• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

$400,000 in 1930s-era bills found in derelict deli

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
$400,000 in 1930s-era bills found in derelict deli
Updated Fri. Jul. 11 2008 11:29 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Junk haulers in Vancouver got quite a surprise while clearing out the apartment above a derelict deli -- turning up close to $1,000 in bills dating back to the 1930s.

The cash, found hidden under a rug, was only a small fraction of the treasure that was stashed in the building.

Shortly afterwards, the caretaker for the building found a paper bag stuffed with $400,000 in dusty bills, also dating back 70 years. By today's standards, the Depression-era nest egg would be worth an estimated $50 million.

Brendan Fuss, who was working on the 1-800-Got-Junk crew that found the initial $1,000, said the discovery was unexpected.

The crew was cleaning out the apartment after the death of the former owner.

"It was a little bit of a surprise for sure," Fuss told CTV's Canada AM on Friday.

"You don't usually think that you're going to find anything much of value after everybody has sort of been through the building and you think you're just going to find carpeting and such. But yeah, all of a sudden a lot of money is showing up and it definitely sparks interest pretty fast."

Though others might have been tempted to quietly slip the cash into a pocket for safekeeping, Duff said the thought never crossed his mind.

"Not really, especially considering the age of the money. It wasn't just fifties, it was multiple hundreds of dollar bills from decades ago, more than 50 years ago, 60, 70 years ago. And just because of the uniqueness of the money it wasn't even really a thought to hang onto it. It was more just a thrill to even find it."

The east Vancouver building, which housed a closed-down deli called the Lido, has now been sold, and the current owners know little about the previous owner, a woman named Margaret Rothweiler who died in February.

She had lived in the building since the
More on link

If I ever found that kind of money I'd be out of this country so fast it wouldn't even be funny. Interesting story, thanks.

I'm just happy that the current owners didn't pounce on it saying "mine - gimmie".... although, quite possibly - it might very well end up being theirs.  ( Wonder how much they paid for the building ??? )

Soooo...the fellows that found the money.  Are they $400,000 richer or $50 Million dollars richer?  It is still considered legal tender so I would assume the value of the cash has remained the same.  For all I know this find could be worth 0.  I wonder what a CDN bank would think showing up with a 70 year old cash deposit?

J

The money is going to her family. Wonder what the bills are worth to a collector?

I am pretty sure its one for one exchange with a bank.  Perhaps someone knows a banker and can ask.

My dad is a collector.

If you take it to the bank, the bank will give you the face denomination value...nothng more.

Take it to a collector, and you will get what the paper is worth (could be significantly more than the denomination value).

per the article, the face value is.... the face value.  The bills are still, to this day, legal tender.
I remember working in Labrador City in the late 70s - customer came in with some King George VI 50$ & 100$ bills.  Caused a bit of confusion to some of my cashiers but, I had been collecting coins and bills & recognized them well enough.

For collectors, the value of the bills will depend on
the denomination,
the signatures on the bill - some governors of the Bank of Canada didn't last too long
the serial numbers - (I once had a 2$ bill that had all 7s in it's serial number)
and most important.... the condition of the bills.... if humidity got into them - not much but, if dry and mint condition, possibly lotta $$$

Back