawa [including seventy-five or more GOFOs/senior civil servants and the hierarchy of Cols, LCols, Majs etc that support them] would be a good start first step - I'll start the bidding with 50 legal officers and two military judges plus staff as well as all of DNDCFLA  ;D)

Good luck finding someone within the organization with that skill set.

:stirpot:

FJAG said:
Why bother? They control the budget anyway so cost cutting and a probable force reduction is already written on the wall. Willingness isn't the issue.

What they really need is to find someone who can take those cost reductions and make the hard decisions to reshape the force so that it is still credible and capable. (getting rid of 10,000 full-timers in Ottawa [including seventy-five or more GOFOs/senior civil servants and the hierarchy of Cols, LCols, Majs etc that support them] would be a good start first step - I'll start the bidding with 50 legal officers and two military judges plus staff as well as all of DNDCFLA  ;D)

Good luck finding someone within the organization with that skill set.

:stirpot:

First you’d need the organization to accept that everything need not be approved by GOFOs and establish trust with the tactical level commanders.....

SupersonicMax said:
First you’d need the organization to accept that everything need not be approved by GOFOs and establish trust with the tactical level commanders.....

Keep that up and...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglyFwTjfDU

Back