• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

That would all depend on their numbers, no? If they have a clear majority, they can pretty well do as they please. Confidence votes aren't as scary when you have the bums in seats to vote them down. Or am I missing something?
Probably need to have a 7-8% GST to un-phucque the financial devastation Trudeau is inflicting on the country. Of course, only do that AFTER the election…that method works for LPC, why not the CPC too. Heck, one could even pay some cross chamber homage to Le P’tit Gars by saying your establishing the GST at the same rate that Jean Chretien used to so successfully bring Canada’s economy under control. 👍🏼

Probably need to have a 7-8% GST to un-phucque the financial devastation Trudeau is inflicting on the country. Of course, only do that AFTER the election…that method works for LPC, why not the CPC too. Heck, one could even pay some cross chamber homage to Le P’tit Gars by saying your establishing the GST at the same rate that Jean Chretien used to so successfully bring Canada’s economy under control. 👍🏼
Just spitballing. One possibility he has to start recouping money would be to shut off all virtue signalling foreign aid. We shouldn't be bailing anyone out until we bail ourselves out. Another item he can use is to clear the path for big oil. Give them a year or two to get production and refining up. When we're self sufficient, stop buying foreign oil. Good for Canada, bad for Laurentien Elite shareholders in foreign petroleum.

Everyone is feeling the current economic conditions in this country, The blame for this necessity could easily be laid at Trudeau's feet. A GST hike, especially if it's temporary, would be more palatable than an income tax increase. Along with shunting virtue signal worthy foreign aid and opening the gates for big oil, as FJ states, could help pull the country out of this hole.

Would an increased consumption tax suitably offset the revenue lost from cancelling the climate/carbon tax? Don't know. But since it would be imposed for real reasons and not some fantasy, it would be more accepted.

Ultimately, once the economic conditions are under control the goal should be to eliminate or reduce all taxes only to the bare minimum required - and this must be stuck to like a damn religion unlike the "income tax promise".

Just spitballing. One possibility he has to start recouping money would be to shut off all virtue signalling foreign aid. We shouldn't be bailing anyone out until we bail ourselves out. Another item he can use is to clear the path for big oil. Give them a year or two to get production and refining up. When we're self sufficient, stop buying foreign oil. Good for Canada, bad for Laurentien Elite shareholders in foreign petroleum.

That would put 6 to 7 Billion back in our pockets. Its a start.

Then start slashing. Use a back to basics approach.

Lets see... Where to start in this list...

This is a tough one for the CPC. They (and the LPC and NDP) KNOW with 100% certainty that Canadians oppose, not just don't support, actively oppose funding the military to anything like a useful level.

Plus, there is a small but loud part of the conservative base that says that DND and the CF, as currently structured, cannot make any good use of increased funding. One smallish segment of that opposes all defence spending, on principle, as a waste, while there other, larger group says the CF must be nearly dismantled and repurposed, with almost totally new, maybe even foreign senior leadership before it gets another red cent.

A serious government could achieve a lot by switching the budget from salaries to hardware.

That would put 6 to 7 Billion back in our pockets. Its a start.

Then start slashing. Use a back to basics approach.

Lets see... Where to start in this list...

The OAS/CCB tightening thread from a few months back comes to mind

Everyone is feeling the current economic conditions in this country, The blame for this necessity could easily be laid at Trudeau's feet. A GST hike, especially if it's temporary, would be more palatable than an income tax increase.
Agree, and also why the idea of acknowledging the success Chrétien had, using 7% GST to balance the services continuation with the reduce debt and deficits.

... A GST hike, especially if it's temporary, would be more palatable than an income tax increase ...
Like income tax was temporary? That would be a fine line to navigate, and blaming past management may not be enough to get people to swallow it.

Like income tax was temporary? That would be a fine line to navigate, and blaming past management may not be enough to get people to swallow it.
As per the last line in my post you quoted. The difference this time is the government must make a commitment and stick to it.

As per the last line in my post you quoted. The difference this time is the government must make a commitment and stick to it.
Still opens up a decent counter-battery narrative "so much for the party of tax cuts," though. It would be a daring go for Team Blue, for sure.

Agreed... hopefully not necessary, however in this fiscal environment especially if pharma goes through... the CPC has no room for maneuver. And there needs to be a sharp correction with an end in site.

Progressives inevitably complain that conservatives are trying to starve government by cutting spending, while conservatives complain that progressives do the opposite (increase spending in order to push for more taxation, usually related to some target percentage of GDP). Raising the GST would basically be saying "OK, you guys win." It would have about the same effect as conceding to all the demands of hostage takers. Why wouldn't progressives just double down on the "strategy" if it gets what they want?

Canada's fiscal problem is pretty much the same as the one in the US: spending is the problem.

The OAS/CCB tightening thread from a few months back comes to mind

When not enough is coming in, and too much is going out, hard choices should be made.

Still opens up a decent counter-battery narrative "so much for the party of tax cuts," though. It would be a daring go for Team Blue, for sure.

Agreed. New taxes isn't the answer. Get spending under control and trim the fat.

Agree, and also why the idea of acknowledging the success Chrétien had, using 7% GST to balance the services continuation with the reduce debt and deficits.
I think most Canadians are smart enough to accept a small jump in the GST. As long as they can physically see a real improvement in their lives. If they can't see what's happening in their pocketbook or economy, it's a non starter. Legislation will have to have a locked in end date that is adhered to. If people see that it's working and they like what they see, they'll let the government know.

I don’t think Canadians would accept an increase in GST. They would grumble about a 30% income tax hike, but if Pollievre passed a 1% increase in GST, the Liberals would win a majority by promising to “axe the tax”. (Then keep it after they win the election)

The GST is much more “in your face” than income tax so people will light their hair on fire over that more than an increase in income tax.

Not saying it’s right, just how I think it is, based on observing GST/HST politics since 1991.

I don’t think Canadians would accept an increase in GST. They would grumble about a 30% income tax hike, but if Pollievre passed a 1% increase in GST, the Liberals would win a majority by promising to “axe the tax”. (Then keep it after they win the election)

The GST is much more “in your face” than income tax so people will light their hair on fire over that more than an increase in income tax.

Not saying it’s right, just how I think it is, based on observing GST/HST politics since 1991.
Disagree.

Why do you think they will only be in power a short time?
I've said it here before, and the opinion is shared by some well regarded political analysts. Trudeau and the LPC are very good at campaigning (they suck at governing, but that's another topic.). Trudeau thinks he can spank PP back to the irrelevance. The campaign has already started. (e.g. $28 M for CBSA to solve a Toronto/Montréal centric problem of car theft, even through the stolen cars don't become CBSA's problem until they are about to be exported.)

I will concede that the CPC have been more disciplined than in the past and their messaging is becoming more coherent and synchronized, but will it last through the stress of an election campaign? Once the writ drops, the super scare tactics will quickly eat away at any substantial leads the CPC currently enjoy. This will be exacerbated if Trump wins down south. Trudeau will have his right-wing boogeyman. Yes, the CPC will probably still get a win, but it will be a slim one, which will not survive the LPC/NDP/BQ alliance.

That's my belief. I hope I'm wrong.

Back