• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

4 dead in Afghan protests over cartoon of prophet

So what's the alternative?

Stop all criticizm and pretend everything's ok?  Surely if we don't talk about it, they won't get mad at us, and then we won't have a problem!

Right.  Neville Chamberlain comes to mind:

“We should seek by all means in our power to avoid war, by analyzing possible causes, by trying to remove them, by discussion in a spirit of collaboration and good will. I cannot believe that such a program would be rejected by the people of this country, even if it does mean the establishment of personal contact with the dictators.”

Fat lot of good that did.  Keep talking, sure, but at the same time start sharpening the knives.

More dead now  ;D

WRT the issue at hand - Its a frick'in cartoon folks -- anyone who decides that this is a rationale for violence needs a few 147gr JHP's in the head...

Quotes from 48Highlander,
It means in addition to kicking their asses, we have to try and reverse centuries of ***-backwards religious indoctrination.
What I'm against is the PC mindset that says "most Muslims are a-ok, so we can't descriminate at all or offend them in any way".  I'm all for trying to educate them; either we win their "hearts and minds", or we nuke 'em, and I'm not a big fan of genocide, but as long as most of our people have this mindset, we're not going to be able to achieve either
That's....well, it's not something I'd expect from a soldier, that's for sure.  Maybe some guy with long hair and sandals....

Thats enough from you...... everyone is in agreement that something must be done but nothing would satisfy your hatred except total annihilation of Islam.
There are other sites for hatred, this one is for real ideas and discussion.

And just so we know what is expected here, this site just by its nature partially represents the CF to the viewing public. I think everyone will agree there is a LARGE problem with radical Islam today, however as professionals, past, present and future, it is not our place just to hate.
It is our place to try and find a future of security and peace for our children, it may come to things we don't really want to do, and like the one smart thing Highlander said, we will sharpen our knives and prepare for the worst,.....................quietly, like the professionals the CF's are.
Not by mindlessly spewing hatred........
Thank you,
Bruce

And now for something completely different.  Assuming that the links are valid and not some marvellous CIA plot.

http://freedomforegyptians.blogspot.com/2006/02/egyptian-newspaper-pictures-that.html

I still stand by my position that it is inappropriate to offer offence and thus it was in poor taste to run the cartoons in the first place.  Jylland still has a fairly strong population of church-going Lutherans that would be offended by mocking Christ, in fact the paper has stated that it has refused to run such images.

However the issue of appropriateness of running the cartoons is entirely separate from the issue of the reaction.

I see 48H finally self-destructed.

In any case, to answer his question, in no way do I suggest we don't talk about it. I do think some of the previous comments using terms like "heathen," "primitive," "nuke 'em" don't advance the debate, and only serve to inflame. There are many Muslims that agree the violent reaction of their community to the cartoons is foolish, at best (I posted a couple of examples.) What we should do is engage them to change the face of Islam. They don't like to be represented by the sort of nutjobs that call for beaheadings because of a satirical cartoon (however bad taste).

I noticed that today,  the riot du jour as far as the news was concerned was in Karachi, Pakistan.  The crowd was give as about 1000.  If that is the largest crowd they could come up with world-wide then it would seem to suggest a slackening of effort.

How's things looking in Afghanistan?  Are the crowds getting bigger or smaller?

1000 in Karachi is like one guy ranting from atop a milk-crate in Edmonton. I think you're right Kirkhill, they may be getting a  bit  sick of it.

Some smaller crowds spotted 50-80 pers (but multiple groups) -- some where off to burn the German Embassy today (I guess Germany in in Europe and so in Denmark... that sort of logic)

A bunch of ADP around and larger than normal numbers of ANP as well.

K has not been moving - so I guess he does not want his guards mowing down a bunch of potential voters  ;D

Some smaller crowds spotted 50-80 pers (but multiple groups) -- some where off to burn the German Embassy today (I guess Germany in in Europe and so in Denmark... that sort of logic)

The smaller crowds are good to hear. So is a tendency for the "other guys" to punch spectators in the nose. Maybe it will get them out of the stands and onto the field.

Keep safe.

Doesn't sound like it is going to calm down any time soon... shields up - take care guys!

muffin

Updated Thu. Feb. 9 2006 1:01 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

There is no end in sight to Muslim outrage over the publishing of inflammatory depictions of the Prophet Muhammad.

Hundreds of thousands of Shiite Muslims held a peaceful protest Thursday in Beirut. The protest came out of a Shiite festival of Ashoura, which marks the death of the Prophet's grandson, Imam Hussein, killed in Karbala in Iraq 1,300 years ago.

At that rally, Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah urged Muslims worldwide to continue demonstrating until a full apology is offered and Europe passes laws forbidding insults of the Prophet.

"Defending the prophet should continue all over the world. Let (U.S. Secretary of State) Condoleezza Rice and (President George W.) Bush and all the tyrants shut up. We are an Islamic nation that cannot tolerate, be silent or be lax when they insult our Prophet and sanctities.''\

"We will uphold the messenger of God not only by our voices but also by our blood,'' he told the crowds, estimated by organizers at about 700,000.

His comments come after U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Iran and Syria of inciting violence in their countries, and U.S. President George Bush called on governments to stop the violence.

Iran has rejected the U.S. accusations. Syria has not commented.

Meanwhile, Denmark has temporarily closed its mission in Beirut, after protesters burned it on Sunday. All the staff has now left Lebanon.

The cartoons, first published in a Danish newspaper and more recently reprinted across Europe and other parts of the world, including Canada, have incensed Muslims and led to violent protests in which at least 11 people have been killed.

Western media insist they are exercising their right to free speech by publishing the cartoons -- including one depicting the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb.

Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of the prophet.

Despite the violence, Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons, said it stands by its decision to print them. However, it did apologize last week for offending Muslims.

Protesters have attacked embassies in Syria, Lebanon and Iran, and have rioted in Afghanistan.

On Wednesday, four people were killed in the Afghan city of Qalat, after protesters marched on a U.S. military base. Angry Muslims are directing their anger against America, not Europe.

Aside from Beirut, protests were also held Thursday in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka, where demonstrators burned a Danish flag. In Srinigar, the capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir, protesters chanted "Down with Denmark" and "Down with Israel."

The controversy came to Canada this week after the cartoons were published in The Cadre, the student paper at the University of Prince Edward Island. However, university administration promptly ordered the papers taken off the stands.

Also, Peter March, a professor at St. Mary's University in Halifax, has upset some, after he said he would post the cartoons in his classroom to make a point about freedom of expression.

Muslim students upset by that decision rallied today in Halifax. They say the cartoons show a lack of respect for the Islamic faith.

Meanwhile, police are investigating acts of vandalism at two Islamic mosques north of Montreal they believe could be connected to the cartoon controversy.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060209/cartoon_protests_060209/20060209?hub=TopStories

I think there is a difference between 500,000 in the streets in Lebanon, or Syria or Iran, than 500,000 in Afghanistan or London. One is expected.  The other isn't.  To my knowledge the mobs in London have been considerably less than 500,000 and even in places like Afghanistan and Indonesia the crowds are closer in size to those seen in London than Beirut.

Having said that, I hope it settles down soon.

Also hope everyone remembers to duck.

Cheers.

Well 500 pers in a demo/riot today -- Mullah leading the riots today stated purpose "to catch an international and execute them..."

Yeah thats reasonable ::)

;)

Rioting down Airport Road is like shooting fish in a barrel...

I just wish we could just be a little more proactive and whack 'ol mullah bob prior to him firing everyone up.

*next point anyone in touch with the CF NSE/NCE det in Kabul tell that stunned cunt in the Gwagon next time she rolls by us with a camera when we are setting up I will fuckstart her head.

Excuse me if this has already been said, but In the Muslim relgion, it is condemned, and not certainly not allowed in any circumstances to create a picture, or visually represent Muhammad in any way.
That was half of their anger.

I have not seen any Muslim images of the Christian God, so for all I know, they are not hypocrites in that area.
On a second note:
Criticism of Muhammad is often equated with blasphemy, which is punishable by death in some Muslim states.  So the riots are not surprising at all, as the governments are not going to go to war with Denmark, so the people took it upon themselves.

Kev, PM me the details WRT the pictures...

The KCP intercepted a crowd of about 1000 heading for our Camp yesterday... they (the KCP) have been doing an alright job so far... good thing to, cause the eastern-euopean all-stars working out gate would probably have let them in.  ::)

Quote from Koenigsegg,
but In the Muslim relgion, it is condemned, and not certainly not allowed in any circumstances to create a picture

Not true at all, the Shites and the Sunni's differ on this, its like eating meat on Friday,.....wrong or right?

Mike_R23A said:
Kev, PM me the details WRT the pictures...

The KCP intercepted a crowd of about 1000 heading for our Camp yesterday... they (the KCP) have been doing an alright job so far... good thing to, cause the eastern-euopean all-stars working out gate would probably have let them in.  ::)

...and kept keep us out... ::)

Duey

Back