• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accelerated Nursing Option

scaddie

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows where you can take an accelerated nursing program at an accredited university, through ROTP. I'm currently a second year science student, and am considering the two year RN option at Dalhousie University next year. If so, when is the best time to apply? Also, when becoming an officer, do you have to complete the Basic Officer Training, even if you've already been an NCM with PLQ?

UBC has a program, but it's accelerated on the basis of significant health care experience, ie Paramedics and LPNs looking to go RN.  I'm not certain, but I think two to three years employment AND a diploma in something are necessary.

DF

University of Toronto Faculty of Nursing offers 2-year accelerated BScN degree for people who have 2 years of university and/or people who had previous degree:

http://www.nursing.utoronto.ca/programs/bscn/default.aspx

The admission requirements are:

To be eligible to enter the BScN program, applicants must have completed at least ten (10) university full course equivalents prior to admission, with at least a mid-B (3.0 GPA) average in the last year, or the last five (5) full course equivalents of their university education. Of the ten courses:

A maximum of 6 courses can be at the 100 level, and there must be:

one full course in Human Physiology or its equivalent; (Click here for equivalency list)

one full course equivalent in Life Sciences or Physical Sciences; (e.g. Anatomy, Biology, Immunology, Pathology, Psychology, Astronomy, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Physical Geography)

one full course equivalent in Social Sciences (e.g. Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Women’s Studies)

one full course equivalent in Humanities (e.g. Art, Cinema, Classics, Drama, English, History, Languages, Literature, Philosophy, Religion)

one half course in Statistics

Meeting minimum requirements does not ensure admission to the program.  Students must provide official university transcripts; a personal statement providing information about their goals and knowledge of nursing and thoughts on health care; one academic reference; one work related reference; and a completed assessment form for the prerequisite courses.

http://www.nursing.utoronto.ca/programs/bscn/admission.aspx

Hope that helps, I am actually a graduate of this program so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Also, when becoming an officer, do you have to complete the Basic Officer Training, even if you've already been an NCM with PLQ?

Yes but you may get a bypass for IAP.

Thanks for the responses...I guess I should revise my question:

Can you go ROTP through an accelerated program at school? Or does it have to be a four year degree?

Scaddie said:
Thanks for the responses...I guess I should revise my question:

Can you go ROTP through an accelerated program at school? Or does it have to be a four year degree?

If your program of study requires two or more years to complete, up to four, then you can apply for ROTP subsidization.

I apologize for reviving this old thread, but I am wondering if the 2 year accelerated nursing degree programs are still covered by ROTP? Also, are the accelerated programs at Trent University and Humber College recognized by the CAF?

Thanks.

As of last year, I know of at least one person that completed the Accelerated Program at UNB under ROTP.  They usually don't like it, however, since you cannot complete BMOQ during the summers, and they may make you sign papers stating that you will repay them for your schooling if you fail BMOQ after you've completed your schooling.

Back