• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 meter Beep Test -Merged

If you want to train for the beep/bleep/shuttle run test all you have to do is run 25-30m while listening to the audio track. That way when you do the 20m its a breeze. Long distance running will help some, but its the stopping and starting that drain your energy as you have to accelerate at all times. Anyone needs the track I posted it on the site and a few others have, if you cannot find it PM me.

fischer10 said:
If you want to train for the beep/bleep/shuttle run test all you have to do is run 25-30m while listening to the audio track. That way when you do the 20m its a breeze. Long distance running will help some, but its the stopping and starting that drain your energy as you have to accelerate at all times. Anyone needs the track I posted it on the site and a few others have, if you cannot find it PM me.

You know, I've been around a lot longer than the 20m shuttle run, and not once have I ever seen anyone doing shuttles as any form of regular exercise program.  Tens of thousands of people have passed the Expres test by plain old running/walking/marching with minor variations on the themes.  Stop trying to find ways to beat a particular test, and start looking at your overal fitness level and you won't need to worry about any of the individual tests.

The shuttle run is as difficult as you make it before you go into it.  The level a young man has to hit (6) isn't all that high, and you need to realize that going into it.  I mean, depending on your fitness level you might have to dig deep between levels 4 and 6, but that equals about two minutes of serious effort -- which I think a lot of people can find in themselves if it's something they really want.

Another important thing is just not getting too excited early on.  From levels 1 to 3, try to be one of the last guys to hit the line between beeps.  Obviously don't be stupid about it, but you don't need to lead the pack and early on you can afford to be behind guys because the first 3 or 4 levels aren't really too hard.

What I aimed for was to hit the line close to the beep so I didn't really ever come to a complete stop.

Eh, there's lots of little 'tricks', but just go hard and if you feel like you're gonna collapse but you've got one or two more levels left, just remind yourself how close you are and how much easier life will be if you can just make it and avoid all the politics that comes with failing the express test haha.

Occam said:
You know, I've been around a lot longer than the 20m shuttle run, and not once have I ever seen anyone doing shuttles as any form of regular exercise program.  Tens of thousands of people have passed the Expres test by plain old running/walking/marching with minor variations on the themes.  Stop trying to find ways to beat a particular test, and start looking at your overal fitness level and you won't need to worry about any of the individual tests.

I'm not talking about meeting the standard, I'm talking about getting high score on it so you can be exempt ie. the 10.5... Why would anyone want to just aim for the 6.0, Just my opinion. An over all fitness level is a goal to reach as well, no doubts about it.

fischer10 said:
Why would anyone want to just aim for the 6.0, Just my opinion.

An honest answer to this would be: "Someone might choose not to train for a higher level on the beep test if it would conflict with their other personal fitness goals."

I have never done a 20m beep test until I did BMQ and I passed. The minimum for us women is 4 and guys is 6, I got 6 and I don't run all that much. What happens is you start off with a PSP staff, they run up to level 2 to help set the pace, from there you are on your own. Everyone passed the test on my platoon the first time...don't worry, you'll be fine.

You will do the CF Express twice, one during the first week and one in week 8.

At grad, there will be top male and female athlete award...FYI. ;)

Hey guys- before I do my runs I actually run the 20m MSR as a warm up. I like the burn-

but I use the Aussie one. Earlier in the thread people alluded to it being different. Different harder or different easier (accent jokes aside HARHAR)?

Im really hoping that it isnt a slower pace than the Canadian one.

Container said:
Hey guys- before I do my runs I actually run the 20m MSR as a warm up. I like the burn-

but I use the Aussie one. Earlier in the thread people alluded to it being different. Different harder or different easier (accent jokes aside HARHAR)?

Im really hoping that it isnt a slower pace than the Canadian one.

The one you are using is "harder" as in has more runs per level. The CF express test only has 6 runs per level and doesn't add a run each level you go up.

Thanks a bunch. So the time between beeps is the same its just the numbering system? *edit* I apologize for how poorly I worded that- the Canadian Beeps and the Aussie Beeps have a similar time between each other progressively shortening?

That makes a lot of sense. I was hoping that it wasn't a case of me getting older- I didnt remember sucking wind like that when I was in the forces.

Thanks again.

fischer10 said:
The one you are using is "harder" as in has more runs per level. The CF express test only has 6 runs per level and doesn't add a run each level you go up.

The Canadian one is 8 runs per level. After stage 5 is completed, its 9 runs per level. Each level is a minute long so as the time between "beeps" gets shorter, there is more runs for a stage at some point.

Container said:
So the time between beeps is the same its just the numbering system?

No, the time between beeps is not the same. The test starts at 8.5km/h and increases by .5Km/h for each stage completed. Thus the time between "beeps" gets shorter at each stage, resulting in more runs per stage ( as each stage is always 1 minute long) at some point.

CDN Aviator said:
The Canadian one is 8 runs per level. After stage 5 is completed, its 9 runs per level. Each level is a minute long so as the time between "beeps" gets shorter, there is more runs for a stage at some point.

Sorry for the wrong information D:

I have attached a link to a chart that break downs the 20m Shuttle run test.  It show the time, distance, pace, and number of shuttles in each stage.  It also should the totals for time and distance.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/2011/01/20-meter-shuttle-run-20msr-breakdown.html

Nostix said:
An honest answer to this would be: "Someone might choose not to train for a higher level on the beep test if it would conflict with their other personal fitness goals."

I find that kind of funny.  No fitness goals come to my mind where they would cause difficulty reaching level 6 on the 20MSR. 

IME, the more honest answer is that most people care about little more than passing the EXPRES Test.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if I misread a post somewhere (coincidentally can't find it again) I understand the 'passing' grade for the Week 10 Expres, however week 0 you can get by with significantly less push-ups and crunches... What about the beep test? I thought I read that passing now is level 3.5 week 0, and level 6 in week 10.

I'm not shooting for the minimum if that's the impression anyone gets, this question is posed purely out of curiosity.

Mudshuvel said:
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if I misread a post somewhere (coincidentally can't find it again) I understand the 'passing' grade for the Week 10 Expres, however week 0 you can get by with significantly less push-ups and crunches... What about the beep test? I thought I read that passing now is level 3.5 week 0, and level 6 in week 10.

I'm not shooting for the minimum if that's the impression anyone gets, this question is posed purely out of curiosity.

For more information regarding the CF Express Test, check out: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/ec-pf/index-eng.asp

You can use the Search function on the forum for future reference.

Tollis said:
It would sound stupid if they were actually administering the Express test at week 0.  However they are only doing an entrance test of sorts.  For males under 35 the minimum requirements to continue training are 4 push ups (sit ups im not certain but likely around 4 as well) 3.5 on the shuttle run and something ridiculously low on the grip test.  Its almost embarrassing in my opinion  I don't think to many people are failing that and being sent home however im sure some still do.

However you must still pass the full CF EXpress test requirements to graduate.  I believe its near week 7 or 8 and you will be sent to warrior platoon for a maximum for 90 days if you fail to meet those requirements.  If you still can't meet requirements then you go home.

Is this the post you were thinking of?  I don't know if the above info is correct- I'm just sharing the quote.  Maybe someone else can confirm it/ provide more info.

The recruits are tested in Week 0 and then again in Week 8.

There are answers to some of Mudshuvel's questions in the link provided.

Is it necessary to pass this test to be accepted into the cf.  I am very physically fit strength wise, but I just recently began running again. I can do 2.4 km in 13:20 and i'm 24 years old.  Will this affect my chances of being acepted into the army?

Back