• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9mm Browning Replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter rceme_rat
  • Start date Start date
Just this week i was firing a Glock 17 and Glock 34 on a make shift range. (Along with a sweet AK47 i might add). I held a replica glock before and it felt really awkward in my hand so i assumed it would be horrible to shoot. Once i shot it however it changed my opinion completly. I think it‘s an incredible weapon. Mind you i dont know all the stats to it but from a basic point of view, it was beautiful. very very accurate too, i was shooting at 20 and 30 meters whch to me seemed a fair distance for a pistol, hit the target every round.

SCM why replace something that still works? What about the .50 cal? The US got rid of most of their 1911A1s in the ‘80s and adopted them back during World War 1? Versions of the High Power are still being made today by FN.

Ghost: The Glock is a good pistol, but it is not suited for use by the military. It has very few safeties, other than the trigger safety, which would make it more difficult to employ as a military service pistol. However, this same issue makes it a great police pistol.

My vote goes completely with the Sig Sauer which, in my opinion, is one of the best pistols out there. Ergonomic, smooth action, easy to handle, lightweight, durable, just generally good!

It may still work, but alot of people here seem to have problems with it and I was just curious if the government had realized the problems and will be replacing it. Versions of the High Power are still being made today by FN, but how old are the ones we have?

Any one heard of the problems the Sig has with +P rounds? The MP‘s (iirc) have gone to subsonic rounds- both to keep the weapons looking like weapons :) and to avoid over-penetration problems.

The Browning works just fine for what it was designed for- basically a knife fight.

Imho- a handgun‘s primary use is to allow you to fight your way to your rifle.

Cheers-Garry

Would someone be able to bring their own sidearm from home when they go on deployment?

Not just no, but **** no.

Maybe if you‘re looking for novel ways to land in Club Ed, but otherwise nope, nadda, no chance.

The Brownings are tools to keep you in the firefight to allow you the chance to unf*ck your rifle or MG and get it back into the fight. Particularly handy in Fib if your C7 goes tits up in the middle of clearing a room.

As for getting rid of the pistol...go ask an armoured guy like a driver or gunner what they think of that. It‘s next to impossible to drag your C7 out of the F*****G hatch in a hurry.
The Browning HP is an excellent gun but we should have newer versions and they should be double action. :akimbo:

nice pistol, but i dont think that canada will go for any .45 (although i wouldnt mind it one bit). the 9mm is what they swear by due to the better results with it against body armour.

Go with what works....
the Browning. For general military purpose it works just fine. For the MP‘s and JTF, you need something a bit diffrent, and Sig 225/6 has seem to be the chosen one for that role. Also, if I might add to the list, the DART team medic all have P225‘s
Personally, as a medic, I‘d love to have a C8, and not worry about size, ammo or firepower.

I see your point about safty but on operations, save for MPs, we never have a round in the chamber so to me that makes the issue of having a safty on the firearm a mute one.

I‘m sure the boys in Afganistan had/have a round up the chamber when they leave the camp.

AmericanRebel: I‘m a big fan of Springfield Armory and Colt 1911 descendents in general. But right off, at $2400US per pistol, there is no way. If preference were a factor, then I‘d suggest either the Sig‘s, H&K USP‘s or a Para Ordinance Tactical (I just prefer my SA .45) but regardless, it‘s the same old story. Train with what you‘re issued with.

Which raises the question, how much time on the range is average these days? Buddy of mine put over 3000 rds through his Smith before he left depot (RCMP). I‘m doubting the MP‘s are popping that many off.

The Brownings are excellent, the only questions are of wear and suitability. I‘m certain a commission will be convened in the Caymans any day now to get right on that.

I talked to an MP friend of fine over the summer and he said they‘d be lucky to shot 3 times a year.

Saw something in Janes Defence Weekly today that mentions we use the H&K MP7, news to me anyone else have any information?

I‘m just guessing off the top of my head as I haven‘t bothered to look this up yet. But if we are using H&K P7‘s, maybe they‘re in the JTF‘s inventory? It‘s a quality pistol in any of it‘s variants, but costly. I doubt that we‘d be using them in a small number if we had them at all, aside from those guys.

Its not a pistol though its a PDW....the H&K P7 is a pistol the H&K MP7 is a PDW....

I like the FN 5.7 I think thats what it‘s called. Apparently it can cut through a kevlar helmet at 200 yds. The only problem I can think of is ammuntion supply because that isn‘t a common calibre.

Back