• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A special Red Friday treat in Ottawa

niner domestic

Inactive
Reaction score
The CDS has "invited" all serving members of the CF who are in Ottawa to attend a 5km run with him on Friday, June 1, at 1100.  The route will begin at 101 and follow the canal, leading back to Parliament Hill. 

So come on out and cheer for our members and don't forget to wear red. 

(Date corrected. Sorry about the date, I have month end on the brain...lol)

niner domestic said:
The CDS has "invited" all serving members of the CF who are in Ottawa to attend a 5km run with him on Friday, May 31, at 1100.  The route will begin at 101 and follow the canal, leading back to Parliament Hill. 

So come on out and cheer for our members and don't forget to wear red. 

Actually, it's Friday June 1st and the route begins on the bike path next to NDHQ .  Each Group Principal/ECS will have a muster point on the path.  The run/walk begins at noon and it is also open to DND employees. 

Detailed instructions are available through the chain of command at NDHQ.

I'll be there!

Will be there, flying in from Winnipeg for a few other events as well. See you all there.

Can I get a FIN Code for this event? It'll be part of my recruiting gig, and public out reach :)

Awesome, I'll do it.
I'll be the one wearing the red t-shirt. ;)
See you there.

The appropriateness of the military conducting a rally of any sort at the seat of the national government was apparently never discussed.

Groups rally on Parliament Hill to lobby government.  In a democratic state it is wholly inappropriate for the military, whether in uniform or out, to conduct any such demonstration - even if the avowed intent is not to lobby government.

I'm certain that the fine folks at JAG have perused QR&O chapter 19, and have decided that this rally does not fall afoul of QR&O 19.44 ( 8 ).  But it still marks a departure from the norm: that the military should only be present at the seat of government when invited to be there (such as the Changing of the Guard, or ceremonial gun salutes).

As individuals, CF members hold most of the same rights as any other Canadian citizens.  But as a formed group there are additional restrictions; descending en masse on the seat of national government may not be excluded in writing, but is definitely excluded in practice and history.

Rally at the site of the War Museum?  Completely appropriate.  Major's Hill Park?  Certainly.  But not the "force of last resort" rallying at the seat of government.

***Edited to remove smiley that replaced the 8 in the QR&O reference

I am wondering if one of the reasons for having this run is because the CF recognition program event is also at the same time. This is a 4 day event capped with an invite to the House of Commons for 12 CF members from the regular, reserve, rangers and cadets, 3 from each element with one from the rangers, reserve and cadets in attendance. I know there are a number of events scheduled and this is one of them.

Journeyman said:
NDHQ pers doing PT?   ;)

Yep!  That's why I'm going.  I want to see this!!

Rally at the site of the War Museum?  Completely appropriate.  Major's Hill Park?  Certainly.  But not the "force of last resort" rallying at the seat of government.

dapaterson:  I don't see any problem with the rally location.  The stated intent of this event is twofold:  1. To show support for those who support us including (some of ) our elected officials and 2. to highlight the CDSs emphasis on physical fitness in the CF.  Since we are rallying to say "thanks" to those who support us, Parliament Hill seems like an apporpriate place to thank Canada as a whole.

Regarding the second aim:  Maybe if some of the NDHQ civvies understand why we need to be fit they will be more understanding in allowing their CF members to do PT during work hours and not insisting that the "make up the time" used for PT by working longer.  There are still "managers" at NDHQ who only see an hour of productivity walking out the door when a member departs for PT.  Maybe if they understand the physical demands of the job and the benefits of fitness, and hear it right from Himself, this mindset can change.

One more thing.  About midday today, the start timing was backed off to 1300 hours.  My guess is to allow those who participate to go home after the event.

See y'all there!

I'd say that was a pretty good turn-out, no?
"5000 people," according to the CDS.
The run was pretty good, too.

It was awesome, I have some pics to post later (after I blurr out the very visible faces of pers) and I even had one pic taken of moi and the big guy! But this one pic says it all...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time, glad to hear about the turnout too Rice. From your photo niner, looks like the weather was beautiful... I'm glad everyone had a great day, in our Nation's Capitol  :cdn:

~Rebecca

Yep, I had a blast.  First time ever that "NDHQ" did PT as a group.

Gen Hillier is an incredibly engaging speaker.
proudnurse said:
From your photo niner, looks like the weather was beautiful...
He even thanked th padre for the good weather.

Hopefully it will become an annual event.

Here's a pic of the Hill...

I loved the reverberation of the 3 Hoorays around the downtown core...it gave me shivers hearing it.

niner domestic said:
I even had one pic taken of moi and the big guy!

I was standing right in front of the steps that The Man (sorry Mike, the "other" Man) was speaking from. Gen. Hillier and the CFWO had a lot of people jump up for pictures.

Vern, I think I spotted you. You weren't wearing red, by chance? :p

Rice said:
I was standing right in front of the steps that The Man (sorry Mike, the "other" Man) was speaking from. Gen. Hillier and the CFWO had a lot of people jump up for pictures.

Vern, I think I spotted you. You weren't wearing red, by chance? :p

The two of us must have been within spitting distance then.

I was the bald middle aged sweaty guy in the red t-shirt. ;D

Back