• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A little help. (personal, no jokes)

H

Huggy

This is going to make me seem like a baby :crybaby: BUT.

What I have is a messy situation to which I'm not sure how to deal with, I know that personly I would like to enlist in the army but all things given there is more to it.

I have writen a 3 page typed letter to my parents to which I have gone over 50 times and redone it 5 times. It outlines my situation as I see it, and explaines my hart felt feels in what I'm going through. I was going to ask people here to give me their input on the letter by posting it.
Where would this be posted?  (personal stories, or add it onto this one)

I'd say just add it to this one.  Someone will move it if it isn't in the right place.

ok... Here it is...

Its a Long read and I'm sorry about that.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry that I had to write this in a letter, but I didn't know how to sit down and tell you and I am worried about both of you over reacting.  First off let me say that, I love you both and that you both are amazing parents. I have come to a decision in my life that is a huge step and that I know this is not something to take lightly, please keep in mind that I am willing to talk about it and explain my end of things but also I would like both of you to read the remainder of this letter since I cover a lot of detailed information on why I finally arrived to the decision of wanting to enlist in the Canadian Forces.
This is something that I have looked into and thought about since high school graduation. I only came to the final decision of bring this up now do to me being a huge disappointment in not achieving passing marks. I know that both of you have been extremely supportive with me going back to Mohawk for a second time and for this I'm thankful but in light of my failing marks I feel not only incredible depressed but less then adequate to move on at college. I spent countless hours working at assignments, lab reports and studying and all my effort was not worth a damn. I wanted so badly to please you dad and nothing would have made me happier then to come home and say that I passed everything. Unfortunately for me life does nothing but kick me while I'm down, so I'm at a point now where I don't want to be a burden to either of you and enlisting will not only let me move on with my life but also let you move on with yours and as the remainder of this letter will point out, my life has been nothing more then a series of unfortunate events. 
As you both well know I have never been one for school, academics have always been something that I fear for a lot of reason, failing, teachers, cost, time just to name a few, plus I am not a fan of Mohawk and there business like attitude. All things given I realize that this is not the best time to inform you of this, with one semester left to go of a course that is poorly setup and I consider to be hell. I would like to take this time to point many things out; I guess it would be best to start from high school graduation. When I was close to being done high school and I had to make a choose of what I was going to do next, I did this knowing that University was not something for me, I just wasn't smart enough to be accepted nor make it through. I figured that the only options that were open to me were that of the military or college.  At the time I didn't know how to bring the subject up of the military and I wasn't sure of how to find any detailed information so I put that off to the side and reluctantly looked at the college catalogs. I read through a lot of different colleges and as far as courses went I was interested in computers, I was not jumping on any band wagon, I didn't care what the market dictated all I was thinking was that I had to get an education and that I was good at and enjoyed computers as well as being interested and willing to learn more about them.  In my first semester of computer I considered myself to be an eager young student in a good college with a lot to look forward to. As the course progressed, I worked hard and tried my best to keep on top of the work; yes I had a great deal of setbacks. I failed, English, Math, and a Unix class, this was most upsetting to me and I dealt with it the best way I knew how, I did push up until I couldn't feel my arms and bottled up any emotions left over. What I found most surprising was how the both of you reacted to my missed classes, and letter from the school, at least in front of me. Dad you basic said, as long as I finish the course, that there is no shame in failing anything. That was it, after that you left me along to pick up classes at night school while in full time day school nothing said. Mom you didn't say much at all you would check in to make sure everything was going well and that I was fine and that was it.  To me this was all I needed to move on, a little wisdom and little helping hand, so I pressed on and picked up all my missed classes.  When I graduated from computer networking, I honestly couldn't remember the last time I was as happy, not only for completing the course but for finally getting out of Mohawk and becoming an active member of the working force, so I hoped. At this point I updated my resume and started looking for work, wasting no time. I was not only more then happy being out selling myself, meeting new people and potential employers but I could wake up in the morning with pleasant thoughts, which I haven't been able to do for along time. I graduated in the beginning of February 2003 and a approximately a couple week after that I heard nothing but, â Å“Why not go back to school and take something in the trades, you'll always have work.â ? Every day this subject came up and every day that I waited for a phone call from a resume I passed out, just so I could have good news to tell you when you came home from work. I waited and nothing happed, I passed more out and waited only to keep hearing the same thing, â Å“Why not go back to school, and become an electrician like your dad.â ? The more I heard this, the more I realized that you were right, I wasn't going to get a well paying job in the field that I enjoyed, that the only thing left for me to do was to bring up the military but again the words were not there and the background information was still being compiled. So I sat in my room and became extremely depressed, thinking back there was more to that bout of depression then just thinking of heading back to that damn college. It was a combination of everything that happened or didn't happen to that point. Things like taking 3 years to do a 2-year course, not finding a job which allowed me to move on with my life, being 23 and not having a girlfriend at any point in my life, being 23 and still being supported by my parents and a big one was trying out for the Binbrook volunteer fire department, twice and both time not getting past the first stage. I personally found that hard to take, Dan and I worked together reading what ever we could find and studying everything we found again I worked hard and failed, I guess I should have learned my lesson but I tried again. Studying and working with Dan, this time knowing what kind of question will show up, and again failed. Once again there I was looking at the damn college catalogs, this was something that I didn't what to do but I didn't see much of a chose. The both of you were completely supportive, to which I am grateful for. I was in a unique situation where I was able to continue my education, live with my parents, and be 100% supported by my parents, and not every person has that kind of opportunity. Along with this opportunity came a lot of responsibility to which I took on with a both mind and body, unfortunately the body was weak, out shape and the mind was tired as well as burned out. I knew this was no excuse so I pressed on taking this opportunity, hoping for a new and better experience at Mohawk. Again was this something that I wanted to do? Yes and no a complicated answer for a simply question. Every day dad you brought the subject up of becoming an electrician, and tried explaining to me how it would be in my best interest, while you and mom were still working and I had no bills or commitments. You spoke about it with such enthusiasm and I pay attention to what you said and it made sense. When I tried rationalizing it, I came up with three things. One was the fact that I had the opportunity; the second was that it was only another two-year course, and the third was that I have been working with and around hydro from a young age so how hard can it be. So I did it, I was not happy about it, at all, but you were dad, which took some of my miserable-ness away but ultimately I was the one who had to sit in the classes and do all stupid and pointless work. This brings us to the somewhat present times of the first semester Electro Tech course.  When I start the course I fixed my attitude and went in with a smile and thinking positively, that lasted till about the end of the first semester when the big upset came, I once again failed math. Was I surprised, no but for some strange reason you were dad and you did nothing but give me a hard time at it. I passed everything I even had an A and A+ in that semester, I was happy about that but it didn't seem to madder to you, you were stuck on the damn math. That's when my eyes opened and realized that this was going to be extremely exhausting not only at school but also at home. I really didn't know what to think of you dad when never we went out somewhere, ham radio places or you meet someone you knew, it went two ways the introduction of this is my son Darrell he's going to Mohawk studying to be an electrician like his dad, said with a smile, and the unforgettable reply to the question of, 41years way are not retired? I still have a son in school.  I'm not only your hopeful electrician but also your unfortunate excuse for not living your life.  Everyday the pressure gets me, now and then for the past two semesters at lest, I'll wake up and wonder how fast I would have to drive the car over the escarpment to break through he guard rails.  I do not like thinking these things but I also hate disappointing you and mom by once again failing and having you put everything in your lives on hold just because your son is a dumb ass.  You shouldn't have to put up with me nor support me when I'm 23years old and already have been through college once, even I know your only supposed to get one kick at the can. Dad if you want to retire go for it, you have paid your dues twice over and I don't want to keep you from anything, same with you mom. I know one of the things both of you have told me over the years, is that you want to see Christine and myself succeed. Christine is on her way to becoming a teacher and she hasn't had an easy go but I have been at Mohawk five years straight with no end till 2006, maybe.
This letter is how I truly feel and I know that both of you have put a lot of money into me going to college and I do plan on paying you back. I have not enlisted yet but I have done a lot of research and I do know the steps to take to make this happen. I also realize that it will be a lot of work once I'm there, I feel that this is what I need physical work along side with mental work and structure. I have looked at all my options and as far a military career goes I have been looking at Electrical Line Technician 052. Once I do enlist, I still have testing to do which means that nothing is in stone but I do want both of you to know how I feel, that this has in no way anything to do with either of you, and I am truly sorry.
I do except that there is a lot going through your minds at this point and that both of you would have a lot of questions and concerns. I have enclosed just some of the research I have done in hopes that this will answer some of your questions.  Once both of you have gathered your thoughts and have settled down. I am open to any discussion and any options that you see open but once people start to argue, I'm no longer listening. Remember that this is not easy for me either; I'm the one who end ups going through what ever the final decisions is.

With Love,

Wow.. first suggestion - paragraphs. :)

I personally think it is hard for any of us to really comment on a personal letter between yourself and your parents... Only you really know what you think, and their worries and your relationship with them.

The best advice I can give you is to consider your reasons, make a decision based on the best information available, suck it  up, ruck on...  :)

Also...  one note I do see, others have mentioned before... the forces isn't about avoiding academics.... you will spend time learning, reading, writing and doing tests.... it may not be based on traditional academic topics.. but there is plenty you will learn, and not all of it is necessarily practical....  (Just so you are ready to expect that first test in BMQ)

Cheers, and good luck.

Why not just tell them that you are joining the army.

Its not an easy thing to do but you gotta break the ice sometime.

Its probably better just to tell them in person because they are gonna want to speak to you about it after they read the letter anyways.

The whole process of joining takes a few months so you are gonna have to deal with the situation especialy if you live in the same house.

Huggy,

While I think all of us have gone through tough times (you should see my academic record   ::)), I am not sure it's a good idea to post such an intensely personal letter like that on the board - none of us are really in a position to give you that kind of advice. As for telling your parents about a decision to sign up I think that's rather different in terms of tone and content.   There have been a few posters on this board who have had trouble with parents who didn't want their children in the military - you may want look to it up on previous threads.

PS I do agree that it's a very courageous post

I admire the poster's bravery for letting us see this intensely personal letter, and indeed, into his very heart.  I suspect bravery like that will serve him well in the Forces.  Good luck.

I agree with Michael.  Your letter is fantastic and I guarantee your mother will be emotional after reading it, probably your father as well.  If they are upset about you wanting to join they can't remain upset forever, and things will get better.

And yes, add a few paragraph breaks. Think more whitespace, easier on the eyes.  Good luck.

First off, all parents are different so I don't know how yours would react. But why not just go down and write the aptitude test? What harm would that do? You won't be going behind their back, just checking to see if there is a possibility of getting into the Canadian Forces kind of like attending a school open house.

If you pass then you can bring home a list of occupations that you are suitable for and it will open a discussion with your parents so they can get involved in the process. If you don't pass then you can decide what you want to do next, either keeping studying and try again or decide that the CF isn't for you.

Anyways, that's my opinion but as I said about all parents react differently.

Thank you ever so much for the words of advice. It all means a lot.
As for the paragraphs, I do have set up in paragraphs its just the way it was copied and pasted.

To address some points.
Ghost:
â Å“Why not just tell them that you are joining the army.
Its not an easy thing to do but you gotta break the ice sometimeâ ?

Your right. But its not all that easy for me.  For me to walk up to the old man and say â Å“I'm enlisting in the army!â ? well..... history has shown me that he don't take things that easy. He is 61 and has been working as an Electrician for about 41 years, I'm 23 and have been going to college for 5 years. To him is just like me going up and saying â Å“I give up, I'm taking the easy way outâ ? and then kicking him in the teeth.  To me this is the more difficult way out and a way bigger commitment then paying tuition.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just fill the paper work I have out and leave it in a place he will easily see it, so he can start the conversation but that sure a shoot'n wouldn't give me a chance to get a word in, it would be a one side conversation.

Meridian:
â Å“Also...  one note I do see, others have mentioned before... the forces isn't about avoiding academics.... you will spend time learning, reading, writing and doing tests.... it may not be based on traditional academic topics.. but there is plenty you will learn, and not all of it is necessarily practical....   (Just so you are ready to expect that first test in BMQ)

I'm not avoiding academics its more like, I'm trying to move on with my life before I find myself being 30 and still in college and introducing myself to people as a, career student, still asking mom and dad for cash to pick up that class I missed by 10%.  Also and I don't really believe this but from the way dad talks about it he's holding off his retirement till I'm done school. So I'm kinda sick of having that over my head so I'm letting him move on with his life.
Please keep in mind that again this is something that I personally feel I can do and want to do. So it's in no way dodging anything it just has its sub-reasons.

Mdh:
I am not sure it's a good idea to post such an intensely personal letter like that on the board - none of us are really in a position to give you that kind of advice

I had nowhere else to place it or to get input, sorry.
Some time all one needs is a little fragment of advice from people who have either been in a somewhat similar predicament or even just someone to point out a different way of looking at the situation that maybe one hasn't seen. It don't take much to help, just a different point of view and little train of thought.  

Shaynelle:
I agree with Michael.  Your letter is fantastic and I guarantee your mother will be emotional after reading it, probably your father as well.  If they are upset about you wanting to join they can't remain upset forever, and things will get better.

Thanks.
Well that is true, I guess time does heal.  The thing is I would feel better and I would think do better if I had the support of family. + a little thing that I never said.
My sister ran off and go married, in her 2 year at University, with out my parents knowing or me for that madder, my dad took about 3 years I think just to really get over it and even to this day he still gets upset over it now and then. So...

Ab00013:
First off, all parents are different so I don't know how yours would react. But why not just go down and write the aptitude test? What harm would that do? You won't be going behind their back, just checking to see if there is a possibility of getting into the Canadian Forces kind of like attending a school open house.

Good idea.
Your right, I might just do that. thanks.

Again Thank you all....
Please any feels on this PM or just post 'em.  :-\

I agree; go do the aptitude test, and then take it from there.

I commend you for your courage to post such a personal letter, and I understand how you feel about needing advice about your situation. I didn't go through what you have been through, but I definitely had a hard time telling my mom about my choice to apply for the CF. I'll give you the same advice that she gave me; 
The forces will be one of the hardest things that you've ever had to go through, and you have to be committed to sticking with it. Make sure you do some serious soul searching before you sign up, because if this is a quick fix, it will be the worst 3 years of your life.

Oh, and if you do apply, don't quit school. You'll be waiting a while.

Huggy

Your personal letter to your folks took me back 20 years to a time when I had finally graduated from High school, it took me an extra year.  I had no idea what the future held for me except I was not going on to post secondary education, even if the opportunity was there. 

I ran away and joined the Army.  Back then it only took a month to do the processing because I had chosen a distressed trade.  I called my Mother two weeks into basic, she was relieved to finally hear that I was alright, but dissappointed that I had chosen to be a "bum in the army." 

Like I said, that was 20 years ago, in that time I have found my wife, we are still married, I have two children, four tours overseas and have changed from a kid who lacked self confidence and direction to a career soldier.  I can lead a section of soldiers or I can stand in front of an auditorium of 500 high school kids and sell the CF.  It didn't take long for my parents to see the change in me, I became a man who walked with my head up, I took responsibility for my actions and I was confident in everything that I did.  Today, they are proud of me and the decisions I made.

I am not suggesting that you run away and join the CF, but if you are truly interested in the CF, it can be a great career.  Do the test, if you don't make it, take a math course and try again.  Keep trying and don't quit.

Thank you all for the words of advice. It all means alot

at this point I'm still doing alot of reading and asking alot of questions to the people at the Recu. Office. as well as any connection I man have. its not an easy thing.

Huggy,

No one will know your situation or your parents better than you. If you feel this is the best course of action at this point in your life, then you should make it, however if you're doing it out of an act of desparation because you feel you can't get a job elsewhere, then you might end up being miserable in the army, and should consider a different path.

The only advice I can give is that you do talk to your parents before you've signed up. If you leave without letting them know, or only provide the letter for them once it's too late to go back, you may live to regret it. Your parents may try to talk you out of it, or they may be supportive of you, but take the time to sit down with them before making any rash decisions. If you burn bridges with your family, then the army can be a very lonely place. Go to your parents with all the information you're able to get from the recruiting office. Tell them about the opportunities for advancement, the post-secondary education opportunities, and the chance for travel. I'm sure they're only looking out for your welfare, and if you can convince them that you would be happy and successful in the army, then they will have a much easier time letting your go.

My two cents, take them for what they're worht.

...I think your folks would be well served to read something like this very thread, if they're worried about you joining the forces.   Look at the positive replies, solid advice, and unbiased encouragement you've received, in response to a very personal and emotional   statement.   This goes to show you the type of people you would be serving with - your parents should be proud you are considering joining the ranks of such a fine group of people.  

Huggy, I can sympathize with your situation somewhat, I had fininshed my schooling and then decided without a doubt that the CF was for me. My mother did not take this well and neither did my father but both came around when they had seen what it meant to me. Whatever you do make sure this decision to enlist is not a passing feeling and always talk to your folks about any info you recieve from the CFRC. I can tell you the tears dry up the day you swear in and the area is filled with pride. As for working with the finest people in Canada, if it was easy to get in everyone would be doing it!

My two cents worth.........

Spence

Huggy,

From what I understand, you only have one semester left to graduate?  If this is the case, do yourself a favour and finish it!!!  This is probably what every recruiter will tell you.  And during that lousy last semester, at least you will have something to look for.  Also, this will look really good on your application form!!!

As far as the parental issue goes, I think that your parent just need some military "education".  If you dad is in his 60s, he probably sees the military as either :

a) some type of a reform institution where they send problem kids
b) a place where people die at wars.

Now a day, the CF is neither.  Don't get me wrong, you will still be a soldier and be put in harms way, but it is not WWII or Korea anymore.  Being in the CF really is an honnest way to make a living.

At the same time, I will agree with most of the other posters, in that learning will not stop as you sign on the dotted line.  I probably spend more time training, studying and spending time away on courses than I spend "at work"; so don't come in with false expectations.

If you really want to be in the Forces, man go for it.  The worst that will happen might be your parents "dissapointed" for a while, but when they will see you move on, enjoy your life and job, I am sure that their dissapointement will turn into joy...

All in all, I want to wish you good luck.

Cheers!

Huiggy,

when I joined the CF, my father was supported because he just wanted  me to work, but my mother was strongly opposed and still is to this day.As somebody else stated, she has sort of a "bum in the army" complex going on.Its been the source of many a heated argument.Im happy that I enlisted, and ive found it to be a very rewarding job, and one taht builds alot of character.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you, and do with your life what you wish, not what everyone else thinks you should do.

" I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody "

:salute: :cdn:

Its a good letter, and like everyone else I comend you on your courage for posting it here.  I would suggest that you take some of that courage and sit your parents down and try to have an open and frank discussion with them.  Chances are it may get fairly heated, but given enough time I'm sure your parents will accept your decision.  Just make sure that this is what you want to do...

And if you're going to give that letter to your parents I'd suggest you proof it a little more.  I noticed in several places you used the there when you should have used 'their'.  Its a good letter, just has a few of those common mistakes. 
Also while you're proofing it it helps to read the letter aloud, its a nifty little trick to find sentences that just don't work (be it because of flow, poor wording etc).
[
Good luck with your future endeavours.

- Sheerin

Your courage to post your letter is a testament to your character. I am in the army reserves on BMQ and I would be honoured to serve with you. By the way I am married and joined when I was 34 and had to tell my WIFE and JOB my plans. I know how you feel. Hang in there.

Back