• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "Why" Dress Thread split from OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

The Camerons issued me with pretty much everything except a skeahn-dhu and mess kit. Never did get the skeahn-dhu and wore my artillery mess kit to the mess dinners for four years much to the heartburn of the regimental senate. I think they all knew though that my tenure with them would end with my call to the bar.

😁
Wait, which Camerons were you with?

WRT the cap, fur, ridiculous . . . as an O/Cdt I was on contact training at CFB Winnipeg in 1974. I lived in the Officers Mess on the west side of the runway and worked on the east side, so twice a day I had to do the walk along the south side of the runway. In the early winter the wind would howl down that runway straight from the North Pole, unimpeded. I can say I was very happy to have a cap, fur, ridiculous to wear instead of my black beret. And no parkas with hoods back then, just the green greatcoat. Other than one forgettable parade in Gagetown, that was the only time I wore this silly hat.

Wait, which Camerons were you with?
Coy Comd of A Coy Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in Winnipeg from 1981-85 (although I was farmed out to Mil Area Prairie over the summers to run HQ Coy in Dundurn and to instruct on the Pre-Militia Staff course for the last two years.)

🍻

Why a northern country could not provide decent cold-weather hats is one of the great mysteries of all time.

Say what you will about this hat, but it’s warm, stylish, and has a rich history in the Canadian military and law enforcement, going at least as far back as the Yukon Field Force. It’s still used by the RCMP and most Canadian game warden agencies.

1622746746088.jpeg

I got mine issued a few years ago, but never had the opportunity to wear it except with mess dress.

II like it and it works and should have been standardized decades ago.

A means of attaching a cap badge to the front would be nice, and perhaps an operational dress version as well - can they grow CADPAT fur?

A means of attaching a cap badge to the front would be nice, and perhaps an operational dress version as well - can they grow CADPAT fur?
Don't give them ideas.

Say what you will about this hat, but it’s warm, stylish, and has a rich history in the Canadian military and law enforcement, going at least as far back as the Yukon Field Force. It’s still used by the RCMP and most Canadian game warden agencies.
We do get issued them. Mostly for DEU below zero, except for the folks up north where I think they can wear them with whatever, below zero.

As I remember, the ear flaps were sewn inside the cap, so that if your cap fit properly, the flaps could not be folded down to cover the ears. Being the Canadian Army, the correct size in sergeant major land sizing protocol was perched on top of one's head, and with the bottom of the cap an inch or two above the ears. And did I mention, we used to replace the buttons for the chin strap with regimental pattern and shine them, as well as spit polishing the chin strap and blocking the body of the cap for stiffness. In other words, we were cold, but oh so sharp.
Yep ... those were the good ol' days! o_O

View attachment 65345

That, the bivvy bag and the metal mug are the three best things the Army ever issued....

View attachment 65345
Really appreciate it in Ottawa winters; suspect it's similarly awesome anywhere it gets below -15, as are the snow pants for the black 'not a parka' heavy weight navy coat. Now if I could just get issued winter gloves that are worth a damn I'd be set.

Got to say, really don't miss the bus commute in Ottawa with COVID. Wearing snow pants, heavy snowmobiling mukluks and a big winter coat because the STO bus may show up within a 5-90 minute window gets old quick.

View attachment 65345

The OPP has issued them since the beginning of time and still do even though they also issue toques. The fur hat is warmer and makes a better pillow. 😁 They used to use their metal hat badge but now it has an integral embroidered badge (they only have to care about one badge). I don't think the RCMP has ever had a badge on theirs.

The only thing I didn't like was the little bow on top. I replaced the tie strings with snap fasteners.

Now if I could just get issued winter gloves that are worth a damn I'd be set.
I found the newer gloves (thicker with black fleecy liner) are better than the older gloves (wool liner). YMMV.

That's it; MAG should be flying with
I'm pretty sure 440 Sqn specifically allows that.

Not just 440...

From the CADOs, Vol 1, 1-006 Operational Dress, Para 5 (f)

5. The following headdress may be worn with RCAF flying clothing:
f. Yukon cap – may be worn with operational dress by members posted to Yellowknife, Goose Bay and JTF North during winter season.

So if you're only on TD to Goose Bay in January, you're not allowed to wear it?

Or, if you're posted to Yellowknife and on TD to Hickam AFB in February...

That's it; MAG should be flying with

Not just 440...

From the CADOs, Vol 1, 1-006 Operational Dress, Para 5 (f)

5. The following headdress may be worn with RCAF flying clothing:
f. Yukon cap – may be worn with operational dress by members posted to Yellowknife, Goose Bay and JTF North during winter season.
Best hat, ever.

I bought a second one and put my old one in my winter survival gear. We tested them in the high Arctic on survival training. Far and away warmer and more comfortable than any other issue hat.

FWIW, the white ”empire strikes back” hat was the worst. It froze up and reduced your ability to hear and see- all bad things in polar bear country…

Back