• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2nd HLTA

THEONE

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently serving in afghanistan and was curious about a 2nd HLTA.  Does anyone know the requirments to receive.  I could have sworn it was 9 months, but was recently told it was something like 245 days overseas.  If anyone has the proper info it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

PS.  I know that someone where I am should know but I am currently unable to locate anyone where I am.  So please leave answers like "Go see your clerk" out.

I was told 8 months was the cut off mark when I was on Roto 4. I asked around, since all of my troop got RiP'd and left me and 3 guys who had been on ground since beginning August floating around mid March without a definate time to head home. If you get 2 HLTAs, I believe they are 2 weeks in length, not ~20 days as the first one.

This would probably fit better in Military Administration subforum.

My husband is getting ready to deploy in June, maybe for 6 months, maybe for 9...they're still waiting on a decision on extending his and several other positions.

He was told last week by someone in the J1 shop at CEFCOM that if he goes for 9 months, he'll get two HLTAs.  The first will be a long one, and can be 3rd location.  The second will be short, and he has to come home.  This is supposedly the way they are doing it now.  I can't provide a ref, however.  Sorry.  If I find more info, I'll post it.

Thats ok.  The basic information that I'm looking for right now is how many days a soldier needs before he is given a second HLTA.

The calculation is 2.5 days of leave for every 30 days in theatre, plus up to 48 hours at the beginning and the end of the leave period for travel (ie your leave is not supposed to include the time it takes to travel from Mirage to wherever you're going).

There should be Task Force Standing Orders (TFSOs) or Theatre Standing Order (TSO)detailing the administration of the leave (one long, or break it into two). That's the document you'll need to find.  I've tried searching the DWAN but no luck finding the TSO/TFSO for leave.  Found one from 2005, but that has to be out of date.  Here's the link for that - http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFDTS/143000440022542/TSO_0110_LEAVE.DOC

CDIOs (CEFCOM Directives for International Operations) spell out the number of days, but the TF has the ultimate authority to decide how to administer it.

Link to CDIOs (leave is in the 1000 series) http://cefcom.mil.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=5759

(links are DWAN only)

Cool  Thank you.  That is probably the best answer I could ever expect period.  Very informative and pretty much what I wanted to hear.  Thank you once again.

I'm actually currently in theater on a 9-month (closer to 10, really), and yes we do get 2 14-day (not including travel day) HLTA blocks.

I don't know how many days you need to qualify, but I'm willing to bet that the people who can tell you X number of days, would be the ones who are actually administering those HLTAs.

Give a shout out to the TFK (NCE) OR, and they should be able to tell you what you need to know.

Also, remember that for the second HLTA, you only can get up to a third of the payout for Third Location Leave.

This is an old post so not sure if anyone will get this or not but..........what is the current HLTA specs? ie. number of days in theatre to get one HLTA and number of days in theatre to get a second HLTA?
Thanks All

ab136 said:
This is an old post so not sure if anyone will get this or not but..........what is the current HLTA specs? ie. number of days in theatre to get one HLTA and number of days in theatre to get a second HLTA?
Thanks All

I'll give you the ref for the frequency of HLTA from CBI 10, as well as the link below. Just search for 10.21 for the full HLTA section.

Since it is a theater processed benefit I'd suggest talking to the OR for more clarification, as I don't know your situation.

10.21.04(2) (Frequency of HLTA) A member is entitled to one HLTA for each:

a) 60 to 120 consecutive day period of the deployment or assignment if the member is not deployed or assigned for a period of 120 consecutive days or more, but not more than one HLTA during each six consecutive month period;
b) six consecutive month period of the posting or attached posting; or
c) twelve consecutive month period of the posting if the member is entitled to the allowance under section 22 (Vacation Travel Allowance).

CBI 10

Back