• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 meter Beep Test -Merged

BLUEFISH said:
Thank you ....this means a lote as i came super close to hitting my target but died....i really want to practice and didnt want to practice the wrong thing.....so you're absolutely sure that it's 20 metres acroos all three military components no matter what?

I dont mean to be petulant....just percise  ;)

Thank you again!

i did the test in the army...i did the test last week in the air force...its the same test...20 meters....on the beeps...back and forth.

BLUEFISH said:
.....so you're absolutely sure that it's 20 metres acroos all three military components no matter what?

I dont mean to be petulant....just percise  ;)

That is precisely the reason they call it the "20 meter Beep test".

The Librarian said:
EX-RCAC,
Whoah there yourself.
I can assure you that Binrat55 is well aware of what a BFT is. I can also assure you that BFT standards (heck we've got army folks who don't know about the trench dig for crying out loud!!) are not common knowledge amongst the Air Force or the Navy. The only place I ever did them was in the Army (and in Cornwallis) and I've served with all 3 enviornments. I'll also take this time to assure you 'fitness' is not a sore spot nor a neglected spot with Binrat. You'll have to take my word for it. I know him and have been on those marchs and in the gym beside him.

Yep
I know him personally myself,we didn't know it till yesterday. ;) (Darn internet reading....never could detect sarcasm/joking)
Is the BFT really not common knowledge across the CF?Maybe I'm missing something here(I've been known to) but isn't basic training a common denominator across the board as per always?Do they not do a BFT during basic training anymore?

I can see them not knowing about the trench dig,however that's one of those things units either do or don't.Depends on the base.As with the ammo can loading (which I think got scrapped as well).Honestly this year was the first time I ever done a trench dig myself during a BFT.And the past few courses we put through DP1 did not do the trench dig.And that was implemented in 2003 IIRC?

EX_RCAC_011 said:
I can see them not knowing about the trench dig,however that's one of those things units either do or don't.Depends on the base.As with the ammo can loading (which I think got scrapped as well).Honestly this year was the first time I ever done a trench dig myself during a BFT.And the past few courses we put through DP1 did not do the trench dig.And that was implemented in 2003 IIRC?
Yes it was. So when you yourself didn't see the Trench Dig ( a mandatory part of the annual fitness test BTW - it's not up to the Units) until this year, why do you have such a hard time believing that there are Navy and Ar pers who have never seen, done, or heard of it?

Basic trg yes. Do you forget that really long spell though where there was no such thing as a Recruit School running basic courses? Each enviornment was running their own...remember that? It went on for years. Guess what the CF standard was (actually still is) that those recruits doing basic courses within their own enviornments had to meet? The CF Express test. And that was Jim's point.

IAW CANLANDGEN 011/06 221200 Z Dec 06, para 3, the Trench Dig is done only where facilities exist.

The other day the Ops O and I were talking and he asked what if they're (the facilities) frozen solid? IMHO then the facilities don't exist.
I imagine the military would not agree so there goes doing any BFTs in the dead of winter!!

Guess what the CF standard was (actually still is) that those recruits doing basic courses within their own enviornments had to meet? The CF Express test. And that was Jim's point.

Thank you Vern, that was put much better than I did!!  But you always had a way with words, didn't you? 

It's funny, 'cause even though the CF Express Test is the standard across the board, Reg AND Reserve, if Gander had the kit, my guys and myself would be doing the BFT instead.  The lop-sidedness is that on most air bases PT is not a priority.  I just came from spending a week in Shearwater and they are almost begging to get time off to do PT.  As soon as the Express test is over, bang back to work for another year.  I like the concept of Fit To Fight.  We always used to bitch on the 2 X 10's that we were supply, why would we need to do this - we should have our trucks, that's where are stores are anyways.  Well, i'm here to tell you that of all the different duties I have performed in Theatre, I've ALWAYS needed my feet and my back, never my truck. 

PMedMoe said:
IAW CANLANDGEN 011/06 221200 Z Dec 06, para 3, the Trench Dig is done only where facilities exist.

The other day the Ops O and I were talking and he asked what if they're (the facilities) frozen solid? IMHO then the facilities don't exist.
I imagine the military would not agree so there goes doing any BFTs in the dead of winter!!

We did ours in the dead of winter. You are not digging a trench into the ground after all, but are rather using "trench boxes" and moving the pea gravel from one into another. Ours were forklift transportable, thus stored inside, didn't fill up with snow, ice etc because they had covers on them. Moved them outside, popped the covers, got the shovels and voila...the season had zero bearing. They could have been stored outside as well, the covers were wooden.

I'm also talking about the trench dig for RegF Land Units here, as I was below as well.

BinRat55 said:
Well, i'm here to tell you that of all the different duties I have performed in Theatre, I've ALWAYS needed my feet and my back, never my truck. 

I hope you're not trying to tell me that??  ;)

The Librarian said:
We did ours in the dead of winter. You are not digging a trench into the ground after all, but are rather using "trench boxes" and moving the pea gravel from one into another. Ours were forklift transportable, thus stored inside, didn't fill up with snow, ice etc because they had covers on them. Moved them outside, popped the covers, got the shovels and voila...the season had zero bearing. They could have been stored outside as well, the covers were wooden.

I'm also talking about the trench dig for RegF Land Units here, as I was below as well.

Yes, Vern, I know what you're talking about but apparently if they don't have the facilities, they don't have to do it.  Here in Kingston, the trench boxes are not stored inside and subsequently are frozen at present.  They do have wooden covers to keep the snow out but not so effective for the wet and cold.  ;)  We do expect warmer weather this week so maybe they'll thaw.  Possibly in time for our folks preparing to do the BFT March 21 or 22.

Betcha that "storage" situation is corrected by next year!!  ;)

The Librarian said:
Basic trg yes. Do you forget that really long spell though where there was no such thing as a Recruit School running basic courses? Each enviornment was running their own...remember that? It went on for years.

Nope.That's why I asked,knew there was proably sometime around RV 82 or something.What year was this?I was proably riding my banana seat paddle bike with blue and white streamers.

The Librarian said:
Betcha that "storage" situation is corrected by next year!!  ;)

3 years in Gagetown and although I ran past the trench dig every morning I never had to do it until this year.It seems if it's frozen no one goes out of their way to do it.Or if we choose a differnt route,that doesnt end at the boxes.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
Nope.That's why I asked,knew there was proably sometime around RV 82 or something.What year was this?I was proably riding my banana seat paddle bike with blue and white streamers.
90s. Cornwallis closed...each enviornment began running their own "basic courses."
EX_RCAC_011 said:
3 years in Gagetown and although I ran past the trench dig every morning I never had to do it until this year.It seems if it's frozen no one goes out of their way to do it.Or if we choose a differnt route,that doesnt end at the boxes.
Each Unit has their own. Tech Svcs keeps theirs up by Maint Coy L33. I think it's CFSME that drags theirs out down by Lindsay Valley, etc etc. Don't know which ones you guys march by, but I would too if they weren't my Units.

The Librarian said:
90s. Cornwallis closed...each enviornment began running their own "basic courses." .

I was 8.Heavily into ninja turtles/Ghost busters and MC Hammer.

The Librarian said:
Each Unit has their own. Tech Svcs keeps theirs up by Maint Coy L33. I think it's CFSME that drags theirs out down by Lindsay Valley, etc etc. Don't know which ones you guys march by, but I would too if they weren't my Units.

Yep it was the CFSME boxes we used this year.I really don't think our "unit" has the boxes.Look into that tomorrow.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
Yep it was the CFSME boxes we used this year.I really don't think our "unit" has the boxes.Look into that tomorrow.
So they begged and borrowed...that's normal in this outfit!!

No our unit doesnt have any of the boxes.Infact I was told they may be cancelling the trench dig anyway,and to not worry about it.

Hey,

Just trying to learn more...When you guys say the beep test  are you  referring to the  shuttle test/express test where you have a distance of 20 metres to run and  they make a beep and you have to start your way back?

Is it every 5 seconds it beeps?And over how long ?What if your not at the line when it beeps? Do you  start back anyway?
Also I am assuming the goal s to get to the 20 m mark before it beeps  or  within  the 20 m  are there different sections you go to and when it  beeps you move on to the next?

How do  they rate your speed or whatever?

Is it timed or do they take your pulse and etc before and after??

Thanks,

Melanie

The beeps increase in intervals and you are required to get to the 20m line before the beep.  Intervals increase with the level -- at level 0, you'll be doing a brisk walk/light shuffle to get to the line. 

Just before the 20m line is a warning line.  If you're between this line and the 20m line after the beep, you're issued a warning.  If you're issued a warning during two successive passes, you're eliminated.  If you make it to the 20m line on the next pass, your warning is cleared. Warnings are otherwise not cumulative. Should you not make the wng line before the beep, you're eliminated.

so how long at  a time do you do this for... 5 mins  or etc??

Thanks,

Melanie

You go up a stage roughly every30 seconds, so for example stage 7 is at about 3.5 min, stage 10 at about 5 min. give or take a bit. 

oh ok cool.  so when  people say that  females need to make a 6  .. they mean to that 6th stage?  i get ya

Back