• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Accidentally bought a yacht

I've been in the Navy for over 35 years.  I know a lot about boats - enough to know that I never want to own one....

Chris Pook said:
And if you combine stoker's advice with that of OGBD you get NOAA's great loop...

great-loop.jpg

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/great-loop.html

You can always include the Trent-Severn Canals through the Kawarthas if you want to jump from Lake Huron to Lake Ontario.

Now that, that looks like a feat to accomplish. Could be fun especially from a historic point of view.

Pusser said:
I've been in the Navy for over 35 years.  I know a lot about boats - enough to know that I never want to own one....

Lol fair enough haha

SeaKingTacco said:
Welcome, to sailboat ownership! We were given my wife's father's boat this past summer, so no upfront cost, but we certainly are into the maintenace, upkeep and fitting out costs!

Yes, I came into that with my eyes wide open. Electronics should be updated, we need a depth sounder, few hatches leak a bit, cushions need replacing etc. But should make for some awesome family memories hopefully.

Ugh cant scroll far enough to insert the sailing anarchy page, but thanks for recommending them. To be honest, I kind of avoided that group due to attitude.. I will check them out again though due to your recommendation.

To be honest aside from Facebook and YouTube, Army.ca is the only website I really go to online. So I am quite insulated lol plus YouTube owns my soul i think, weird how that happens.

Abdullah

P.s My wife just pointed out that the draft on the valiant is to deep to do the great loop sadly... that's a shame. Maybe I need two boats? If i stop posting please come to my funeral, I'm sure I wont survive if I buy two boats 😂. But then again she only told me no new firearms for this year.. so if she says no more boats.. guess I'll need to buy a plane 👹.

AbdullahD said:
P.s My wife just pointed out that the draft on the valiant is to deep to do the great loop sadly... that's a shame. Maybe I need two boats? If i stop posting please come to my funeral, I'm sure I wont survive if I buy two boats 😂. But then again she only told me no new firearms for this year.. so if she says no more boats.. guess I'll need to buy a plane 👹.

On a positive note, Abdullah, your wife is getting savvy enough to know about some key factors to sailing...interest is a good thing....perhaps, so long as it doesn’t become ‘administratively burdensome administratively’.... :warstory:

Regards
G2G

He might want to consider letting her do the navigating...

Good2Golf said:
On a positive note, Abdullah, your wife is getting savvy enough to know about some key factors to sailing...interest is a good thing....perhaps, so long as it doesn’t become ‘administratively burdensome administratively’.... :warstory:

Regards
G2G

I may have to hear the war story some time.. ;)

Chris Pook said:
He might want to consider letting her do the navigating...

Well as I understand it when a sailor wants to go right he turns left, due to the copious amounts of Rum he has imbibed. So since we don't drink having a power struggle over navigation could be fun.

But yeah, in all seriousness if I want her to be interested in sailing she needs something to do instead of just cooking the food. To be honest I'm not tech savvy at all, so it make sense she navigates lol

We have radar on this beast, AIS, installing sonar and a new chart plotter, and of course a fish finder and the stereo system and the radar and chart plotter will be mirroring to our devices. All the while having this all set up to the auto pilot... cruising along out in the ocean or the interior channels.. I'd screw it up.. she could handle it.

Abdullah

Chris Pook said:
And if you combine stoker's advice with that of OGBD you get NOAA's great loop...

I didn't realize that so much of the US was an island.

Interesting thought that, about the Eastern US as an island.  Perhaps we could relocate the northern boundary to the line of the Canals, the Trent-Severn, the Rideau and the Lachine.

We'd lose Lakes Ontario and Erie (no great loss).

Which begs the question how deep does the water have to be to form said "island"  ;D

All those people on the "island" can they call the others Mainlanders and from "away"

Well I might as well post my gripe lol

Just used personal leave days, booked my flights, told the captain I would fix ANYTHING he said needed to be fixxed before we move the boat.

So I knew the electronics were an issue, which needs addressing and the engine needs a servicing before we set sail... so I arranged my brother to go to WA to install a new depth sounds, radar, chart plotter and vhf radio next weekend. He is arranging to have friend from work service the engine too possibly or her will himself.

But.. the captain who was going to help us backed out. Due to the engine having sat for a year and the electronics were bare or outdated. I can't even blame the chap, trusting some random unknown person who promises these things will be addressed.. can very well end in a let down lol. But he recommends a chap that is asking at least $1,000 USD or more 😂

My brother is looking into other options, thinking the 1k or more is insane 🤣

Gotta love the boats haha if someone knows someone feel free to steer me in a direction I need something for the weekend of the 30th of this month. The other chap was going to contact me today, but didnt. Good times lol

Abdullah

Have a full survey too that's where I ripped some pictures from, some that i requested the broker takes and here is the add.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?id=3228129&slim=broker&ywo=fairhavenyachtsales&hosturl=fairhavenyachtsales&lang=en&units=Feet&back=/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=3228129

Abdullah

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190317-214700_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-214700_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_20190317-214652_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-214652_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 218
  • FullSize4.jpg
    FullSize4.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 200
Colin P said:
Where is it located?

Thanks, I hope it is as nice in person too :)

It is in La Conner WA we have arranged a slip in Sooke. So roughly a 2 day trip, counting the check in, in victoria.

Abd

Interesting, looks to be best to depart to the south and out through Deception Pass. Swinomish channel has some currents to manage and you have to wait for favourable tides to get through deception. After that fairly clear sailing if the weather cooperates. It's 10nm to Deception so assume at least 2 hrs to get there. You want to depart about 3 hrs before slack at Deception and then be ready to run the slack before the ebb (I am assuming the ebb is westward there).

If that scares you to much Swinosh channel also goes North, takes you pass Anacortes and then into deep water. The Northern route is 21nm and the Southern route is 16nm, so an hour longer, but not tide constrained. You still need to use the tide in Swinomish as you won't want to buck it in a sailboat I suspect, ask the broker for local tips. Do you have a chart plotter and US/Canadian charts? Also a tide book is your friend. Don't rely on having data access on your phone.

https://48north.com/2017/02/23/tbt-deception-pass-an-exciting-destination/

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/navigation/

Colin P said:
Interesting, looks to be best to depart to the south and out through Deception Pass. Swinomish channel has some currents to manage and you have to wait for favourable tides to get through deception. After that fairly clear sailing if the weather cooperates. It's 10nm to Deception so assume at least 2 hrs to get there. You want to depart about 3 hrs before slack at Deception and then be ready to run the slack before the ebb (I am assuming the ebb is westward there).

If that scares you to much Swinosh channel also goes North, takes you pass Anacortes and then into deep water. The Northern route is 21nm and the Southern route is 16nm, so an hour longer, but not tide constrained. You still need to use the tide in Swinomish as you won't want to buck it in a sailboat I suspect, ask the broker for local tips. Do you have a chart plotter and US/Canadian charts? Also a tide book is your friend. Don't rely on having data access on your phone.

https://48north.com/2017/02/23/tbt-deception-pass-an-exciting-destination/

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/navigation/

No chart plotter, currently in the process of buying and installing a chart plotter with depth sounder and radar. Will get the local charts at that time too.

We have a stack of paper charts in the boat, possibly a tide book too, but I will get a new tide book regardless. Then get paper charts as back up or a pdf file on multiple devices with charts on them (but that option has issues)

Abdullah

so was this what you used to sell this idea to your wife https://www.facebook.com/monster.rib/videos/253219242246654/

Good advice from Colin.

If my memory serves, however, Deception pass can have some pretty impressive tide rips, even at slack water. In a small boat like that, you have to really mind your course as you can start to be spun around fairly easily in passes like that.

Good luck ... and, I agree: nice looking boat for her age.

Colin P said:
so was this what you used to sell this idea to your wife https://www.facebook.com/monster.rib/videos/253219242246654/

There may, or may not have been videos of the black pearl super yacht and Caribbean beaches involved. I will neither confirm nor deny these points.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Good advice from Colin.

If my memory serves, however, Deception pass can have some pretty impressive tide rips, even at slack water. In a small boat like that, you have to really mind your course as you can start to be spun around fairly easily in passes like that.

Good luck ... and, I agree: nice looking boat for her age.

Thanks Ogbd and  I will heed the warnings, I currently have two captains that are local to the area offering to give me a hand. Same price pretty much, so really just trying to see who I vibe better with.

Lots of respect for the membership here, so count me well and duly warned about the risks.

Abdullah

Back