• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Work in Progress (Advice Welcome)

ktiger

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name's Kristen, I'm an aspiring military pilot. While I've been interested in being a military pilot for a long time, I never really told anybody because I thought my parents wouldn't approve. I'm over that now, but I missed out on air cadets and similar opportunities.

Hearing how competitive the pilot program is, I'm currently working on making up for my lost experience, and becoming an ideal candidate for the program. I see myself at somewhat of a disadvantage due to my health history. I was diagnosed with depression in the past, and am on medication for it, I've been told the safe process of getting off the medication will take me about 3 years, so I have some time since my local medical officer told me I couldn't apply until I was a year off the medication. On top of that I have hypothyroidism and post nasal drip (thought to be asthma at first), but those aren't as much of a concern right now.

With the coming 4 years I plan to take Physics 30 and Math 31, hopefully getting high 80s in  both, I've been trying to find a good school in my area with extra curricular activities, and good teachers. After that I'll spend my time getting a couple technical degrees for fun, and as a backup (probably biomedical engineering technology and animal health technology), as well as volunteering at habitat for humanity (and some animal rescues), getting it top physical condition (including playing sports), and I might try some flight school in my area. I'm trying to do as much as possible to be accepted as a pilot (with medical officer and military police as my 2nd and 3rd choices).

I'm hoping to join the military as soon as I'm able, I really look up to the men and women of the CF.

In the meantime I thought I may as well spend this time applying advice I've been giving to help me reach my goals. If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
I also have a few concerns you guys might be able to help me with...
-If possible I'd like to learn some basics (mostly in drill) before basic training to get a leg up, if anyone knows a resource for this, that would be great.
-I've been unable to get a general point of reference for the school grades required to be competitive applying as a pilot, if anyone has a general idea of the numbers I'd like to know.
-Finally if anyone has some advice for my situation, to tips on preparing I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your time!

ktiger said:
-If possible I'd like to learn some basics (mostly in drill) before basic training to get a leg up, if anyone knows a resource for this, that would be great.

Don't bother. Basic training is just that, they start you at the very basic level. Even former cadets that may have been on drill teams learn everything all over again. Spend that time instead volunteering in your community and making yourself a better candidate.

Makes sense, thanks! I'm hoping to do some work for habitat for humanity, I'm still looking for more opportunities though (I'll also be volunteering at a church and  vet clinic for other reasons).

ktiger said:
My name's Kristen, I'm an aspiring military pilot.

ktiger said:
I was diagnosed with depression in the past, and am on medication for it, I've been told the safe process of getting off the medication will take me about 3 years, so I have some time since my local medical officer told me I couldn't apply until I was a year off the medication.

In case you have not yet seen them, there are a couple of discussions you may wish to follow.

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0/nowap.html

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13192.0

You mentioned your parents. That seems to be resolved. But, in case you are interested...

How to get family on board
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13678.0.html

From what I have read in these forums so far play team sports (to show teamwork capabilities) as well as do something that will show that you have some leadership skills.

P.S. Exercising (proper exercising, when you actually push yourself to your limits) is the best anti-depressant out there, 10 x more effective than any anti-depressant.
With exercising you will kill 2 rabbits, be in better physical shape and get off anti-depressants quicker (note I am no doctor, consult your doctor for these but I am pretty sure it will help)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. Currently looking for more places to volunteer in my community, as well as a sport I can play with my limited experience. There's not many options for team sports in my area for women, I can play floor hockey during the summer, but I'm having trouble finding anything else.

Edit: Would you guys happen to know what kind of marks I need to be competitive? If just the hockey and Habitat for Humanity is good enough, or if I should drive to the city for more sports, and volunteer opportunities. Am I at a big disadvantage not being in air cadets as a kid?
I'm going to do as much as possible either way, I just want to know how realistic this may be for me.

I'm also considering getting my private license first if that would help, it's just a bit expensive.
Security training and first aid are other things I'm looking into, on top of Kung-Fu and Jujitsu.

Reading through the other forum topics right now.

ktiger said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. Currently looking for more places to volunteer in my community, as well as a sport I can play with my limited experience. There's not many options for team sports in my area for women, I can play floor hockey during the summer, but I'm having trouble finding anything else.

Edit: Would you guys happen to know what kind of marks I need to be competitive? If just the hockey and Habitat for Humanity is good enough, or if I should drive to the city for more sports, and volunteer opportunities. Am I at a big disadvantage not being in air cadets as a kid?
I'm going to do as much as possible either way, I just want to know how realistic this may be for me.

I'm also considering getting my private license first if that would help, it's just a bit expensive.
Security training and first aid are other things I'm looking into, on top of Kung-Fu and Jujitsu.

Reading through the other forum topics right now.

Its more about your approach and the principal you show. How much of one thing you did and how hard you did it is not the most important thing IMO. The idea is you should just try to do something that makes you a better person and also if its relevant to the trade you applied than that's another plus.

Have you tried Lacrosse? Canada's national sport, good teamwork sport, plus I know that there are a lot of female Lacrosse clubs in Canada.

If you live in Toronto I can recommend a couple of good places you can try applying for volunteering experience.

I actually live in Alberta. I  actually like lacrosse, and have all the equipment, but  I have barely played it so it's hard to sell myself to a team, I'm going to try and look into a team in the city though.

I'm going to put all I can into this, I hope it's worth it and I'm accepted.

ktiger said:

If you want to get your private pilot's licence, get your private pilot's licence. Don't expect that to help you, though. It may, or it may not. It is only worth the expense if you want it for personal reasons. If you don't, I'd advise you to spend the money on something more useful.

Hey guys, one last question.

I've been searching the forums but I haven't found a clear answer; is air cadets a big deal? I'm I at a big disadvantage for not being in air cadets? I'm too old now.

I ask because my backup is to be a vet, which requires a lot of my time and dedication, so I just want to get an idea of how much time I should dedicate to each area.

ktiger said:
Hey guys, one last question.

I've been searching the forums but I haven't found a clear answer; is air cadets a big deal? I'm I at a big disadvantage for not being in air cadets? I'm too old now.

I ask because my backup is to be a vet, which requires a lot of my time and dedication, so I just want to get an idea of how much time I should dedicate to each area.

No

A bit discouraged, having trouble in school due to extreme anxiety. I'm still getting 80s, but not the 90s I need. Still having problems with depression and my psychiatrist/counselor/dad/friend have all told me I'm not mentally capable of being in the military. I still want to, but maybe it's just not in my skillset? Not a question of confidence, but more of just how I am, at this point even high school classes are a challenge.

ktiger said:
A bit discouraged, having trouble in school due to extreme anxiety. I'm still getting 80s, but not the 90s I need. Still having problems with depression and my psychiatrist/counselor/dad/friend have all told me I'm not mentally capable of being in the military. I still want to, but maybe it's just not in my skillset? Not a question of confidence, but more of just how I am, at this point even high school classes are a challenge.
If this is the case because you don't like classroom settings, you're not going to like it in the CAF.

78-MERCER-image01.jpg

Although the candidates sitting here are senior Non Commissioned Officers (aka sergeants), it's not unlike where the majority of your time in basic training will take place.

I don't mind class at all. That doesn't look intimidating or anything, could be interesting. I just have a problem with anxiety right now, and school isn't helping.

Without wishing to appear too brutal, you should perhaps make your alternative career plan your primary.

If you have extreme anxiety problems now, in school, you are going to have them multiplied drastically during flying training.

I'm starting to understand being a pilot isn't really in my skill set.  I still would still like to join the air reserves at least. I'm not sure what to do with myself for now though, I have to wait two years after stopping my medication, seems so long.

I don't want to give up yet, I know this is what I want to do. Even if I'm accepted under my second or third job choice.

I've been doing a lot better with my anxiety. I don't have anxiety under pressure, only when I have too long to sit and think.
I know I can beat this. I hope it doesn't give me some sort of permanent bad record though.

I wish there was more I could do now, but I need the time to get in physical/mental shape anyway.

ktiger said:
I don't want to give up yet, I know this is what I want to do. Even if I'm accepted under my second or third job choice.

I've been doing a lot better with my anxiety. I don't have anxiety under pressure, only when I have too long to sit and think.
I know I can beat this. I hope it doesn't give me some sort of permanent bad record though.

I wish there was more I could do now, but I need the time to get in physical/mental shape anyway.

There's a lot of sitting and thinking and waiting for hours in the CAF. Our unofficial motto is Hurry Up and Wait. Depending on your chosen occupations as well, you may need to be in defensive positions for hours on end in silence.

Well I'll have to see. I'm not doing anything anytime soon. My anxiety levels have been improving a lot, so I'm not giving up. Even if I just try the reserves...we'll see, I might pursue something else. I'm taking this time to explore my interests.

Just an update if anyone is interested, or has some wisdom to share.

Some people have tried to discourage me but I'm not giving up.
Everything has been going really well. I'm almost off my medication and feeling good. Been working a lot, volunteering a bit , and doing plenty of sports. In August I'll be going to College to take a 2 year associate of arts in outdoor leadership. It should be a lot of fun, I'll learn a lot of new skills and hopefully it helps me have a better shot of being accepted as a pilot. Still working on improving at a lot of things, but I'm making progress. I also need a bigger support network, so hopefully I can work on improving that.
I'll be going to the Cold Lake air show this summer, can't wait!

Feel like I'm really changing my life for the better. I really feel like this is right for me.

Any encouragement or advice would go a long way, thanks guys! :)

Back