• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

if he gets to become Prime Minister expect a raucous time in the HoC and A LOT of fights with the Public Service.
I can't wait for the general election debates. If Trudeau is still in running it's going to be a massacre.

Reactions: QV
I am still not convinced that gaining the PPC votes will help the Tories. Every Dipper in the country will freak out and abandon the NDP for the Liberals; Red Tories, swing voters and Blue Liberals will either stay home or vote Liberal; and Tru-Anon will crawl over broken glass to vote for their cult leader.

But I also thought Harper and Mulcair would wipe the floor with Trudeau, so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

I am still not convinced that gaining the PPC votes will help the Tories. Every Dipper in the country will freak out and abandon the NDP for the Liberals; Red Tories, swing voters and Blue Liberals will either stay home or vote Liberal; and Tru-Anon will crawl over broken glass to vote for their cult leader.

But I also thought Harper and Mulcair would wipe the floor with Trudeau, so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
People who follow politics are well versed in the draws and flaws of each leader, party, and candidate because they have an interest in it.

The majority of Canadians do not follow politics, however, are entitled to cast their vote regardless.

My wife worked as a Poll Site Supervisor in both Federal elections and recently in the Ontario Provincial one. She said it was "interesting" how many voters she had ask for assistance because they didn't have a colour marker on the ballot, and that they "wanted to vote for the Republican candidate." There were also numerous people that had no idea that they were only selecting the MP/MPP for their riding and not the Premier or Prime Minister.

It was a baffling ordeal and exposed a lot of the ignorance parties play on now during the election cycle.

Well the good news is you need not worry about that. The biggest gain seems to be from bleeding NDP supporters. The PPC bleed is relatively small comparatively. It is also important to note that a large number of past PPC supporters had come from the left.

Trudeau's first campaign was masterful if two ways:
1. He promised to restore/increase media funding by a lot, which bought him very good press and Harper very bad press; and
2. Legalizing weed, which brought out swathes of new single issue voters.

The world was a different place in 2015, many people didn't have much to worry about (in many ways thanks to Harper). Things are now much different.

I can't wait for the general election debates. If Trudeau is still in running it's going to be a massacre.
Agree. It will be quite the show. Safe to say Freeland would get massacred too...

The third debate...

Jean Charest, Roman Baber and Scott Aitchison made their final pleas to the few dozen members who were watching the live feed online on Facebook. At its peak, approximately 300 people tuned in to watch it but near the end of the debate, less than 100 people were still listening.

The party’s feed on YouTube indicated more than 18,000 views on Thursday morning, but it is unclear who tuned in to listen during the debate as it was happening.

Most of the FB viewers were probably staff and the 18k YT views is somewhat less than the average funny cat video so...

The third debate...

Jean Charest, Roman Baber and Scott Aitchison made their final pleas to the few dozen members who were watching the live feed online on Facebook. At its peak, approximately 300 people tuned in to watch it but near the end of the debate, less than 100 people were still listening.

The party’s feed on YouTube indicated more than 18,000 views on Thursday morning, but it is unclear who tuned in to listen during the debate as it was happening.

Most of the FB viewers were probably staff and the 18k YT views is somewhat less than the average funny cat video so...
You’re right, QV, PP’s got it in the bag. He should break out the champagne now! 🍾

And might as well open a second bottle since he’d wipe the floor with either Trudeau or Freeland, because whether breathy/moist or screeching, Canadians are well-known for voting by the sound of the candidates’ voices…they don’t have a hope against Poilièvre.

Shouldn't folks in the political centre be happy there is a viable CPC candidate gaining significant momentum to defeat the Trudeau/Singh alliance?

This is a much better situation than the Scheer or O'Toole attempts.

Shouldn't folks in the political centre be happy there is a viable CPC candidate gaining significant momentum to defeat the Trudeau/Singh alliance?

This is a much better situation than the Scheer or O'Toole attempts.
Maybe some old-PC are still feeling the Alliance/Reform burn and can’t help but feel that Alliance/Reform 2.0 isn’t going to be as successful as 1.0 was with the PC’s (unrewarded) help back in the day.

QV, we get it…you think Poilièvre is the best thing since sliced bread. Are you seriously looking for the ‘less socially-conservative’ (aka progressive conservatives) to suddenly agree with you that PP’s a slam dunk? And you seem to berate with ease, many of the moderately conservative for their views. Again, we get that you’re bedazzled by PP. I’m glad you find someone apparently aligned with your core values. That doesn’t mean it’s an anointment and guaranteed win by PP against the Grits in 24/25.

Maybe some old-PC are still feeling the Alliance/Reform burn and can’t help but feel that Alliance/Reform 2.0 isn’t going to be as successful as 1.0 was with the PC’s (unrewarded) help back in the day.

QV, we get it…you think Poilièvre is the best thing since sliced bread. Are you seriously looking for the ‘less socially-conservative’ (aka progressive conservatives) to suddenly agree with you that PP’s a slam dunk? And you seem to berate with ease, many of the moderately conservative for their views. Again, we get that you’re bedazzled by PP. I’m glad you find someone apparently aligned with your core values. That doesn’t mean it’s an anointment and guaranteed win by PP against the Grits in 24/25.
To be fair, he's in a better situation than O'Toole. Not because he's a better leader or PM candidate, but because he has the freedom (heh) to fuel/ride the "Freedom"/anti-mandate movement without the burden/cost of acting irresponsibly during an active pandemic and contributing to the death toll and over taxing of the healthcare system. If O'Toole didn't have that pesky ethical reality to contend with he likely wouldn't have lost a half million odd votes to Purple. He (PP) chose his time to jump on that wagon very well.

I watched PP at the CPC debate. He wasn’t all that and a slice of bread. And if history repeats itself maybe he won’t even show up….

People thought Harper was going to wipe the floor with Trudeau at the debate as well. That didn’t end well. I don’t underestimate PP but I also don’t underestimate Trudeau.

Both were successful leaders in their own way, with more depth than any of the current candidates.

Mind reading I see.

I'm at the point of anyone but JT/JS. If Charest was generating PP level interest and followers I'd be behind him too right now, but he's not and he's got no momentum.

Don't worry, there is plenty of time for the LPC/media war machine to do plenty of damage to PP.

Mind reading I see.
Actually I think of it more as “paying attention to everything you’ve messaged in this thread…”

Maybe I got it wrong. Maybe you’re a MacKay-style guy, moderate/progressive like me, and I totally misread you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

To be fair, he's in a better situation than O'Toole. Not because he's a better leader or PM candidate, but because he has the freedom (heh) to fuel/ride the "Freedom"/anti-mandate movement without the burden/cost of acting irresponsibly during an active pandemic and contributing to the death toll and over taxing of the healthcare system. If O'Toole didn't have that pesky ethical reality to contend with he likely wouldn't have lost a half million odd votes to Purple. He (PP) chose his time to jump on that wagon very well.
Will be interesting to actually see how jumping on the Convoy bandwagon impacts him in his actual riding; it was pretty polarizing in the NCR and immediate communities who were impacted by it. The local MPP is a complete lunatic who also attached himself strongly to the convoy/anti-mandate side and pissed a lot of people off, so might rub off on PP. The balcony guy was pretty representative of a lot of people.

Would be pretty funny if he got all this momentum going within the part and lost his seat. For me he's a lot of hot air and his original ideas like jumping on the cryptobro bandwagon and politically interfering with the BoC are both good reasons to vote against him and reject the style of US populism that he's trying to harness.

The amount of general ignorance of Canadian civics on all sides of the political spectrum is pretty sad though, but when one of the Convoy leaders tried to assert their first Amendment rights during a bail hearing, had to laugh when the judge agreed that Manitoba was in fact part of Canada.

Will be interesting to actually see how jumping on the Convoy bandwagon impacts him in his actual riding; it was pretty polarizing in the NCR and immediate communities who were impacted by it. The local MPP is a complete lunatic who also attached himself strongly to the convoy/anti-mandate side and pissed a lot of people off, so might rub off on PP. The balcony guy was pretty representative of a lot of people.

Would be pretty funny if he got all this momentum going within the part and lost his seat. For me he's a lot of hot air and his original ideas like jumping on the cryptobro bandwagon and politically interfering with the BoC are both good reasons to vote against him and reject the style of US populism that he's trying to harness.

The amount of general ignorance of Canadian civics on all sides of the political spectrum is pretty sad though, but when one of the Convoy leaders tried to assert their first Amendment rights during a bail hearing, had to laugh when the judge agreed that Manitoba was in fact part of Canada.
The last mainstreet poll had him lowered to the margin of error and it was a direct result of his support for the convoy. I’m in the riding. Most of my stuff is anecdotal ie my neighbours and friends in the riding but actually supported by that poll.

I voted for him last election. Probably won’t in the next if he’s leader. Things can change but I doubt he will broaden his appeal.

Funny under reported is that there is a NDP bleed to PPC and/or CPC. Many union members do not see themselves in the NDP. With the NDP move to urban/young/progressive base. Many have been switching. You see some of it in places like Windsor. The average Unifor worker does not relate to the NDP anymore. Even if they still do the tension on the relationship is greater.

The balcony guy was pretty representative of a lot of people.
I think a lot of people identified with ‘Balcony Ricky’ even if they weren’t* right downtown. Gotta admit, I was cheering for him, even though I was dead set against the craptacular shit show that was political ‘leadership’ that was a healthy contributing factor to how things were let loose to run pretty much amok.

Last edited:
Back