• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2021 federal budget and the CAF

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Alright so the budget drops tomorrow and I think many if us are predicting cuts, I wonder what else will be there for the CAF.

If there's no cuts, there won't be a single mention. If they were smart, they could do make infrastructure improvements to CF Bases (and surrounding towns) as a big stimulus package, but unicorns could also fly around Parliament Hill for Canada Day.

What would happen if we got a rash of VRs the day after a budget dropped? Do you think it would make any difference?

Not in the slightest. It'd be a cheaper FRP for them.

Class B cuts coming, reduced hiring. More talk about being leaner and meaner but with no real details or plan other than reallocating defence money to to other programs. Have to pay for UBI somehow ;)

I wonder if the plans laid out in SSE will still be followed considering the circumstances.

I'm guessing Trudeau thinks there is more money to be squeezed from the CAF to pay for more politically popular programs.

From last November, but it could play out this way:

Former top soldier worries feds could slash military budget after coronavirus​

One of Canada’s former top soldiers says he worries a federal government looking to slash spending once the time comes to rein in the coronavirus deficit could look to the military as an “easy” target.

In an interview with The West Block‘s Mercedes Stephenson, retired Gen. Rick Hillier — who will be leading Ontario’s vaccine distribution effort — said even as the military ramps up to help roll out vaccines across the country, he is already hearing concerns they could see cuts in the years that follow.

“I’d be lying if I said I weren’t worried because, yeah, it’s crossed my mind numerous times,” said Hiller when asked whether he thinks the government could look to cut spending by slashing military budgets.

Class B cuts coming, reduced hiring. More talk about being leaner and meaner but with no real details or plan other than reallocating defence money to to other programs. Have to pay for UBI somehow ;)

How much leaner can we get?

Attachments

• https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_cdba5e365a4f98083533a361b66fc8b0.jpg
    https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_cdba5e365a4f98083533a361b66fc8b0.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
There is also the possibility that the budget is intentionally ridiculous to cause an election.
Imagine voting for the budget, but with stated verbal reservations by, perhaps, leader of the opposition, so that the poison pill is not swallowed, and Team Dauphin has to find another reason to try to cause an election to be called? 🤔

No word about DND but some new taxes coming according to leaks
Taxes that the government would be hard pressed to collect, if targeting online platforms and e-commerce. The folks behind the keyboards that advise their respective companies' management are WELL AWARE of how to 'manipulate' those platforms to avoid such taxes.

Guess we will have to wait & see...

Do we (CF/DND) still return $1B to $2B back to the treasury annually, btw??

Regardless of what businesses and such get taxed, that only gets passed down to y'all and me.
"More than $77 million in new money is being added to the battle against military sexual misconduct while the government says it will be redirecting another $158 million from other parts of the Armed Forces to address the issue in the ranks."

Oh-oh. I have seen re-direction before and it never bodes well.

There's additional money for Health Services to deliver care to CAF members as well.

Back