• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

5 More Canadian Soldiers Injured March 3, 2006

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is another................
4 Canadian soldiers injured in suicide attack
Last Updated Fri, 03 Mar 2006 05:27:34 EST
CBC News
A suicide bomber drove his car into a Canadian military patrol outside Kandahar Friday, injuring four Canadian soldiers, said the military.

INDEPTH: Afghanistan

One of the Canadians has been critically injured, while three others are in serious condition.

A spokesperson for the Taliban told Associated Press it sent the bomber, who it said was an Afghan from Kandahar province.

FROM MARCH 2, 2006: Nova Scotia soldier killed in Afghan crash

The attack comes a day after Canadian Cpl. Paul Davis was killed when his armoured vehicle ran off the road to avoid an oncoming car and flipped. Six other soldiers and one Afghan civilian were injured.

Two soldiers were critically injured in the incident, which happened on the outskirts of Kandahar. One soldier was flown to a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany.

Davis was the ninth Canadian soldier to be killed in the mission to Afghanistan. Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry was also killed in an attack in January.

Canada has approximately 2,200 troops in southern Afghanistan, under the command of Canadian Brig.-Gen. David Fraser.

I think it is time for scorched earth!!!!!!!!!!!

2023 said:
I think it is time for scorched earth!!!!!!!!!!!
No, it is not.  Remember, not all Afghanis are ready to sacrifice themselves in the name of Allah, and most want a stable country.  Four walls, a roof, food, clothes.  Stuff like that.

UPDATE from http://www.cbc.ca/news:
Five soldiers injured.  Again, let's all keep these fellows in mind

Another update, this one from the Toronto Sun:
"KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - A Canadian soldier was in serious condition and could lose his arm after a suicide bomber exploded his vehicle beside a Canadian armoured vehicle Friday morning near Kandahar, the Canadian military said."
Source: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/03/03/1470570-ap.html
Date: 3 March 2006 at or about 0941 AST.

My thoughts go out the the families of these soldiers. Thank god no one was killed.

camochick said:
My thoughts go out the the families of these soldiers. Thank god no one was killed.
You can say that again.  Hopefully we'll hear news, soon enough, of our lads over there taking it to "the man".

MY hearts go out to all the victims families and I hope that the boys all will be ok and be in good health soon. :salute:

I think CDN soldiers are being targeted because we are not used to going in and hunting down insurgents so they figure that we are a pushover. Please don't rant on me but that is just what I think!! OR maybe that we are the "new guys"

Maybe because we are occupying "There" country...

Compareable to the Marquis (?) and the Germans in WW2?

They're targetting us cuz we are in uniforms and in their country PERIOD.  Some radicals have heavily warped some minds into thinking this situation, A-stan needing a stable security force, is not what A-stan needs.  I'm pretty sure there's no political motives behind the attacks, they pretty much targetted all military patrols and convoys, no matter which country it belongs to.  I'm sure that the other countries are getting this same treatment just that we haven't heard a lot about it.

I think Canadian SOP's in Afghanistan will have to be reviewed. I dont want to generate a discussion that will violate OPSEC, but two practices have bothered me. The first is the decision not to counter-attack after coming under fire. This sends the wrong message to the bad guys that Canadians wont get out of their vehicles for fear of taking casualties. The second issue is how aggressive a convoy should be to protect itself.
US convoys have faced the car bomb in Iraq and it has forced us to fire on any vehicle that appears to be a threat. I agree with a previous poster that the taliban may feel that they can force a Canadian retreat from Afghanistan.

Guy. E said:
Maybe because we are occupying "There" country...

We are over there.

We are not 'occupying' 'Their' country.

They're in need of our assistance in providing security so that they are able to put their country back into a safe and orderly state.

735_winnipeg said:
They're targetting us cuz we are in uniforms and in their country PERIOD.  Some radicals have heavily warped some minds into thinking this situation, A-stan needing a stable security force, is not what A-stan needs.  I'm pretty sure there's no political motives behind the attacks, they pretty much targetted all military patrols and convoys, no matter which country it belongs to.  I'm sure that the other countries are getting this same treatment just that we haven't heard a lot about it.

I bet this is all influencing your decision to deploy isn't it?

armyrules said:
I think CDN soldiers are being targeted because we are not used to going in and hunting down insurgents so they figure that we are a pushover. Please don't rant on me but that is just what I think!! OR maybe that we are the "new guys"

Well, it's not that we don't know how to fight the insurgents, we have been doing it all along, we were there with the American's when we all first went into Afganistan! Remember Op Anaconda? Yeah, that was a combat operation.

Problem is our hands -ARE- tied by ROE. You see, we want to try not to kill any civilians, at all if possible...

Speaking of returning fire, there was 2 seperate threads on here in past weeks of our troops returning fire. Once with our new arty guns supported from the rear even! From what people have said on this site and what I've heard, you just sometimes can't tell who is THE suicide bomber.... It's not like they run up and yell, "I'm a terrorist and I am going to blow your b*tch a$$ up!"..... Doesn't work like that from what I can tell.

I concur that they will attack any and all countries or soldiers operating in the area regardless of what flag is on the shoulder, god I hope we don't loose too many more. Obviously there will be casualties but every time I read about one on this site it kills me, I couldn't imagine the pain and regret had I ever deployed and lost a buddy or had to think about what my family would be like if I came home in a box... It's harsh!

Goodluck to ALL friendlies in Afganistan

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured and their families.

R031 Pte Joe said:
Problem is our hands -ARE- tied by ROE. You see, we want to try not to kill any civilians, at all if possible...

And you are basing that on what? I think you're straying way out of your lane on this.

Op Archer ROEs are very robust and allow for a wide range of actions.....which I won't get into for OPSEC reasons.

When we switched from Op Athena to Archer we were quite relieved in the LAVs that it actually allowed us more freedoms.

Listen folks....these things happen and will continue into the near future.

They happened on my tour and I'm quite sure that it's not the last for this one either.

As for reviewing their SOPs....I'm sure that's already been looked at by this point    ;)

Regards

My thoughts and prayers go out to the wounded but especially to their families, I was in their shoes yesterday.

S_Baker said:
Why are CDN soldiers being targeted?  I think A-Q and Taliban sympathizers think they can Spanish-ize CDN public support and then in turn force the CDN government to withdraw from A-stan.  I would suspect that CDN politicians other than the Conservatives will try to make hay with this....time will tell.

i agree if we had more public support and ALL the government was backing us it might help
but thank god noone was killed and a speedy recovery to the rest

Prayers and thoughts to the families of the wounded.

muffin

S_Baker said:
Why are CDN soldiers being targeted?  I think A-Q and Taliban sympathizers think they can Spanish-ize CDN public support and then in turn force the CDN government to withdraw from A-stan.  I would suspect that CDN politicians other than the Conservatives will try to make hay with this....time will tell.

I can't see the Liberals making hay of this...they are the ones that sent our troops there in the first place.  But I can see the Marxist NDP start foaming at the mouth...

My thoughts and prayers go to those who are injured and their families.  :salute:

Back