• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Republican lawmakers in Ohio want to make it harder for voters to pass constitutional amendments in the state, requiring 60% approval. It’s the latest state where GOP-controlled legislatures have attempted to undermine direct democracy.

Fake electors met in Wisconsin and other battleground states where Trump was defeated in 2020, attempting to cast ballots for the former president even though he lost.

So what are your thoughts on those articles??

Republican lawmakers in Ohio want to make it harder for voters to pass constitutional amendments in the state, requiring 60% approval. It’s the latest state where GOP-controlled legislatures have attempted to undermine direct democracy.

Seriously? Attempted to undermine direct democracy? How? By asking voters to decide what they want? Right there in the link. "Will ask Ohio voters in August..." How much more democratic do you want? You best read what you post instead of just dropping something here and taking off. Explain why you think the way you do, instead of just driving by.

Last edited:

Seriously? Attempted to undermine direct democracy? How? By asking voters to decide what they want? Right there in the link. "Will ask Ohio voters in August..." How much more democratic do you want? You best read what you post instead of just dropping something here and taking off. Explain why you think the way you do, instead of just driving by.
I suppose it depends on how much one supports citizen initiative votes or not. But One can offer a democratic vote for something that can end in something that undermines democracy.

Why 60%? What is wrong with the current majority rules? That has been in place since 1912?

I would question the motivation for this given the history and current political climate.

Are you speaking of the USA or Canada?
Both. I've made no bones about the fact that I'm centrist-right. I have problems with my own party which has been catering to an extreme right element which frankly disgusts me and I'm quite concerned that the social shift in Canada is, like it has for almost a century, following American trends by a decade or so. The US is deeply polarized politically while much of the population remains centrist. In other words, I believe much of Canada is centrist like me but we're being pulled apart in order to kowtow to the extremist wings like they have in the US.

Well, Donald Trump once said, "I love the poorly educated." Maybe he was referring to his own party. ;)
Before Regan I was generally trending Republican. I'm not sure if Regan actually changed things or whether he was just a marker of a changing trend, but by this point in time it is mostly a bat-shit crazy party.

With that I do not leave the Democrats or Liberal/NDP group alone. I hate the term "Woke" because it used to describe me at a time where I supported (and still do) social liberal policies. I firmly believe that you can believe whatever you want and do whatever you want as long as you do not harm others and that you not demand that everyone else think and be just like you under penalty of law. It's the dictatorial nature of any movement that outrages me. Conservatives and liberals have both gone dictatorial.

The far left "liberal" side of the social continuum has gone from supporting tolerance and acceptance to demanding conformity to their view of what the standards should be. Every day the yardsticks of those standards shift a little further left and have become more extreme and strident. "Woke" has developed into a four letter word. One thing that I detest is that us centrists are now being pushed by both extremist wings to align ourselves with the policies and positions of one end of the spectrum or the other.

There is a desperate need for a political movement that fits well into the centre. There was a time when the difference between Progressive Conservative and Liberal was very narrow and depended more on the quality of the leaders and fiscal policies rather than their extremist views on social policies. Education came from a biased but a generally fair and balanced education system and main-stream media. The extremist factions have subverted both and social media has compounded the problem with a flood of tripe.

There used to be a time when I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt until they demonstrated their stupidity to me. Now I just assume they are stupid until they can prove to me that they are rational. I don't like that.

Rant off.

😖

Last edited:
There is a desperate need for a political movement that fits well into the centre.

I am hoping this movement can gain some traction. If they opt to form a new party, I can see myself voting that way. Even if they have little hope of forming government or even having an MP elected, my thought is that if enough votes go there way it may wake the other parties up or at least set up the ground work when and if either party finally implodes for a future election.

I am hoping this movement can gain some traction. If they opt to form a new party, I can see myself voting that way. Even if they have little hope of forming government or even having an MP elected, my thought is that if enough votes go there way it may wake the other parties up or at least set up the ground work when and if either party finally implodes for a future election.
Interesting. That's the first I'd heard of them. They merit looking into. Thanks.

🍻

Much like Bernier and the PPC?

Much like Bernier and the PPC?
Not at all like them.

Edit: sorry if you meant policy wise that is.

Yes similar in terms of garnering some support. PP and the CPC has shifted to the right to try and recapture that vote from the PPC.

If the CIC can do something similar for the middle, either by attracting enough votes or by making the main parties shift back to the Center as a result then I might have a place to park my vote.

Not at all like them.

Edit: sorry if you meant policy wise that is.

Yes similar in terms of garnering some support. PP and the CPC has shifted to the right to try and recapture that vote from the PPC.

If the CIC can do something similar for the middle, either by attracting enough votes or by making the main parties shift back to the Center as a result then I might have a place to park my vote.
Yes, politics aside.

Interesting. That's the first I'd heard of them. They merit looking into. Thanks.

🍻

I first noticed them last year. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/centre-ice-conservatives-poilievre-analysis-wherry-1.6549953

Since then, they seem to have exchanged the "Conservatives" in their title for "Canadians". Probably sells better, but still "centre-right".

Apr 28, 2022

Welcome to Centre Ice Conservatives.

Back