• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A problem

Canuck_25

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, ill explain my situation so maby i can receive knowledgeable advice.

Well, im interested in the reserves for military experience. I would like to use the reserves as a "stepping stone" to regular force. My ambition is to become a Infantry officer in the regular force. My original plan was to apply to the Rocky Mountain Rangers for the position of Infantry officer in the fall. I would attend university while in the reserves. After 1 or 2 years in university, i would apply to RMC or ROTP. The idea was that having military experience on my application would make me more competative than someone who is in grade 12. Now, since the Rocky Mountain Rangers conduct basic training only in the summer, this creates a difficulty. Since i wont be able to university in July, this has me applying without proof of future attendance to univeristy. Now, since my knowledge is limited, i have thought of 3 options:

I was told i wasnt competitive for RMC or ROTP at the moment since I do not have Math 12 or French 12, the classes i do have are as follows:

-English 12
-Law 12
-History 12
-Peer tutoring 12
-English literature 12
-Comparative Civilizations 12
-Chemistry 12

I plan on taking Math 12 and French 12 equivalent courses in university so i can be competative for when i apply to RMC or ROTP.

Now based on my knowledge, i have 3 options

- If it is possible to enter training for Infantry officer without verification of registration to university, then i will take the opportunity and train in Kamloops
- I could join as a NCM, complete the courses required (math and french) in university, then apply to ROTP or RMC
- Wait a year, and apply for training next summer (drawback - I would lose 1 full year)

Advice would be recieved with all arms open, any suggestions would be great!

Canuck_25 said:
Wow, no response!

My advice is join as an NCM, get the courses you need then apply for ROTP.  If RMC is what you want, don't waste your time and money going to a civi university. If being an officer is what you want and reserve unit schedule is a problem that is.

My opinion only so don't try to shoot me if you use it and it doesn't work out !

aesop081 said:
If being an officer is what you want and reserve unit schedule is a problem that is.

Well, i assumed the university schedule and my duties as an officer shouldnt come into conflict too much.

You would be competitive as an ROTP Junior.

Especially if you would be competitive as a Reserve Entry Officer, ie you display the requisite leadership aptitude/experience, etc.. the key thing is going to come down to education (as it generally does for officers enrolling).

Keep in mind ROTP Junior is like a frat party extension of high school within the confines of the military. (I know, I was there). Basically its a 5 year edumacation instead of 4 and the first year is not in Kingston.

But it is excellent if y ou want to learn french and avoid SLT.

ROTP  is actually divided into ROTP JR and ROTP SR...  if you go straight to Kingston you are SR.

There is ~150 spots at the old CMR (Campus Fort St Jean now) in St Jean (not the same place as the Mega, where BMQ/IAP is housed for RegF).

Your education is basically a Pre-University Year, through CEGEP (Quebec College system).

Basically for those who the military want to have as officers, but who have had academic issues (or who are from Quebec and do not have Cegep I) they enroll you in a Junior Year.

Talk to a recruiter about it.
You are officially part of RMC, you get a college number, bla bla, the logo is everywhere. but RMC disavows you from the Cadet Wing until you get there in first year (technically 2nd, I suppose) and get through FYOP.

You do some FTX's during the year...  outside of that.. its just like RMC< just a much much much smaller setting.
And parties in MTL. :)

I did talk to my recruiter and he said my chances are low due to the courses im taking currently (no physics 12, French 12 or Math 12.) He said to make myself a competitive candidate, he suggested I attend university for a year then apply.

3 of the 4 recruiters I talked to before I got in did not know about ROTP Junior.

Meridian said:
3 of the 4 recruiters I talked to before I got in did not know about ROTP Junior.

Can you give me a little info about yourself (grades, courses, community involvment, interests, ect.) Did you have Math 12 or Calculus 12? what about French 12? What was your average grade 10, 11 and 12? Is their any specail reason why you were accepted?

Just want to do a little comparison :)

Law 12, eh?  I hope it wasn't Mr. Trkla instructing you.  Or maybe it's been too long since I was a Red Devil.

Haha...

I completed high school in quebec, so I had all the Quebec Grade 11 (Sec V) courses...

As far as competing against all the little Ex-Cadeters who had courses up the ----, at the time of my application I was a supervisor for a large telecommunications company (Not Telus, the other one :) ) and thus had experience in management and leading, plus I was high school football captain, tons of volunteer work, sports, etc.

And in my estimation (and apparently in the interviewers) I had a good interview.

If the recruiter told you you wouldnt be competitive for ROTP Jr... then dont apply until you are competitive, but if he didnt mention anything at all about JR, then forget it.

I think we only ended up with 3 or 4 BC candidates, to be honest...

FYI, I knew people who had applied SR, and because of their rating academically, they were offered JR instead.. so they werent competitive academically for SR, but they were for JR.

Back