• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few question regarding OMDs (original med docs)

NJL

Inactive
Reaction score
I reapplied back in Feb07 after making the mistake of VRing in Sept06 during BMQ(reg) in St. Jean... I'm told by my file manager that everything is done (VFS/PLAR,etc) except for they're still waiting on my OMDs from St. Jean.. they were requested in the middle of March (3+ months ago).. 3 months to retrieve a file seems like a long time. I call my file manager regularly for updates, but lately not much has changed.
How long do OMDs generally take(for a person in my situation)? How much longer should I expect to wait?
Any way to speed the retrieval process up? Probably not, but figured I'd ask any ways.

Waiting for a call for the interview/med checkup date can be frustrating but it'll be worth it in the long run... At least this will probably be the longest wait for the entire recruitment process.. I'm confident about passing the interview/medical, then my job offer should follow shortly after..then it's a wait till BMQ. 

I don't want to discourage you but I have a friend who has been waiting his OMD's for for five or six months already.  He has expressed the same frustration and even offered to fly back to his reserve unit and get the files himself (this idea was not well received).

I called my CFRC's bookings clerk on thursday and asked him about my OMDs.. he said he's surprised it's taken this long, and that he was gonna email st jean to try and find out more info... if he didn't hear anything by today(fri) he'd give them a call... so hopefully he'll get to the bottom of it.. told me to call him back either today or tuesday.

Well I called the bookings clerk today and it turns out the request (via email) for my OMDS was being sent to people that no longer work at the CFLRS... and the request wasn't getting to the people that actually work there now... The request was resent to the proper people (fingers crossed lol) last week I'm told that it should take a couple weeks.. my interview/medical is now scheduled for July 14... relieved and glad I keep getting updates or I could've been waiting alot longer lol.

Congrats on getting to this point.  Dealing with previous service adds a weird dimension to the whole process.  If you persevere, you will find a happy ending.

Thanks Port Hope... for me VRing was a big mistake and I've learned my lesson.

I finished my contract in May of 2006, obtained a derogation from recruiting station Quebec on 17 July 2006 and reapplied before the 6 months standard wait time, in tierms of time elapsed and docs needed I had the same problem. Its July 5th today and in a few days it will have been a full year of waiting (granted my case is special, considering they lost files, shut a program down when I was on the waiting list etc...) but don't despair!

OMDs are usually kept at the unit you served with for about two years (in your case St-Jean medical) and then they are usually transfered to the Defense Archives in Ottawa. Gettings those docs is as much an efficiency factor from the recruiting station as it is from the unit, and St-Jean is a busy one at that! Glad you decided to try it again even after a VR...go get em!  :cdn:

Back