• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A-10 dropped from N.S airshow

darmil

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060906/NS_airshow_060906/20060906?hub=Canada

Dumb. 
Should we stop using the C7 because one was present when a canadian soldier was shot by accident in an ND?

Friendly fire is horrible. We're loosing people in action against the enemy, friendly fire deaths overshadow it.

While it's a shitty thing and I'm sorry for his family and friends loss, can you imagine how many more soldiers would die WITHOUT airsupport?

Yeah i see your point, but right now bad timing and those pilots would get flooded with good and nasty questions.

Flawed Design said:
Dumb. 
Should we stop using the C7 because one was present when a canadian soldier was shot by accident in an ND?

Friendly fire is horrible. We're loosing people in action against the enemy, friendly fire deaths overshadow it.

While it's a shitty thing and I'm sorry for his family and friends loss, can you imagine how many more soldiers would die WITHOUT airsupport?

I know what you mean but emotions are running high and cancelling an A-10s apearance isnt a big deal.  Like SBD said, it will save some pilot from being in a tough and awkward position.

dropping the A-10 from the show isn't going to stop the questions from coming..you know the ones I mean

just how many LAV3's do the Taliban have?

since when did the Taliban follow leager proticol?

Chewie said:
dropping the A-10 from the show isn't going to stop the questions from coming..you know the ones I mean

You know as much about what happenned as the rest of us do.  You are speculating and thats it.  We dont know the facts of what happenned.  The incident was tragic and i'm sure the investigation will bring about the facts.  How about we wait for that before rushing to judgement.

Removing the A-10 from the show will not stop the questions from coming, but the pilot who was going to bring it to the show had nothing to do with what hapoenned in Afghanistan and doesnt deserve to be placed in an tough spot while emotions run high.

Your right it will save the pilot from questions they shouldn't have to be asked.

Just bugs me knowing how many lives the A10s HAVE saved, including a good buddy of mine in the marines.

Better the pilot not be put in that situation, I just think removing the aircraft is a shallow gesture.

Flawed Design said:
Your right it will save the pilot from questions they shouldn't have to be asked.

Just bugs me knowing how many lives the A10s HAVE saved, including a good buddy of mine in the marines.

Better the pilot not be put in that situation, I just think removing the aircraft is a shallow gesture.

and one made by the Airshow folks, IIRC not any military decision.  Sometimes better safe than sorry?  Consensus at work was that John and Jane Civie wouldn't know a Warthog from a Galaxy, but I think it was done with the right intentions.

I also think it was done for the civilian population/air show goers, cause us military folks KNOW it wasn't on purpose/that plane/that pilot involved.  I was at last years airshow and was up close and personal to the Hog and I still think it is a remarkable airframe.

MRM

Watching CBC today, it seems that some of the surviving soldiers don't blame the A-10 pilot(s) at all, and actually feel sorry for them. This is a rough situation, but I think most people (I hope all) agree that an American pilot would never choose to fire on friendly troops in the first place. From the information from CBC, it seems that the pilot(s) was (were) ordered to attack a small fire that the Taliban started, but the Canadians started a fire as well, so the A-10(s) attacked it.  

It's funny that the pilots are targeted by the media, but no one mentions much about the person who called in the air-strike in the first place.

Elwood said:
It's funny that the pilots are targeted by the media, but no one mentions much about the person who called in the air-strike in the first place.

Its not just the media........we have our own people to jump to conclusions:

Chewie said:

I think its a good idea to drop the A-10 display in the light of the recent blue on blue incident. It removes alot of awkwardness. Next year they can be invited back, if the event wants them.

I was apposed to removing it as I will be going to this airshow, to me the A-10 is a staple of the A.Show! I have seen one warthog or another since I was four years old lol every year so its going to be sad not seeing the bird there. Its downright shamefull to think that people would confront the pilots with questions but not at all suprising some of the idiots I encounter daily, I was under the impression it was still going to be on static display, hopefully the pilots will bug out if only for their sanity.

Its a shame people in Canada  are so childish and ignorant, J.T. Granatstien had it right when it comes to the general Canadian populace and their attitude.

They will have the aircraft as static display only.  I agree with Tomahawk6 that perhaps they should not have the air display this year especially as they were to simulate a ground attack run with a pyrotechnics display.  It is too soon since the incident, it would be better to have a little time pass before they do that act, IMHO. 

I know they are a life saver to the grunts and if I was in theatre I would want them to be the fast air for me too, but my first thought was it would be rubbing salt in the wound to have a simulated display which would closely mimic what it might have looked like.

For what it's worth, this morning on Citizen Q (Q104) seventy - some percent of callers thought it was ridiculous to remove it from the airshow.  I forget the exact percentage.  I was surprised that most showed some sense.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//servlet/story/RTGAM.20060906.wafghan06/BNStory/Afghanistan/home

Canadian troops advance on Taliban
Soldiers cross rough terrain to surround insurgents as offensive continues
GRAEME SMITH

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

PANJWAI DISTRICT, AFGHANISTAN — Canadian troops pushed deep into the warren of fields in Panjwai district Wednesday morning, hunting Taliban under bright moonlight after enduring hours of co-ordinated attacks by the insurgents.

The soldiers crept forward on foot, into terrain so difficult that armoured vehicles could not advance for fear of getting stuck in the rutted fields, irrigation trenches and dry canals.

You should be careful before making that pilot sound like an idiot. As you can see from that article, it is quite possible Canadian troops had no LAV-3 vehicles either. On top of it, night vision equipment is said to make it easier to spot targets, but harder to ID them from another. If the bit about being ordered to attack a camp with a fire that booth sides in fact had built, it is quite an "understandable" mistake and maybe the problem was more caused by the officer who called an airstrike using parameters such as a camp fire, wich is variable and volatile...

Douke

To clear the air and to respond to cdnaviator I wasn't jumping to conclusions like yourself
I was only providing a sample of questions that the gentlmen who would be at the airshow exhibit
would likely face during the airshow from the non-informed.

I think until all the facts are known the move to cancel its showing was a safe if not a practical call
in light of how the first FF incident was handled.

Andy

Back