• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 snowbirds crash

sdimock

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/12/10/snowbird-crash041210.html

Jesus no. Jesus no.

I pray they ejected. I fear they did not. Thoughts are with their families.

Jesus no.

Prayers to the families.

Two snowbird jets crash south of Saskatchewan

CTV.ca News Staff

The military confirms two Canadian Forces Snowbird jets have crashed near Mossbank, Saskatchewan, about 65 kilometres south of Moose Jaw.

Airforce officials say the planes crashed in mid-air during a routine exercise Friday morning.

The pilots were able to eject safely and were not injured in the crash.

Capt. Jay Walker of 15 Wing, the Snowbirds' Saskatchewan home base, reported search and rescue crews had been dispatched to the site.

More to come ...
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1102698891332_98108091/?hub=TopStories
-------------
Thank god.

From CTV at 0950 pacific time

"Walker said the status of the pilots is unclear at this time, despite earlier reports that said the pilots were able to eject safely."

From CBC

Defence Department spokesperson Heather Bruner said both pilots were able to eject after the crash, which happened at 10 a.m. local time.

Keep praying for them.

I hope they are ok, my thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

Just like the submariners only had minor injures.  Lets what for the fog to lift here.  Send out our prayers and nervously wait for more confirmation.

Good point CFL

Newsworld is now saying one of the pilots died. :'(
I give my condolances

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/12/10/snowbird-crash041210.html

Pilot dies in Snowbird crash over Saskatchewan
Last Updated Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:01:34 EST

MOSSBANK, SASK. - Two Canadian Forces Snowbirds crashed in mid-air Friday morning while on a routine practice flight over Saskatchewan, killing one pilot.

The Defence Department confirmed the death Friday afternoon, but has not yet released the pilot's identity.
Canadian Air Force Snowbirds fly over Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. (CP file photo)

The two jets crashed while the famed jets were flying near Mossbank, about 112 kilometres from Regina.

Defence Department spokesperson Heather Bruner said both pilots were able to eject after the 10 a.m. local crash.

Captain Jay Walker of 15 Wing Moose Jaw, home base to the aerobatic team, said there was one pilot on each aircraft.

Lt. Andrea Collins said a ground search and rescue team is at the site, about 65 kilometres south of Moose Jaw.

The Canadian Forces is scheduled to hold a news conference at CFB Moose Jaw later Friday.

All flying training missions at the base have been suspended during the investigation into the crash.

The Snowbirds fly 11 Canadair Tutor aircraft: nine perform as a team in air shows and two other spare jets fill in when the others are down for maintenance or repairs. The planes were used as training aircraft by the air force until 2000.

In May, two pilots from 15 Wing escaped from a Hawk training jet before it crashed into a field northwest of the base.

Written by CBC News Online staff

It was Capt Miles Selby, the opposing solo. The other was Chuck Mallett, lead solo, and he's in hospital right now.

Ejecting isn't guarantee of anything ladies and gents, it gives you a chance to survive.  Look at that Hawk crash back in May, the Hawks have Martin Baker Mk16 seats, one of the best seats on the market and the Cdn instructor ended up with a broken pelvis and femur.

A sad day in Moose Jaw and the rest of Canada without a doubt. My thoughts go out to his family in this difficult time.

Wow Capt. Vandenboss died 6 years ago to this day. Anyways Thoughts go out to the families :cdn:

RIP to the pilot who died. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, and to the other pilot who crashed. May he make a speedy recovery. :salute: :cdn:

Just wanted to add my condolences and prayers to Miles's family and wish Chuch a speedy recovery.

Sam

Inch said:
*snip*

Ejecting isn't guarantee of anything ladies and gents, it gives you a chance to survive.  

*snip*

You can say that again, Inch.

Pulling the 'loud handle' isn't something you take lightly.  You're sitting on a rocket, folks, and it doesn't give a nice, smooth ride.  The ride 'up the rail' on some models can cause injuries on its own, most commonly compacted vertebrae.  (The training isn't all that pleasant either.  The simulator once used by the CF frequently caused minor neck and back injuries...enough to get grounded for a month.)

Better hope that *all* the components will work properly.  It would suck if the stirrups didn't pull back and hold your legs on the way out...or you're going to be shorter when you land.  

Now you meet the air, which, if you're not in the ideal ejection window, will feel like hitting a brick wall.  All those carefully packed survival staples?  Hope that your vest is well made...since it's not uncommon to lose pockets & contents, or your helmet, or boots, as the air rips them off.  Better hope you're flying like you're supposed to...with the visor *down*.  If you're doing something, oh, like posing for your wingman's camera, and you're wearing shades...well..."ouch" is the word that comes to mind.

The separation sequence can cause problems; the seat, designed to fall away, sometimes doesn't, or snags on some strap. (Chuck Yeager once punched out of a modified F-104, and the seat conveniently fell at the same rate he did...with the rocket burning his face & hands.)  Or the raft & seat pan jerks at your body like a pitbull after a snack.   (A crewman - can't remember if he was the pilot or B/N - of an A-6 used in the Lebanon strikes survived bailing out...only to die of blood loss when the seat pan, containing survival supplies, amputated his leg on landing.)

The chute isn't a sport parachute, or even the ones you guys crazy enough to jump out of planes use.  It's a smaller 'life saver' with a higher rate of descent.  Broken legs are not uncommon.

More advanced models, like those on the Russian Mig-29's & Su-27 family are 'smart', modifying the ejection process based on speed, altitude, and attitude to provide the best survival rate.  Those on the US F/A-22 incorporate arm guards, as well as leg stirrups, to minimize flail injury.

However, there are still many in service which are basic bang seats...not even zero/zero models (which allow ejection even at zero altitude & airspeed).  If you're not within the acceptable parameters for ejection, better pray that the Force is with you...

-----------------------------

My prayers go out to the family & friends of those involved in this mishap.

Back