• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

15 Oct 08 - Three CF Troops on Foot Ptl Injured in IED Blast

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery, folks...

Three Canadian soldiers wounded in blast during foot patrol in Afghanistan
Canadian Press, 15 Oct 08
Article link

Three Canadian soldiers have been wounded in an improvised explosive device blast during a foot patrol in a volatile district of Afghanistan west of Kandahar City.

Military spokesman Maj. Jay Janzen says the soldiers have been airlifted to the hospital on the Kandahar Airfield base, where one remains in critical condition and the other two are in fair condition.

Janzen says the explosion occurred today during a so-called "framework" patrol - "routine, day-to-day patrolling that Afghan National Security Forces, in co-operation with Canadian soldiers, do to maintain security in the area."

The spokesman says the names of the wounded soldiers will not be released.

They are members of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont.

They were in the area as part of an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team....

More on link

Get well, troops :salute:

FOR CLARIFICATION: THE SOLDIERS WERE NOT MEMBERS OF 3RD BATTALION, THE ROYAL CANADIAN REGIMENT.  Correction should appear in the media soon.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Get well, troops :salute:

FOR CLARIFICATION: THE SOLDIERS WERE NOT MEMBERS OF 3RD BATTALION, THE ROYAL CANADIAN REGIMENT.  Correction should appear in the media soon.

Do the media just guess at this stuff or do they actually wait for facts before printing something?

Wishing/hoping for a speedy recovery. These words and thoughts are all too common these days.

Thoughts are with their comrades they've left behind.

OWDU 

Get well soon troops!!

To the rest of you who remain....go get em!!

Flawed Design said:
Do the media just guess at this stuff or do they actually wait for facts before printing something?

Well, considering its the 3rd Battalion battle group there, they probably didn't know there was a difference between the OMLT/POMLT and the battle group. I know its their job to research this kind of thing, but we jump on every tiny mistake they make but get angry when they target us..

Corrected version from Canadian Press....

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Three Canadian soldiers have been wounded in an improvised explosive device blast during a foot patrol in a volatile district of Afghanistan west of Kandahar City.

Military spokesman Maj. Jay Janzen says the soldiers have been airlifted to the hospital on the Kandahar Airfield base, where one remains in critical condition and the other two are in fair condition.

Janzen says the explosion occurred Wednesday during a so-called "framework" patrol - "routine, day-to-day patrolling that Afghan National Security Forces, in co-operation with Canadian soldiers, do to maintain security in the area."

The spokesman says the names of the wounded soldiers will not be released.

The soldiers were from a variety of military units.

They were in the area as part of an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team, one of several small groups of Canadian soldiers attached to Afghan National Army units to help guide their development

More on link

Globe & Mail version still needs correcting.

FOR CLARIFICATION: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  Correction should appear in the media soon.

That is not for you to say, not here nor elsewhere on the internet on open source.

People not where you are do not know that.

Speedy recovery to the troops...  :salute:
                   Best Regards,,,
                      Scoty B

Prairie Dog said:
"Citation de: Mortarman Rockpainter le Hier à 08:43:17

FOR CLARIFICATION: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  Correction should appear in the media soon."

That is not for you to say, not here nor elsewhere on the internet on open source.

I don't know if you know who is Mortamar...

Maybe because I'm a civie, but I don't see anything wrong with him
saying that the hurts ones don't belong to a particular battalion.
He is reassuring loves and loving ones, without scaring anyone, as he
doesn't say to which battalion they belong...

Yrys said:
I don't know if you know who is Mortamar...

Maybe because I'm a civie, but I don't see anything wrong with him
saying that the hurts ones don't belong to a particular battalion.
He is reassuring loves and loving ones, without scaring anyone, as he
doesn't say to which battalion they belong...
Still though, it is OPSEC.

Beav

Prairie Dog said:

Actually, it was for me to say.  There was misinformation in the media.  "They" said it was 3 RCR BG.  "They" were wrong.  It was not OPSEC.  If I said his name was "Joe Bloggins of 123 Fake Street, and he suffered a severe diaper rash", THAT would be OPSEC.

Edit: before I typed in my post (the original one, not this), the PAO was already on the media, and corrections were being made.  The Western Papers had it right, the Eastern Papers had it wrong (they had already gone to print).  The info was out there already, just not well disseminated.

Actually, it was for me to say.  There was misinformation in the media.  "They" said it was 3 RCR BG.  "They" were wrong.  It was not OPSEC.  If I said his name was "Joe Bloggins of 123 Fake Street, and he suffered a severe diaper rash", THAT would be OPSEC.
Seen, thanks for the clarification.

Beav

Regarding OPSEC, the Taliban know who they are fighting. They know which organization is manning what piece of the Afghan pie. Let there be no doubt of that. It doesn't take much for a Taliban/AQ operative in Canada ( and yes there are Taliban/AQ operatives in Canada) to find out who is going next. It's practically advertised on TV. Like Larry the Cable Guy says:
"you ain't gotta be head cashier at the Wal mart to figure that out".

A bit more, from the Sudbury Star:
A Sudbury reservist was critically injured Wednesday along with two other soldiers when an improvised explosive device detonated during a routine morning foot patrol west of Kandahar city.  To respect the wishes of the family, The Sudbury Star will not release the soldier's name or the extent of his injuries until his condition stabilizes ....

Continued prayers for this and the other wounded to recover....

Back