• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "Why" Dress Thread split from OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

Nope. You said:

What do you think will happen if this "dress regs aren't important" stuff goes too far?
The troops will be plotting to kidnap the governor of Michigan, obviously. From loosened enforcement of dress regs it's basically walk out the door, turn left, third door down the hall on your right and you're at outright seditious conspiracy.

Or....if you were being reasonable, you ease up on the drama and realize that the examples used were for "the standard is, there is no standard" for dress".

Not where you went. I thought the subj was 'dress', not 'conspiracy'...I thought the context that existed was sufficient.

Last edited:
The troops will be plotting to kidnap the governor of Michigan, obviously. From loosened enforcement of dress regs it's basically walk out the door, turn left, third door down the hall on your right and you're at outright seditious conspiracy.

So we're assuming it's 31 CBG (which shares the largest land border with Michigan of any CAF formation) that will go rogue?

That's... not an entirely unreasonable assumption.

Or....if you were being reasonable, you ease up on the drama and realize that the examples used were for "the standard is, there is no standard" for dress".

Not where you went. 'Cause no one is talking about "conspiracy" stuff...except you. I did, however, link to the bigger issue I've see, based on 32 years of changes; lower discipline and obedience in the CAF. I hope we're not going to start arguing that THOSE aren't important in a nations' Armed Forces....
Dude, you literally linked to a story about a hard right militia conspiracy to kidnap the governor of Michigan on a thread about dress and deportment, and asked "What do you think will happen if this "dress regs aren't important" stuff goes too far?" While I don't think for a second you intended it to be taken seriously in that manner, it was still a bit of a reductio ad absurdum on your part.

Now that you've clarified a bit more, I think I understand that you were referring more to the physical appearance of a rag-tag militia, but without you making that explicitly clear, it seemed a bit of hyperbolic fear mongering was at play. It was a bit silly, and I'm not sure you yet realize it was a bit silly.

Ok...I'll take the hit. I should have posted the pics, not the links only...or at least a short sentence for context.

Now that you've clarified a bit more, I think I understand that you were referring more to the physical appearance of a rag-tag militia, but without you making that explicitly clear, it seemed a bit of hyperbolic fear mongering was at play. It was a bit silly, and I'm not sure you yet realize it was a bit silly.

Dude, I'm in the room :)

Lol. I was wondering as well but the pics do make sense. The article not as much.

Ya...I shouldn't post in a 'dress' thread when I'm reading "RFN launching wpns" threads.
james corden oops GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Nope. You said:

What do you think will happen if this "dress regs aren't important" stuff goes too far?

People not following, not enforcing dress regs...why does it irk me? Not because of the dress regs so much...what REALLY grinds me is the lack of basic obedience, giving the middle finger to the basic leadership idea of "leading by example"...especially when it is in black and white that is part of any CAF members duties...including GOFO and Senior Officers.

THAT...is really the bigger issue, in the CAF ; an open lack of discipline and obedience...pony tails and earrings are minor.
I sorta get your point. I am a 60 yr old Officer. I shine my shoes, press my uniform, and have haircuts religiously. I maintain the CAF standard, as varied as it is. I also like beer, so I will never be featured in a recruiting poster. My six pack from my twenties has evolved into a keg. I am also pretty good at my job, appearance be damned.

My point was that we don't need to be all Dolph Lundgren lookalikes, with impeccably tailored uniforms from "A Few Good Men" to be effective. As I stated earlier, some of the best soldiers I have met (and I assume sailors, and AF pers) don't fit that profile, but they do get the really important shit done, and at the end of the day, that is what I expect from them.

I sorta get your point. I am a 60 yr old Officer. I shine my shoes, press my uniform, and have haircuts religiously. I maintain the CAF standard, as varied as it is. I also like beer, so I will never be featured in a recruiting poster. My six pack from my twenties has evolved into a keg. I am also pretty good at my job, appearance be damned.

My point was that we don't need to be all Dolph Lundgren lookalikes, with impeccably tailored uniforms from "A Few Good Men" to be effective. As I stated earlier, some of the best soldiers I have met (and I assume sailors, and AF pers) don't fit that profile, but they do get the really important shit done, and at the end of the day, that is what I expect from them.

"You can always tell an old soldier by the inside of his holsters and cartridge boxes. The young ones carry pistols and cartridges; the old ones, grub."

- George Bernard Shaw

"You can always tell an old soldier by the inside of his holsters and cartridge boxes. The young ones carry pistols and cartridges; the old ones, grub."

- George Bernard Shaw
I'm pretty sure that the magazine pouches tailored into our old combat shirts and jackets were specifically designed for beer cans. Field tests confirmed that. The side pockets were also suitable for broetchen and bockwurst. Again, field tested and confirmed.

😉

I'm pretty sure that the magazine pouches tailored into our old combat shirts and jackets were specifically designed for beer cans. Field tests confirmed that. The side pockets were also suitable for broetchen and bockwurst. Again, field tested and confirmed.

😉
I wore them as OpFor and used them for magazines once. I realized very quickly that the mags like to fall out of those pockets. Never again.

I remember many years ago that the different pieces of winter kit were identified by the number of beers they could old. Also, apparently you can fit two tall boys and a subway footlong inside if a Carl Gustaf.

I'm pretty sure that the magazine pouches tailored into our old combat shirts and jackets were specifically designed for beer cans.

😉

One can fit a lot of beer cans or bottles into a flying suit as well, but the pair in each lower leg pocket will leak when one sits down comfortably if they are open.

Agree, and I was never (that I know of) speaking to the "poster person look"...I'm not an image used in recruiting materials, either.

Attended (virtually) a WComd/WCWO townhall today; one of the topics/question brought up was dress regs, specifically if and when the CAF will be moving to dress regs that aren't gender-based. The short answer was "it is being looked at, and you'll know when we know".

There's a Div Comd/Div CWO virtual townhall tomorrow (for our communities, SAR and LRP) and I'd not be surprised if the question is asked there was well.

Agree, and I was never (that I know of) speaking to the "poster person look"...I'm not an image used in recruiting materials, either.

Attended (virtually) a WComd/WCWO townhall today; one of the topics/question brought up was dress regs, specifically if and when the CAF will be moving to dress regs that aren't gender-based. The short answer was "it is being looked at, and you'll know when we know".

There's a Div Comd/Div CWO virtual townhall tomorrow (for our communities, SAR and LRP) and I'd not be surprised if the question is asked there was well.

Pfffftttt.... we Scottish Regiments have been setting the standard for centuries, of course.

Get with the prrrrrogram lads and lassies!

homer simpson kilt GIF

Pfffftttt.... we Scottish Regiments have been setting the standard for centuries, of course.

Get with the prrrrrogram lads and lassies!

homer simpson kilt GIF
I don't know about your Scottish Regiment but in mine back in the early eighties--when we had no female infantryman--the only females in the regiment who were clerks and loggies wore CF pantsuits on parade while all us men wore kilts. Oh the irony!

:giggle:

Back