• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2016 Oregon Standoff/Occupation & related (split fm US Election: 2016)

muskrat89 said:
So as someone who is decidedly right of center, and living in the "wild west" - I can tell you that in my circles, this is getting mixed reactions. The most common reaction (for the most part in the hunting community" is typified by a friend's Facebook post:

On the other hand, here is a real interesting (opposing) take - see point "L"

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/03/full-story-on-whats-going-on-in-oregon-militia-take-over-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge-in-protest-to-hammond-family-persecution/
Thanks very much for sharing some of the shades of grey on this issue - they sometimes get lost in the black vs. white.
Kat Stevens said:
I dunno, hopefully the same amount if these guys  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_Warrior_Society  did it?  (Sorry, I don't know how to do sexylinks)
Interesting - at least one other online outlet highlights this one, too. 

Big difference, though, was that one side wasn't carrying arms legally.  It appears, so far anyway, that in  this situation in Texas and this one in Oregon, no firearms laws have been broken - just members of the public weilding arms legally in publicly-owned spaces.

Not really where I was going, but interesting how time can skew a story and turn those guys into heroes.  I was sort of thinking about how if the MW were doing this, we'd just stand around and watch with our hands in our pockets and let them do whatever they want for fear of being labelled as some kind if "...ist".  I must say though, "Canadian tyranny" got my day started with a chuckle.

I've read BLM is already giving the ranchers a 93% discount on the grazing fees.

Kat Stevens said:
Not really where I was going, but interesting how time can skew a story and turn those guys into heroes.  I was sort of thinking about how if the MW were doing this, we'd just stand around and watch with our hands in our pockets and let them do whatever they want for fear of being labelled as some kind if "...ist". 
Ah, seen.

Kat Stevens said:
I must say though, "Canadian tyranny" got my day started with a chuckle.
Thought that would make you & some others giggle - sometimes hard to remember that in spite of how much we whinge about government, we could do a WHOLE lot worse than Canada.

It looks like at least one element of the public wants the occupiers out - this via the Associated Press ...
Cheers erupted at a packed community meeting in rural Oregon when a sheriff said it was time for a small, armed group occupying a national wildlife refuge to “pick up and go home.”

The group objecting to federal land policy seized buildings at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday. Authorities have not yet moved to remove the group of roughly two dozen people, some from as far away as Arizona and Michigan. The group also objects to a lengthy prison sentence for two local ranchers convicted of arson.

“I’m here today to ask those folks to go home and let us get back to our lives,” Harney County Sheriff David Ward said Wednesday evening.

Schools were closed following the seizure of the refuge because of safety concerns in this small town in eastern Oregon’s high desert country and tensions have risen. Ward told the hundreds gathered at the meeting he hoped the community would put up a “united front” to peacefully resolve the conflict.

Group leader Ammon Bundy has told reporters they will leave when there’s a plan in place to turn over federal lands to locals.

Several people spoke in support of Bundy and his followers at Wednesday’s meeting.

“They are waking people up,” said 80-year-old Merlin Rupp, a long-time local resident. “They are just making a statement for us, to wake us up.” ...
A bit more nuance from the same meeting, via the Huffington Post:
... Ward asked people at Wednesday night's meeting to raise their hands if they wanted the occupiers to peacefully leave. The vast majority did, with a rogue shout of "Let them stay!" Some attendees asked the sheriff to personally pass the message to the occupiers.

"I heard a rancher come in today and say, 'We'll send a hundred guys on horseback,'" said one man.

But the community seemed to have a complicated relationship with the Bundy brothers. Some shared the protesters' concerns about federal land access, and the imprisonment of two local ranchers. And ranchers seeking federal grazing permits and leases see the government as blocking their efforts to make a living.

"I don't agree with the way that this has all turned out," said Bill Winn, who said his family had lived in the area since the 1800s. "I do appreciate this being put before America. ... I'm glad those guys did it," he added.

The protesters have claimed the community is behind them.

"We haven't had anyone come out here and tell us that they want us to go home," said a man at the wildlife refuge on Tuesday, who declined to give his name. He said the protesters were getting food from locals, including hamburgers and jerky.

On Tuesday evening, Michael Stettler, from Christmas Valley, Oregon, said occupiers received six pizzas from an address in town.

The sheriff said he was unimpressed by the claims. "If one person gives them a Snickers bar, they’re going on national media and claiming that the community supports them,” Ward told Oregon Public Broadcasting ...

Who do you consider the occupier here, Milnews? The Bundy bunch ... or the Federal government  [:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Who do you consider the occupier here, Mildews? The Bundy bunch ... or the Federal government  [:D
Discuss  ;D

I'm just leaning away from the "militia" narrative for the moment.

I'm noticing the TERROR word being tossed around a lot in regard to these chuckleheads.  Who exactly have they terrorized?  So far it looks like Burning Man for rednecks to me.

I wonder if the media and public approach would be different if the occupiers were indigenous?

I think that a lot of the Limousine Liberals are pissed that the government hasn't yet gone in guns ablazing to wipe out the white guys. Because you know for certain that if some brown, black or native people did that they would be all dead by now. At least that is the narrative from the left.

There are some legitimate issues between ranchers and BLM but the Bundy crowd are not the route to be used to solve it.

Ridicule is already working and Bundy is looking for a fig leaf to wrap it up. Odd that the people that are against police brutality are suggesting that there should be brutality to level the playing field.

Colin P said:
Ridicule is already working and Bundy is looking for a fig leaf to wrap it up. Odd that the people that are against police brutality are suggesting that there should be brutality to level the playing field.

Agreed. I was guilty of that when this situation first unfolded, as it IS very frustrating to see what appears to be a double standard. However, the answer is not more State violence.

Kilo_302 said:
African-Americans are killed by police at higher rate than any other ethnic group in the US.

That statistic is a red herring to try and persuade people who know nothing about the demographics for crime in the US to there side.

Yes the rate is higher by percentage of population, however less black people are shot by police than white people in total. And when you consider that black people in the states making up roughly 13% of the population commit roughly 50% of the violent crime, you are actually safer being arrested as a black person than a white person.

Eaglelord17 said:
That statistic is a red herring to try and persuade people who know nothing about the demographics for crime in the US to there side.

Yes the rate is higher by percentage of population, however less black people are shot by police than white people in total. And when you consider that black people in the states making up roughly 13% of the population commit roughly 50% of the violent crime, you are actually safer being arrested as a black person than a white person.

Nope.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/10/the-counted-500-people-killed-by-police-2015

While the number of African Americans killed by police so far in 2015 has been disproportionately high, both white and Hispanic/Latino Americans now make up proportions of those killed that are smaller than their shares of the general US public.

Among the first 500 deaths, 49.6% of people were white, 28.2% were black and 14.8% were Hispanic/Latino. According to the 2013 census, the US population is 62.6% white, 13.2% black and 17.1% Hispanic/Latino.

Nope?  ???

You seem to be providing information to agree with Eaglelord17.  ???

George Wallace said:
Nope?  ???

The CIA hasn't called him on the tooth filling radio yet to get a rebuttal.

George Wallace said:
Nope?  ???

You're right, I misread his post.

PuckChaser said:
The CIA hasn't called him on the tooth filling radio yet to get a rebuttal.

I was on the other line.

Arrests made, and one dead.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oregon-standoff-ammon-bundy-1.3421438

Back