• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

17 steps of battle procedure

For the definitive battle procedure, refer to the USOP/TAM.

Mission analysis and the estimate (or combat estimate) are two distinct processes.

Army Electronic Library
B-GL-300-003/FP-000 COMMAND:

BATTLE PROCEDURE IMPLEMENTATION
SECTION TO SUB-UNIT COMMANDERS
At the lower levels of command, battle procedure has been refined over time into a drill consisting of 15 steps. Chapter 2 discussed the required leadership attributes of this level of command. It is the section/crew; platoon/troop and sub-unit that the army depends upon for the final execution of Battle Procedure that may well have begun at the strategic level. The order and
number of steps are important, as a common drill fosters uniformity and mutual understanding within the army.
The steps are as follows:
· Receive Warning Order
· Conduct a Quick Map Study and Time Estimate
· Receipt of Orders
· Conduct Mission Analysis
· Issue Initial Warning Order
· Make a Detailed Time Estimate
· Conduct a Map Study and Prepare an Outline Plan
· Prepare a Reconnaissance Plan
· Conduct Reconnaissance
· Do Remainder of Estimate
· Issue a Supplementary Warning Order
· Prepare and Issue Orders
· Coordinate Activities and Requirements of Subordinates
· Supervise Deployment
· Execute the Mission
This drill is a flexible guide to preparation for battle. Time and tactical
constraints will dictate the steps to abbreviate or drop for that particular cycle. The combat estimate, for example, can be shortened to a few notes on a map. However, the first step of the estimate, Mission Analysis—the understanding of
higher commander's intent—is crucial to our command philosophy of Mission Command and must be completed for each cycle of decision-making. Table 6.2 shows how the 15 step drill fits into the four stages of Battle Procedure. The table also compares the drill at the lower tactical levels with the actions of the commander who has a staff available to assist him with Battle Procedure.

seven p‘s. proper, planning ,procedure, prevents ,piss poor performance. Much more crude but drives it home for the new guys.

No truer words have ever been stated in our military. If something is screwed up, its likely because someone missed the seven P‘s.

Your right, 5 min of thought ahead of time usually gets you out of hours of trying to recover from the sh!t later.
Please note that this was meant to be a reply to "17 steps of battle procedure" post but I hit the wrong button...... :confused:
Ps... It was 17 steps until the release of this new pam....

Do not fear the PLQ mods.  Show up and you have already passed the course.  Unfotunatley, the forever changing methods and ideas as how we should train JNCOs has left the actual course somewhat lacking in hardness.  The intergration of all services  and trades on 1-5 has enabled networking time and little else.  Yeah, ya gety to know some different dudes and dudettes, but thats about it.  Computer based training to train a junior leader, yeah, whatever.  And if you are lucky, you may have some instructors who have been cbt arms inAstan over the last year and a bit, but they will still have to teach as the school requires, and anyone who has done a PLQ lately knows what I mean.  So be  professional on crse, but do not get wrapped around the axle.  Some people will, and you will sit back and wonder why.  And the 15 steps of battle procedure sound good in  theory, but in reality you will skip half due to time and the mission.

When I saw 17 Steps of battle procedure I got really sad.  I just got off a course that taught us 15 steps and I thought "Oh god they changed it already?"  Thankfully I read the rest of the thread and found out I'm still current with my 15.  a23trucker Posted exactly what I was taught - and yes when applying them you do glaze over some steps.  Are you going to do a recce when you've been scampering about the same square Km all day? (or in same cases setting up the very next room which you were just in).

I was also taught that the 15 steps are just a tool to use.  It will be usefull when you're sleep deprived and you're likely to miss out something obvious - and important. It also allows for a flow, people know what to expect.  Once you've worked on a few small party taskings you'll understand the flow - so that when you're the one in charge it just makes sense to do it that way.

I've seen people fail BOTP II.  What happened was they tried to memorize the list without actually understanding it.  This would lead them to skip steps - giving formal orders before the warning order,  not explaining what is actually supposed to be done,  where to go on the recce when to come back etc.  I feel two things are extremely important to understand:  the big picture, who's doing what/when  and how the people you are directing see things.  Just because you know the big picture, doesn't mean they do, you have to let them know the overall picture so that they can help you (trust me they want to help)

Battle Procedure is useful evidence that civilian bureaucratic control has not penetrated to the part of the army that matters.  Otherwise, it would be 121 steps by now.

Brad Sallows said:
Battle Procedure is useful evidence that civilian bureaucratic control has not penetrated to the part of the army that matters.  Otherwise, it would be 121 steps by now.

And most of the 104 extra steps would be some form of "conferencing" and/or "giving/getting feedback."

213.gif

This is pretty much off-target here, but still sort of in the same lane.

Planner's Rule of Management
Adapted from "Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook"
by Scott Adams

1. The Boss is always right, even when he is stupid.
  2. The physical laws of time and space were meant to be broken.
  3. The problem is not a lack of resources, it's a lack of meetings.
  4. When in doubt, ask for status reports.
  5. If the Boss is talking, then he's communicating.
  6. Low morale is caused by character flaws in the planners.
  7. If ten people can complete a plan in ten days, then one person can complete the plan in one day.
  8. Teamwork is when other people do your work for you.
  9. Sickness in a planner is a manifestation of laziness.
  10. Abuse is a form of recognition. And recognition is what every planner wants.

I wish I could take credit, but this is from the Military Humor Page, which if you've ever been assigned to echelons above reality, you owe it to yourself to check out. Be warned and be careful about drinking beverage while you're reading since any liquid in your mouth may wind up on the monitor due to laughing so hard. Here's the link:

http://www.nbc-links.com/humor.html

In the dark ages, when we wrote in complete sentences rather than in ‘points,’ battle procedure was (something like): “the whole process by which a commander* does his reconnaissance, makes his appreciation‡ and plan†, and issues the orders** to commit his troops to battle.”

Maybe Old Sweat still has his copy of the ‘little red book’ in which that, and other useful folk wisdom from 1939/45, was found.

----------
* any commander, from LCpl sec 2I/C through to Comd 1 CDN Army

‡ now the ‘estimate’ I believe – the difference being, I suppose, that we old farts appreciated (≈ understood through reason) while you young fellows ‘estimate’ (≈ guess)

† the plan is, actually, the outcome of the appreciation but our masters always thought it worth mentioning that we ought to have one – no matter how rough and ready

** always including warning orders

E.R. Campbell said:
...now the ‘estimate’ I believe – the difference being, I suppose, that we old farts appreciated (≈ understood through reason) while you young fellows ‘estimate’ (≈ guess)

;D

Edward,

I think the little red book you meant is The Handbook of Unit Administration and Discipline, which did not deal with battle procedure. The only little red books I have are my copies of Otter's Guide, 1885 edition and a 1904 musketry pam, neither of which gets into battle procedure. I went through my collection of archaic pamphlets, but came up short.

Your definition is pretty good and I won't try to improve on it from memory. I agree with your point re appreciate and estimate.

I know we both used to deplore staff work by photocopier; now we have a new target for our geriatric spite: staff work by power point. Maybe the video professor will become the modern version of Staff Duties in the Field.

Oh man! Don't get me started on how much I hate Power Point. Is it as widely used in the CF as it is in the US Army? If it is, I'm sorry. Extracts from http://www.nbc-links.com/officers.html

3. A unit that has no money for new computers or spare parts will still manage to afford a big-screen TV for Powerpoint slide shows.

4. A bad plan with good slides is better than a good plan with bad slides.

5. Three sergeants thinking about an issue dealing with their MOS for four months and coming up with a detailed plan is not as good as a colonel who knows nothing about their MOS thinking about it for 30 seconds.

11. Officers believe that a plan won't succeed unless it has a good name, like "Operation Intrinsic Action." NCOs would rather give it something simple, like "Operation Beat Their *&^%$ Heads In" and get on with it.

16. The more warning one has for a briefing, the more cheese one can provide for the briefing. Improving content is secondary.

Old Sweat said:
I know we both used to deplore staff work by photocopier; now we have a new target for our geriatric spite: staff work by power point. Maybe the video professor will become the modern version of Staff Duties in the Field.

I thought Jack Layton was the video professor - in his free time.

Red 6

In my latest book I wrote about a certain Canadian general and his ultra-sophisticated plans. Instead of believing that no plan survives contact with the enemy, I opined that he knew that no enemy could survive contact with his plan. Thus, when things went wrong, it was the fault of his subordinates, thank you very much.

Old Sweat said:
Edward,

I think the little red book you meant is The Handbook of Unit Administration and Discipline, which did not deal with battle procedure. The only little red books I have are my copies of Otter's Guide, 1885 edition and a 1904 musketry pam, neither of which gets into battle procedure. I went through my collection of archaic pamphlets, but came up short.

Your definition is pretty good ...

Maybe it was good ol' CAMT 1-8, that was always a crowd pleaser at promotion exam time, or 7-45, another favourite - I recall memorizing it, along with the principles of administration (was 'surprise' one of 'em) and the capabilities and limitations of the artillery - the limitations, if I recall, being limitless.  :-*

Need some help with the 17 steps of battle procedure in the following areas:

1. Need a good word doc or pdf template that can be used for an exercise

2. if anyone of you was to do an exercise lasting 12 hours........what would your detailed time and map estimate look like, taking into consideration a "no move before" certain time?

3. What are good default factors to use for coming up with COAs, if you were to setup a comms equipment?

Thx in advance

Back