• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Armed Forces Day

Craig M

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of any special events happening in London to Hamilton region on Sunday.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
CM :cdn:

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the occasion of Canadian Forces Day â “ June 6, 2004
May 31, 2004

Canadians have always answered the call when asked to defend freedom and democracy around the world. Whether in battle, on peacekeeping missions or delivering humanitarian aid, the brave Canadians who serve in our military are willing to give their own lives if necessary to defend the values we cherish most.

This third annual Canadian Forces Day finds our troops deployed around the world on a variety of missions related to international peace and security. Many more remain on duty here in Canada preparing to answer the next call for help, whether it comes from across the country or an ocean away. They carry out their dangerous work with the support of family and friends who have also sacrificed much for our collective interests.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces I am privileged to have met with so many of our fine military women and men and to have seen them in action. They do an outstanding job, and I thank them on behalf of all Canadians for their dedication to duty and their selfless contribution to their country.

Adrienne Clarkson
http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4201

Canadian Forces Day is celebrated the first Sunday of June and this year it happens to be the same day as D-Day. While we remember those who fought 60 years ago lets now forget currently serving members in Canada and all over the world

"While we remember those who fought 60 years ago lets now forget currently serving members in Canada and all over the world"

A slip of the keys there Ark,we get what you mean. ;)

It should be a public holiday. Not so people get a day off work/school whatever, but because otherwise it's just a meaningless title to stick to a day or have mall sales on. Anyone remember earth day? I bet you would if it were a public holiday.

The celebrations were great and the concert rocked in Kingston this year!

nULL said:
It should be a public holiday. Not so people get a day off work/school whatever, but because otherwise it's just a meaningless title to stick to a day or have mall sales on. Anyone remember earth day? I bet you would if it were a public holiday.

It IS a public holiday - we observe it on November 11th. ;)

Kings Town Jimmy said:
Aren't you confusing Remembrance Day with CF Day?

I'm saying what is the difference?  Why would we need two national holidays to do the same thing?

I look at CF Day (regardless of what the GG says) as a day to appreciate our military and what we are willing to sacrafice for our country. It's a great tool for public awareness and to raise education that we are here and we are here for you (the citizens of Canada).

Remembrance Day (for me) is to recgonize those before us.

I thank all nationalities who fought and served,who provided me with my tommorrow.As a true patriotic Brit who served for my country,I will never know or understand the sacrifice those men fighting for the freedom of europe made on the beaches of France.
I salute Canada who also made terrible sacrifices on those beaches and support your views.for Canadian Forces Day.

Respect.

Marine837M

As both the CF day and remembrance day are related as they both serve to remind us of the sacrifices of those currently serving as well as veterans and all who have fallen to defend this country.
I have heard of some people trying to make Nov. 11 a national holiday and not just a govt one.  I believe that as a day that reminds us of the costs of our enduring freedom and the many sacrifices of those who fought to keep the peace did for us they deserve to be recognized by making the day a national holiday.
Any thoughts on the subject?
:cdn:

I support the idea of bringing CAF Day onto November 11. IMHO, Remembrance Day is not adequately connected with the serving military: it is seen as a day for vets (God Bless) who served 50 or more years ago. This tends to obscure the fact that since the Korean War Canadians have served in all sorts of operations, including combat operations, and a number of them have been killed or injured. It also (again IMHO) obscures the fact that we have a military whose purpose is to be ready to take the same risks that our vets took, if the country asks it of us. In a decade or so, the majority of our "traditional" vets will be either dead or too old and sick to march: we have not produced a similar "surge" of veterans in the last five decades to fill the ranks of our Legions and ANAVETS, many of which are closing. If we integrate the two days, we can keep a critical mass of serving military people to keep Remembrance Day alive, while reminding the people of Canada what being in the military is really about. IMHO at the moment the serving military is a bit sensitive about being seen to steal Nov 11 from the "traditional" vets but I would argue that we are making an unnecessary distinction by having two separate days.

Cheers

pbi said:
I support the idea of bringing CAF Day onto November 11. IMHO, Remembrance Day is not adequately connected with the serving military: it is seen as a day for vets (God Bless) who served 50 or more years ago. This tends to obscure the fact that since the Korean War Canadians have served in all sorts of operations, including combat operations, and a number of them have been killed or injured. It also (again IMHO) obscures the fact that we have a military whose purpose is to be ready to take the same risks that our vets took, if the country asks it of us. In a decade or so, the majority of our "traditional" vets will be either dead or too old and sick to march: we have not produced a similar "surge" of veterans in the last five decades to fill the ranks of our Legions and ANAVETS, many of which are closing. If we integrate the two days, we can keep a critical mass of serving military people to keep Remembrance Day alive, while reminding the people of Canada what being in the military is really about. IMHO at the moment the serving military is a bit sensitive about being seen to steal Nov 11 from the "traditional" vets but I would argue that we are making an unnecessary distinction by having two separate days.

Cheers

With respect, I have to disagree ... the sole and quite sufficient purpose of Remembrance Day is to honour our war dead.   The Act of Remembrance (Laurence Binyon; see: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWbinyon.htm ) is the central point*, in my personal opinion the only point in having a public celebration, and it is not about veterans, it is about those who did not survive long enough to be veterans.

We do, in my view, need a military day: to honour veterans, with a fairly broad definition of that word, and serving members, regular and reserve.   6 June is not a bad choice but, maybe, a revitalized Victoria Day would work, too.

There is, also, an argument that we should celebrate two events on 1 July: just after dawn, in St. Johns, the passion of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont Hamel (http://home.ca.inter.net/~cstephens/beaumont_hamel/ ) and, later in the day, the delight (I think that's   the right word) we all take in being lucky enough to be Canadians or to be in Canada.

I think we do need to acknowledge the courage and sacrifice of veterans and soldiers, but I think we have, already, debased Remembrance Day enough.   The Legion (not alone) has been trying to make it all about veterans; others, within and outside government, have been trying to make it a â Å“no more wars' day.   It is, I suggest, about individuals, very select individuals, and their actions in operations â “ not just declared wars.   These individuals, mostly young men, were cut down in their prime and we should remember them â Å“at the going down of the sun and in the morningâ ? for what the did, and for who they might have been ...

----------

* We have, also, tried to gussy up In Flanders Fields and make it the 'point' but neither it nor the better (my opinion) Owen stacks up against the one verse by Binyon.

Anthem for Doomed Youth

Wilfred Owen

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
    Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
    Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries for them from prayers or bells,
    Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,â ”
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
    And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
    Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes.
    The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of silent maids,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

I think we do need to acknowledge the courage and sacrifice of veterans and soldiers, but I think we have, already, debased Remembrance Day enough.   The Legion (not alone) has been trying to make it all about veterans; others, within and outside government, have been trying to make it a â Å“no more wars' day.   It is, I suggest, about individuals, very select individuals, and their actions in operations â “ not just declared wars.   These individuals, mostly young men, were cut down in their prime and we should remember them â Å“at the going down of the sun and in the morningâ ? for what the did, and for who they might have been ...

I don't think I can agree here. It was not my intent to suggest that we weaken Remembrance Day: quite the contrary. I meant that Armed Forces Day could vanish as a "stand alone" day.

While certain people (such as the "no more wars" crowd-as honorable as their intentions may be) or the "Remember Women Sexually Assaulted By Soldiers" faction, etc etc, could be considered to have "debased" the meaning of the day, I scarcely think that bringing the focus of a nation onto its Armed Forces, through the lens of the losses suffered by those who have served in them, and the losses that may be borne by those who serve now and in the future, could be consider "debasing" If anything, I think that Armed Forces Day could be elevated from "climb on the Army tank and paint your face day" to something that puts us more in a light that IMHO we need to   be seen in, and I daresay see ourselves in. I return to my point: the "veterans" (in the traditional sense of that word) are leaving us, rapidly. Anything that we can do to strengthen Remembrance Day, and guarantee its longevity in order to keep the spirit (as we understand that spirit to be) alive, is important and, I would say, timely.

Cheers

"CANFORGEN 101/06 CDS 041/06 011604Z JUN 06
CANADIAN FORCES DAY 2006
UNCLASSIFIED
1. On 4 June 2006 Canadians will be invited to celebrate Canadian Forces Day (CF Day), an event occurring every year on the first Sunday in June
2. CF Day is an opportunity for Canadians to pay tribute to you, the members of the CF, by showing their support for the work you do to protect Canada, provide humanitarian assistance, and carry out search and rescue operations to save life and limb
3. I wish to express my deep pride and sincere appreciation to all of the soldiers, sailors and airmen and airwomen who wear the maple leaf and promote Canadian values around the world
4. In many ways, you symbolize what unites us as Canadians: eagerness to help those in need, contributions to peace, and willingness to protect the things we value
5. I pay tribute to your families, who are also called upon to serve Canada when you are posted and when you are deployed. Your loved ones are integral to the CF community, and I know you could not do your work without their support
6. Canadian Forces and DND public affairs personnel are promoting public awareness of CF Day, and I would be grateful if you would support that effort by participating in events organized in your community
7. If you require information about CF day, please contact your closest public affairs office "

More info, and a CF fact sheet can be found at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Focus/DECPR/cfday_e.asp

I wrote a letter to the troops, are they having any events in Ontario on this day?

Jake said:
I wrote a letter to the troops, are they having any events in Ontario on this day?

Yep:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/44683.0.html

I should have said this a long time ago. To all the Canadian Forces personnel on this forum thank you for everything you do for us civvies, It's greatly appreciated. The great work you guys do makes me even prouder to be Canadian, and I hope that soon I will have the honour and the privilege of working with you.  :D

Anyone know of events that are being put off in The halifax area for CF day, a friend of mine would like to attend.

Back