• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

27-28 Oct 07 Anti-War Marches in CAN

Just a Side Question.
Was it not confirmed that 7 of the 9 major leaders of the Peace Activists for Vietnam were actually KGB?

I wonder what the background check on Francis would reveal?

I would hope the media would jump all over that one and maybe a spin off to all the Good our Troops are doing.

Cheers,
Ben

* Bring placards, banners, puppets, noisemakers and drums! *

PUPPETS and DRUMS!!!!

Man I wish I lived in Victoria right now! I thought I was all for the mission in Afghanistan but puppets and drums!, How could they be wrong?!

Everyone underestimates the power of a well rehearsed puppet show! Backed by a stirring beat on the bongos, Man simply glorious!

If we had a well trained group of puppeteers and a bongo quartet in Kandahar we could put that mission to bed before Christmas!

Maybe we could co-ord with these guys on some kind of combined ops thing!

Kyu said:
I wonder how the march will go in Montréal. Anarchists always find the way to make things go bad.

When I was in CÉGEP, I went to a march against the failure tax (Taxe à l'échec). One of the student union leader of my college was my roommate, so I stuck with him. I was there when all the groups discussed the path of the march. I didn't know why but the anarchists insisted to go into a certain street. And what happened when we went into that street? The anarchists broke into the Sony store and stole some stuff!!! The riot squad charged on us, so we had to flee by the Métro.

I never went to a march again, and I kept myself far away from the student union after that. :D

I wasn't RIGHT in my head when I choose to attend that march.   ;D

After having witnessed the incident, that WAS the time to get involved in the student union.
Next time the anarchists spoke up, you could have thrown the SONY incident in their face AND make everyone else aware of the "anarchists" hidden agenda.

a_majoor said:
We can get our point of view across too. Many members have a positive view of what we have done in Afghanistan, and a fair portion want to go back to continue the job. If a large number of service members who served in Afghanistan, Mirage and the Arabian Sea were to write letters to the editor for publication on the 27-28, called into call in radio shows those days and posted on blogs outlining the various positive aspects of the mission in Afghanistan that they were involved in and stated their willingness to go back, that message from the thousands of troops all across Canada will totally overshadow the paltry few protesters crowded together for their tight shot in the newspaper. If military family members were willing to also write and call in support of the mission and their deployed family members, then Canadians would really see and hear "Military Families Speaking Out".

+100

In fact, along these lines, one of the usual suspects has written an opinion piece saying we should write to the PM et. al. about our concerns regarding the AFG mission.  He even shares a URL where you can just write an e-mail on the web-based form and have it sent automatically (if link in this message doesn't work, go to article, go to last paragraph of the piece and link from there).  I wonder what would happen if people just erased the canned message in the web form, substituted their own free speech messaging, and sent it?  >:D

And send Painswessex's message to all media and blogs that you have access to as well!

milnewstbay said:
+100

In fact, along these lines, one of the usual suspects has written an opinion piece saying we should write to the PM et. al. about our concerns regarding the AFG mission.  He even shares a URL where you can just write an e-mail on the web-based form and have it sent automatically (if link in this message doesn't work, go to article, go to last paragraph of the piece and link from there).  I wonder what would happen if people just erased the canned message in the web form, substituted their own free speech messaging, and sent it?   >:D
I guess we'll see what happens when someone tries that.  I just did.  It was kinda fun!   >:D

edited because there's a reason us Adm Clks use all them abbreviations - we can't spell!

Old Ranger said:
Just a Side Question.
Was it not confirmed that 7 of the 9 major leaders of the Peace Activists for Vietnam were actually KGB?

I wonder what the background check on Francis would reveal?

I would hope the media would jump all over that one and maybe a spin off to all the Good our Troops are doing.

Cheers,
Ben

Ben,
I do not know about confirmation or the exact numbers but there has been some information surfacing, that yes there was direct KGB participation the US Anti War Movement during the Viet Nam war. And yes I too wonder about the funding some of these groups receive through "donations". However, we have had our own knowledgeable "peace experts" before such as Nora Rodd who did interviews on Radio Moscow and visited North Korea during the Korean war. Her antics were criticized in a front page Telgram article (August 2, 1951) by reporter Jock Carroll. But the best of the knowledgeable bunch was United Church Minister James Endicott who won the Stalin Peace prize in 1952. The Toronto Star reported in 1983 (January 6) that  " Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent  and the federal cabinet of 1952 agonized over Canada's role in the Korean war that year and considered prosecuting [Endicott] for treason..................The Cabinet decided not to charge....................because if he had been convicted the punishment was death"(Melady,176)

Source:

Melady, John. Korea: Canada's Forgotten War. Macmillian of Canada, Toronto. 1983

Edited by Vern to correct ref.

I don't let this sh** bother me anymore it use too alot.These are the types of people that would run to the hills if they were forced to fight for this great nation.They wave the fag on Canada day but asked if they would serve their reply would be dear god no!Canada means nothing to this people.I say carry on sheep!

MikeH said:
I don't let this sh** bother me anymore it use too alot.These are the types of people that would run to the hills if they were forced to fight for this great nation.They wave the fag on Canada day but asked if they would serve their reply would be dear god no!Canada means nothing to this people.I say carry on sheep!

Absolutely; the fact that they are out doing this only serves to emphasize the fact that our predecessors in uniform did an excellent job!! And, reinforces the reason why those of us who now wear that uniform need to continue doing that job. I love the fact that protecting their right to protest, yell, scream and lie about us (and the facts of the mission) is one of the very reasons that we exist ... how sweetly ironic that is indeed. We win.

......and free granola bars for everyone too. They forgot to mention that!

Heards of John Lennon glasses, tie-n-dye shirts, stale dope, and warm beer as stand-by.

What a bunch of 'squeezers'

The pangs of having a democracy.

Wes

3rd Herd said:
Ben,
I do not know about confirmation or the exact numbers but there has been some information surfacing, that yes there was direct KGB participation the US Anti War Movement during the Viet Nam war. And yes I too wonder about the funding some of these groups receive through "donations". However, we have had our own knowledgeable "peace experts" before such as Nora Rodd who did interviews on Radio Moscow and visited North Korea during the Korean war. Her antics were criticized in a front page Telgram article (August 2, 1951) by reporter Jock Carroll. But the best of the knowledgeable bunch was United Church Minister James Endicott who won the Stalin Peace prize in 1952. The Toronto Star reported in 1983 (January 6) that  " Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent  and the federal cabinet of 1952 agonized over Canada's role in the Korean war that year and considered prosecuting [Endicott] for treason..................The Cabinet decided not to charge....................because if he had been convicted the punishment was death"(Melady,176)

Source:

Melady, John. Korea: Canada's Forgotten War. Macmillian of Canada, Toronto. 1983

Edited by Vern to correct ref.

Not to mention those nasty Soviets working the nuclear disarmament movement in the 1980's.....

- If the US anti-war movement of the sixties and seventies was milked for it's "fellow travelors", and these people aided the gathering of HUMINT for the Soviets, that is a story that will never be told.  Most of those protesters have graduated and found respectable and influential positions in their communities.  If evidence was to come forward now proving that many of them gathered intelligence for the people that were killing Americans - that would be bad enough.  If it was proven that that information was gathered for the purposes of aiding the interrogation of US pilots who were POWs in North Vietnam, that would cause a national rift.  Remember, those 'students' of the sixties are today's university presidents, congressmen, judges and media tycoons. 

Tried that cut and paste thing (Jack Layton really needs to see what the PRT can do) and got a "Thank you" reply signed by Steve Staples himself! It included his email address should I want to get in touch with him; but I suspect he drops by army.ca from time to time and can check out my opinions of things whenever he wants  ;D

painswessex said:
Do you think if the people who were marching knew about these satistics, to witch would not be possible if it were not for the troops making the peace in order for the NGO's and others to do their thing in country, that they would change thier veiws?

Afghanistan Progress Statistics, valid through October 2007 – for updated version contact Brian.Shipley@international.gc.ca

DEVELOPMENT: increase prosperity and self-sufficiency

Education
- over 6 million children (1/3 girls) enrolled in school, 2007-08 (Afghan Ministry of Education); vs. 2001 figure: 700,000, boys only
-  establishing 4,000 community-based schools & training 9,000 teachers (4,000 female); 120,000 children (85% girls) will benefit
-  literacy courses for over 5,600 people (over 5,100 women) in Kandahar

Economy: - per capita income has doubled in three years
- microfinance program (  top donor): over 380,000 people are accessing savings & small loans service in 23 provinces including Kandahar; more than 2/3 are women; repayment rate over 90%; more than 10,000 new clients on average each month
-  1,500 women developing home-based gardens
-  alternative livelihoods programmes to develop agriculture

Community Development & Infrastructure
- National Solidarity Program: over 17,500 Community Development Councils elected; over 29,000 local infrastructure projects approved nationwide; over 12,700 already completed
-  529 councils, 544 completed projects in Kandahar province: including over 1200 wells, over 150 km of irrigation canals and systems, and 500 culverts
-  more than 10 vocational training initiatives in Kandahar
- almost 6,000 km of roads are being built or refurbished nationwide

- National Area Based Development Programme:  infrastructure in 12 districts of Kandahar province: 4 bridges and 2 dams under construction
- 70,000 farmers have received seeds and fertilizers

-  key Kandahar-Spin Boldak highway being rebuilt & paved

Health: - 7.3 million children targeted for polio vaccination nationwide through March 2009,  including approximately 350,000 in Kandahar province
-  adding obstetric care unit next to Kandahar City Hospital; 14 maternal health care professionals received obstetrics training
- 4,000 new medical facilities have opened nationwide since 2004
- 83% now have access to basic medical care (vs. 9% in 2004)
- infant mortality down 22% since 2000: 40,000 more babies survive every year; under-5 child mortality down 26%
-  over 200,000 recipients in Kandahar of emergency food aid since Dec 2006

Refugees: over 5 million have returned since 2002; over 339,000 in 2007 alone with UNHCR assistance ( -supported)
- 90% of returnees find jobs within six months of return

Humanitarian demining: nearly 1.2 billion square metres of land cleared since 1989; 55% reduction in monthly victims, 34% decrease in highly-affected communities
–  support includes targeted demining in Kandahar province; more than 680,000 square metres cleared since March 2005, benefiting over 4000 people

GOVERNANCE: justice, rule of law, and human rights

Elections: over 10 million Afghans registered to vote in free and fair elections for President (2004) and Parliament (2005); 347 women were candidates for lower house

Legislature: 30 parliamentary commissions established; 300 MPs and 500 staff received training

Freedom of Expression: at least 7 television and 40 radio outlets now broadcasting (including  1 CF radio station in Kandahar); more than 350 newspapers and magazines publishing

Gender Equality:  Women’s Rights Fund: 30 projects funded, including radio programs, awareness training, and legal aid assistance

Corrections:  2 civilian mentors/trainers in Kandahar, 1 advisor on corrections for UNAMA in Kabul

Rule of law:  75 prosecutors trained, 68 public defenders, 90 judges (including 16 women); 75 judges trained in specialized procedures, 20 judges trained as trainers of others

Afghan National Police:  - complement of 10 civilian and 24 military police trainers/mentors at Kandahar PRT
- over 475 ANP have received training through the PRT
-  Police OMLT: comprised of CF combat arms units and military police who will work at the district levels to help develop ANP training
-  Senior police advisers: 1 at Canadian Embassy, 2 at CSTC-A (US-led training and reform), 1 deployed to new EU Police Mission HQ in Kabul (up to 11 more to come)
-  support for police salary payments nationwide (Law and Order Trust Fund - LOTFA)
-  funded the construction of 11 Afghan National Police checkpoints and 6 sub-stations allowing the ANP to establish presence and conduct operations in and around Kandahar City

SECURITY: consolidate peace and extend Afghan government control over territory
Afghan National Army:  coordinating and mentoring the training of  soldiers at the Afghan National Training Centre in Kabul; helped train over 35,000 graduates so far
- Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team (OMLT):  approximately 150 CF personnel mentoring 5 ANA kandaks (battalions) + HQ element in Kandahar province
-  ongoing combined operations with ANA and ANP in Kandahar province
-  denying Taliban and other enemy forces both sanctuary and secure lines of communications in Zhari and Panjwayi districts

Peace: 63,000 former combatants disarmed/demobilized; 85,000 light weapons collected; 16,000 heavy weapons secured ( -supported)
link of this?

Malalai Joya - Afghan Women’s Rights Activist and Member of Parliament
Francisco Juarez – Military Families Speak Out

Whaaaaat?

Does anyone else see the irony? Of course you do.

A war resister who was never at risk of being sent to war.
Someone who thinks handing Afghanistan back to the Taliban will HELP womans rights?

Awesome.

Back