• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Apparently he’s cooperating. Which means that he has info on someone higher that they think will be worth the plea deal. That’s a heavy charge to plead guilty to. It’ll be very interesting to see who he rolls on, given that he himself was a regional leader of the organization.

Jackson said his father eventually grew concerned about getting caught by the FBI and warned Jackson and one of his sisters that "traitors get shot."

"Scared, not really for myself, but for my sister," Jackson said, "Because what he said was a threat. ... That's not OK to say to your kids."

Jackson said his sister Peyton, "flustered," began to go through her apps on her phone, and his father threatened to "put a bullet" in the phone.

"That's a violent action towards my little sister," Jackson said.

Attorney General Merrick Garland told NPR that the Justice Dept. is “not avoiding cases” that are controversial or political - such as possibly charging former President Donald Trump for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

This is the wife of USSC Justice Clarence Thomas:

:oops:

While it may be a bit extreme, but considering her history, it's not really surprising.

And in this Slate ( :rolleyes: ) article from Jan 2021
Ginni Thomas’ activism on matters that come before her husband raises thorny ethical issues. Federal law requires justices to recuse themselves from any proceeding in which their “impartiality might reasonably be questioned.” It also compels justices to recuse if their spouse has “an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome” of the case. In the coming months and years, Democrats will likely pressure Clarence Thomas to recuse himself from high-profile cases or to resign altogether. If Thomas steps down under Biden, progressives can restore a 5–4 divide on the Supreme Court, giving Chief Justice John Roberts control once again. Given Thomas’ staunch refusal to recuse thus far, though, there is little chance that he will take any steps to remediate his conflicts of interest, let alone retire during the presidency of a man he openly despises.

Yeah, this is pretty on brand for her.

I’m curious whether this, in conjunction with his hospitalization, might lead him to decide it’s time to retire?

Yeah, this is pretty on brand for her.

I’m curious whether this, in conjunction with his hospitalization, might lead him to decide it’s time to retire?
Zealots hang on until the last gasp.

😟

He had an infection, not cancer, and he's only 73, so it's not exactly a "last gasp". In that regard, there are better examples to flog, or to use when setting a benchmark. Maybe Biden and Pelosi could resign, to set an example?

I too think it unlikely that Thomas wants Biden to enjoy the privilege of nominating Thomas's replacement.

He had an infection, not cancer, and he's only 73, so it's not exactly a "last gasp". In that regard, there are better examples to flog, or to use when setting a benchmark. Maybe Biden and Pelosi could resign, to set an example?

I too think it unlikely that Thomas wants Biden to enjoy the privilege of nominating Thomas's replacement.

The issue is less the medical situation, and more the fact that, on a number of different subjects, his wife’s conflicting interests mean that he is egregiously compromised and would be expected to recuse himself from deliberations.

But yes, that said, it’s probably hopelessly optimistic of me to think that might lead him to take a principled retirement from the bench.

Back