• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 BC Election

Private companies only want the money generating opportunities, never the ones that do not generate money or have to operate at a loss to provide a service to the people.
By definition, a private company can't operate indefinitely at a loss. When it can't meet its debts, it folds. That's why we don't see private companies operating at a loss to provide a service to the people. What they "want" has nothing to do with it.

By definition, a private company can't operate indefinitely at a loss. When it can't meet its debts, it folds. That's why we don't see private companies operating at a loss to provide a service to the people. What they "want" has nothing to do with it.
I would have had more sympathy about "their efficiency" if they were not so selective in their targeting of government run operations. I had to chuckle when some marine companies went to the Class Societies arguing that they would be more economical and faster than the government inspectors. Turns out they were slower and more expensive.
Working closely with a lot of private industry has jaded me on their claims of efficiency. Many large companies survive as they have crushed any competition and use their influence to get the government to keep others away, so the customers have no choice as to whom to deal with.

I would have had more sympathy about "their efficiency" if they were not so selective in their targeting of government run operations. I had to chuckle when some marine companies went to the Class Societies arguing that they would be more economical and faster than the government inspectors. Turns out they were slower and more expensive.
Working closely with a lot of private industry has jaded me on their claims of efficiency. Many large companies survive as they have crushed any competition and use their influence to get the government to keep others away, so the customers have no choice as to whom to deal with.
I am unsurprised that there are some things government agencies can do more efficiently than wholly private enterprises. The main reason is that there are some things for which people are unwilling to pay a market price.

Use of influence is a flaw in government, not private companies. If lobbying didn't pay, there would be pretty much none of it. If there were no compliance cost advantages for larger companies over smaller ones, we might have more companies - that's another factor wholly in the hands of government.

Any situation in which goods/services are over-priced is an opportunity signal to entrepreneurs, provided the cost of entry is bearable. Monopolies and near-monopolies are not inherently bad.

Small communications companies lobby governments - successfully - to gain access to infrastructure they have no intention (and probably no capability) of building themselves, at favourable rates. These matters aren't unidirectional.

In terms of popular vote, it’s close. Projected seat count is looking less close.

338 is showing the NDP at 45% and BCCP at 44%, well within the margin of error. On the other hand, the projected seat count is at NDP 49 and BC Conservatives at 42. This is consistent with the NDP’s efficient vote distribution.

It’s seems to me that Rustad’s Conservatives is not the united free-enterprise coalition. If it was, they would be leading by 5 points or so. There are enough people from the previous coalition who are staying home because the BC Conservatives are viewed by them to be too kooky. Rustad’s shaky performance in the debate didn’t help either.

As well, I have heard that the BCCP has no ground game. Apparently their GOTV operation is non-existent. They’re running a mainstream campaign on a fringe party budget.

Many people are holding their noses and voting BC Conservative, but not enough. Question is, will BC United reassert their dominance after this election, or will the BCCP take the loss, professionalize the party and try to appeal to more mainstream free-enterprises? Or will the BCCP pull a rabbit out of their hat and pull an upset in a few days?

In terms of popular vote, it’s close. Projected seat count is looking less close.

338 is showing the NDP at 45% and BCCP at 44%, well within the margin of error. On the other hand, the projected seat count is at NDP 49 and BC Conservatives at 42. This is consistent with the NDP’s efficient vote distribution.

It’s seems to me that Rustad’s Conservatives is not the united free-enterprise coalition. If it was, they would be leading by 5 points or so. There are enough people from the previous coalition who are staying home because the BC Conservatives are viewed by them to be too kooky. Rustad’s shaky performance in the debate didn’t help either.

As well, I have heard that the BCCP has no ground game. Apparently their GOTV operation is non-existent. They’re running a mainstream campaign on a fringe party budget.

Many people are holding their noses and voting BC Conservative, but not enough. Question is, will BC United reassert their dominance after this election, or will the BCCP take the loss, professionalize the party and try to appeal to more mainstream free-enterprises? Or will the BCCP pull a rabbit out of their hat and pull an upset in a few days?
NDP knew they were coming into this election as contenders and had to play it as such. BCCP were, I think, not expecting anything beyond their usual status as ‘also-rans’ with a token handful of seats. BCCP need to do a ton of housecleaning if they’re suddenly going to be at the grown-ups’ table going forward.

Back