• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

29 Years Old, Joining Infantry

Yukon how old would you say the average infantry recruit was? In your experience.

Well, I've made it through 6 weeks so far, which isn't saying much.  I avoided RFT (Warrior Platoon) even though I thought I was in bad shape.  I'm not (or wasn't anyway) in the *best* of shape but the beep test is fairly easy to pass.  However, the extra pounds I carried around on relatively small feet have been a problem and now I have to stay off my feet, or atleast not run, my entire Christmas leave due to stress fractures in my lower legs.  That's not a good thing.

As far as age goes.... At 29, I am one of the older guys in my platoon, but I am not the oldest and there are several guys (and girls) in their late 20s, and a few in their early 30s.  Age is almost irrelevant at basic except when it comes to certain aspects of maturity and attitude, but that's definitely not always dependant on age.

Hey don't worry about age, I'm 30 and going to basic in Jan. As long as you work hard and give it your all you will do fine. Good luck and happy holidays to all

Good Luck...
I am 38 and recently completed IAP/BOTP and am happy to say I was top female athlete on course...
Be ready...don't expect BMQ to get you "there"...be "there" before you go...it's the least you can do  :salute:

HL

I have passed my aptitude test & am now waiting to take my medial. I was offered all positions & I am taking the LCIS course. :salute:

I joined at the Reserves 45 and was the 4th oldest guy on BMQ & SQ. There were recruits 46, 48 & a Cop at age 51 older than me. We all made it through a very demanding BMQ & SQ, many younger people dropped out. Don't for a second use your age as a crutch, it is more mental than physical. 

I would not go to BMQ hoping to get in shape , I would be doing my utmost to be in the best possible shape before you hit BMQ.

Once you make it through you won't regret it.

Good luck Kid : )

Just got an offer today. BMQ Aug 13th.
I'm 39 just getting back in shape.

Theres lots of us over 30 out there in the military starting our careers. Its not just for the young guns anymore!!  Im 31, have a 5yr old.

Your right the Military is not just for Young guys but some trades really are for the younger gun's.

The Infantry is when starting out. It's hard on the body when you're young it's brutl when you stop healing like you used to.

Good luck to you older gentlemen/women who want to be a grunt.

I'm 35 now and looking at starting basic officer training in a year or two (still waitign on the security clearance).  The fitness worries me a bit, but I am in good shape and think with a lot of pain I can make it.  I do wonder about other people's views of people like me waiting so long to join.  Do any of you have stories? Are people who have had long civilian lives before joining seen any differently?  Is there any information on the success or drop out rate of older recruits going into training?

proudnurse said:
Good Luck! I am 30 yrs old myself. I am looking into joining the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. Maybe some day I will join the Reg's but I have a small daughter at home so I am going to try the Reserves first. Keep us updated!

Rebecca

reba... you said the rhli? I'm in that regiment right now... are you in it? or did you go somewhere else? I don't know many names at my regiment, though, but if you're there, sign in at 18:50. I'll sign in at that time and we can like, meet in real life  :D

Just a little update....

as of right now on my DP1, there's a 40 y/o, 38, 36, 32, 31 and a few others who I am pretty sure are in their 30's but I can't say for sure.

Wow, I'm heading to Meaford on the 9th to wait for a month for DP1, I'm not sure if i would have the stones to try it at 30-40. Good luck and lets us know how ya do.

Well so far, the older guys have been the among (if not "the") strongest, both mentally and physically.

Well I got my call, I am leaving on Aug 19th @ 630am for 13 wks

when I was sworn in the youngest seemed to be a little happy about it but his parents were more nervous about it.

13 weeks of fun,  I am going in as a Combat Engineer  :warstory: can't wait until the engineer training happens then I get to use lots of fun stuff.

OK for all you personal that are joining the CF 30 and up here the truth, the CF is a different plase then say 20 yrs ago, they are they to help you not kill you they want good people so don.t worrie about the PT it will come with time. That said you are only as fast as you slowers solider so work hard and together and you will have know problen making it through BMQ.

Ubique

HitorMiss said:
It's hard on the body when you're young it's brutl when you stop healing like you used to.

Smarties (Motrin) and ice (in a drink and in a bag on your knees) will see you through!  Thirty years and still giving 'er!

FYI, DirtyDog, my former CO just retired as an RCR LCol.  Joined the CF in his late twenties as an Inf officer.  One of the hardest men I have ever met, SF types included, and a true professional and gentleman.

Back