• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

CBC articles, etc are rife with comments from people who seem to know better than the professionals who deal with situations like the one RCMP faced last weekend.  Saw this this morning...

"The following is a letter that was sent today by Eric HOWARD a Retired RCMP S/Sgt. originally from Nova Scotia to a number of media outlets in Nova Scotia. After seeing and hearing so much news reports blaming and finger pointing at the RCMP for the handling of this past weekends terrible tragedy, this gentleman’s response is worth reading."

This afternoon I sent the following to the bureau chiefs of CTV, CBC and Global TV in Nova Scotia. I am really tired of the one sided reporting. Take care, mates. Eric

Coverage of Murders in Nova Scotia

April 2020-04-22

I wish to make some comments on your television coverage of the horrible tragedy this past weekend.

Journalism should be fact based, open and transparent, and balanced in presentation. Your recent coverage is anything but. It seems you are looking for the raw, emotional aspects of a case, and then exploit a small fragment of the story to try to put blame for an incident on someone or some agency that does not deserve this scrutiny, especially this early in an investigation.

I am talking about the repeated and continuing comments that the RCMP did not request an emergency Alert. It is all well and good to interview the grieving relatives of the victims and air their complaints in their pain. That is one side of the story.

There is much more to the other sides of the story. You did nothing to investigate and present those aspects of the story. I offer a few aspects that could have been researched and brought to the broadcasts, so the public would get a balanced news piece.

1. Did you check out the internet and cell coverage in much of the area where this happened? To say it is spotty is an understatement. Therefore, many people would not get an emergency alert on their cell phone or computer.

2. Did you interview a hundred or so families living in and around the areas this happened in, to assess what percentage of people were aware of the situation on Saturday night, how manySunday morning and how they became aware, etc.? To me, that is an important aspect of the event.

3. Did you review all the various news agencies TV and radio coverage for the time period throughout this incident? Did any agency keep the public updated continuously on the information shared on Twitter by the RCMP? If not, why not? You are a news agency, always reporting breaking news. And I know all the news agencies follow Twitter!

4. Did you research the criteria and thresholds required in order to issue an Alert on the Alert Ready system? Why not and why not make that part of the news story?

5. Did you, even fleetingly, consider the effect your news pieces have had on the first responders who were working during this terrible event? Basically, you are telling them that is their fault that so many people died, they messed up and it cost lives. Not at all true. Wortman is solely responsible for these deaths. Put the blame where it belongs, at Wortman’s feet. For a moment, imagine the dispatch centre during the 12 hour event. Pure chaos, but controlled chaos, once the first reports came in. And it was catch up from there, as the suspect couldn’t be located and moved quickly through the numerous back roads of a very rural area. It does not surprise me that the police couldn’t locate and corral him. The area is full of little back roads and escape routes. Look at the map of the area. As the police received new information they sent it out. Often, the news was old as soon as they sent it out, because Wortman was moving quickly over large distances. Think about the psychological effect of your news report!!

I think your agency owes an apology to all the first responders. You and your agency have to stop being ‘ambulance chaser newscasters’, only reporting the most sensational or controversial aspects of an event.

You and your agency have to stop being ’armchair quarterbacks’ for your stories. You weren’t there, you don’t know how things went down. So, stop giving a one sided aspect of a story. Do your research, investigate, consider the effects of your news clip on all those affected and make a balanced report.

Doing anything less puts a dark stain on you as a journalist and on your agency as a reputable news outlet.

Thank You.

Eric HOWARD
Retired RCMP S/Sgt. Originally from Nova Scotia

If you google 28B11 - the serial number he used on his fake cop car - the first result takes you to this page -

https://www.creativebiolabs.net/anti-il17f-antibody-scfv-fragment-123924.htm

'Creative Biolabs has successfully developed SARS, MERS and other anti-viral antibodies in the past to assist scientific research. Facing the difficult COVID-19, Creative Biolabs actively invests in antibody development to assist researchers to better understand the characteristics of 2019-nCoV and drug development.'

Probably a hoax right? Creative bio-labs has been around since 2005 and that website has been up since 2015. Why he used that number who knows, but that would be a pretty big coincidence.

Baz said:
Screen-Shot-2020-04-23-at-12.32.13-PM-1.png

There will be an online tribute to the victims this evening.  Details can be found at https://heartcolchester.ca/.  The site also contains links to many of the active relief funds for the families.

The Natalie MacMaster piece at the beginning....caught in my throat a little. 

RIP

Reading thru information as it now comes out, it's entirely possible the first solid "fix" the RCMP had on the killer's location after they determined he'd slipped thru the cordon was when he engaged Cst Morrison.  His pattern and movements after leaving the initial crime spree area was (from what I can tell) erratic, he switched vehicles and clothing more than once. 

While some people may still feel justified in criticizing what happened, I am thankful to the RCMP who stopped him from reaching 'the city', where who knows what might have happened. 

[quote author=Quirky]

Probably a hoax right?
[/quote]

What's your take on it?

Quirky said:
If you google 28B11 - the serial number he used on his fake cop car - the first result takes you to this page -

Probably a hoax right? Creative bio-labs has been around since 2005 and that website has been up since 2015. Why he used that number who knows, but that would be a pretty big coincidence.

That's ludicrously far-fetched. The number-letter-number code is consistent with how some RCMP divisions designate their vehicles. Albert and Yukon for instance both use that format (that's not an exhaustive list). The fact that some individuals on the internet with too much time on their hands have managed to find the same sequence in some vaccine research signifies nothing. It's not really that huge a coincidence given how many endeavours have the need to sequentially list things.

By accounts I've read, he did an impressive job of replicating the decals and livery one would see on an RCMP car from Alberta- probably a simple matter of the best examples he could find highly detailed photos of, which would be more than 'good enough' for his purposes.

Quirky said:

Did you pull a muscle with that stretch?

If you had actually read the Creative Biolabs page, and not focused on the Covid-19 ad link that they (and probably similar to every other bio company out there) added to every page to pop up when opening their site you would have discovered that 28B11 has nothing to do with the current pandemic.

This product is a mouse antibody scFv fragment targeting human IL17F. This antibody scFv fragment can recognize IL-17F and/or the heterodimeric IL-17A/IL-17F complex, but do not recognize IL-17A.

IL17F (Interleukin 17F) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with IL17F include Candidiasis, Familial, 6 and Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-nova-scotia-shooting-encapsulates-all-thats-wrong-with-the-rcmp/

Opinion piece that is fairly critical of the RCMP from someone who seems well versed in their inner workings. Some of the criticisms are fair i think, others may be a little harsh.

You don't get "sent" on the musical ride, you apply for it. Press liaison is an internal position posted if a member interested and if they have the skills, they can apply for internally. Not sure about community officers, but in any event none of these take away from the fact she met the shooter head on, put herself in that position when she could have made another choice, and she did that because it was her job.

I really hope this incident does not become about the shortcomings of the RCMP, and instead it remains focused on preventing domestic violence, eliminating the seeds of murder rage, and maybe, just maybe, an initial discussion about how maybe some of those people could have lived if they had an opportunity to defend themselves and were encouraged by our laws to do so, rather than discouraged.

CloudCover said:
You don't get "sent" on the musical ride, you apply for it. Press liaison is an internal position posted if a member interested and if they have the skills, they can apply for internally. Not sure about community officers, but in any event none of these take away from the fact she met the shooter head on, put herself in that position when she could have made another choice, and she did that because it was her job.

I really hope this incident does not become about the shortcomings of the RCMP, and instead it remains focused on preventing domestic violence, eliminating the seeds of murder rage, and maybe, just maybe, an initial discussion about how maybe some of those people could have lived if they had an opportunity to defend themselves and were encouraged by our laws to do so, rather than discouraged.

Well we should hold the RCMP accountable for any failings.  I wonder how the ERT works in Nova Scotia?  It's probably a part time gig for some. 

How is it that in a moment of crisis like this, The RCMP ERT members are at a gas station gassing up their trucks?  Do they not keep them filled as standard policy?

Does the RCMP have a QRF based around the ERT?  I find it interesting that the RCMP doesn't have more air assets given how large their jurisdictions are.

I personally think the RCMP should consider investigating and investing in some "fireforce" type units that could be rapidly deployed by aviation or helicopter.

It would greatly improve response times for incidents like this.

Humphrey Bogart said:
How is it that in a moment of crisis like this, The RCMP ERT members are at a gas station gassing up their trucks?  Do they not keep them filled as standard policy?

Given that the incident had begun hours before, it's entirely reasonable that the team would need to refuel, preferably before they reach a critical fuel level.

dapaterson said:
Given that the incident had begun hours before, it's entirely reasonable that the team would need to refuel, preferably before they reach a critical fuel level.

That would make sense.  I'm more interested in ERT response times then anything.  My reasoning is if we are spending all this money for highly trained operators, we better be able to put them on scene quickly.

I'm not sure if that's the case though at least it doesn't seem like it.  It was the same when I was in the Northern Communities, response time was mentioned to me as many many hours in some cases.

I don't think that's acceptable to the communities or the frontline police tasked with enforcing the law in those areas.

Humphrey Bogart said:
That would make sense.  I'm more interested in ERT response times then anything.  My reasoning is if we are spending all this money for highly trained operators, we better be able to put them on scene quickly.

I'm not sure if that's the case though at least it doesn't seem like it.  It was the same when I was in the Northern Communities, response time was mentioned to me as many many hours in some cases.

I don't think that's acceptable to the communities or the frontline police tasked with enforcing the law in those areas.

Once the investigation into the shooting is complete a inquiry of some kind is likely going to happen, at which time the RCMP will be under the microscope on all aspects. The results of which might end up being a hard pill for the RCMP to swallow but lead to changes in the force and how it operates. Not to prevent mass shootings, but to improve response so that it doesn't get as bad as this got.

Humphrey Bogart said:

The challenge in any service delivery in Canada is geography, and lack of population density.  Covering major urban areas is easy; covering vast, largely but not entirely uninhabited areas is not.  Look at SAR coverage and response times for a comparable problem space.

MilEME09 said:
Once the investigation into the shooting is complete a inquiry of some kind is likely going to happen, at which time the RCMP will be under the microscope on all aspects. The results of which might end up being a hard pill for the RCMP to swallow but lead to changes in the force and how it operates. Not to prevent mass shootings, but to improve response so that it doesn't get as bad as this got.

Maybe that particular pill should be offered to the GoC;  the RCMP, like DND, are limited in capabilities based on funding...if there was a part of the response that 'could have been better' that wasn't directly related to "capability, or gaps in capability" that are more human-related (decision making, information processing, etc) then that seems like more of the 'hard pill to swallow for the Force' to me.

As I've said many times since it happened;  how do you prepare and train for 'something that has never happened before'?

dapaterson said:
Covering major urban areas is easy; covering vast, largely but not entirely uninhabited areas is not. 

A discussion(s) I recall, are taxpayers in rural areas entitled to the same 9-1-1 response times as taxpayers urban areas?

dapaterson said:
The challenge in any service delivery in Canada is geography, and lack of population density.  Covering major urban areas is easy; covering vast, largely but not entirely uninhabited areas is not.  Look at SAR coverage and response times for a comparable problem space.

Absolutely but this is really my point.

The RCMP seems very poorly equipped for the remote territories they have to patrol.  The fact they have only just started equipping their Police with carbines is a problem.

Their Air Wing seems completely inadequate for the type of Operations they are required for in that their helicopters and aircraft have neither the speed, capacity or range to carry out high-risk police operations. 

Compare RCMP ERT teams with an organization like GIGN and compare their aviation fleet with the French Gendarmerie or the German Bundespolizei.

France's Gendarmerie has 55 helicopters while the German Federal Police have 84 helicopters including 22 Super Pumas (i.e. heavy lift)

The RCMP has a measly 8 helicopters and a few light aircraft.  It should be noted that Canada is 18 times larger than France and 28 times larger than Germany geographically.

GIGN has 4 platoons of operators with two on permanent alert.  The platoons are also trained in HALO/HAHO parachuting and are based right beside a French airbase where they have dedicated access to Heavy Fixed and Rotary aviation.

It's quite clear to me that the RCMP air fleet is completely inadequate for what we expect the RCMP to do and it also seems like the ERT teams themselves are poorly optimized for response to incidents like this which is essentially a terrorist incident.  I'm beginning to wonder if the Feds need to consider bringing back SERT and making some significant investments in Police Aviation.

Humphrey Bogart said:

The RCMP seems very poorly equipped for the remote territories they have to patrol.  The fact they have only just started equipping their Police with carbines is a problem.

Their Air Wing seems completely inadequate for the type of Operations they are required for in that their helicopters and aircraft have neither the speed, capacity or range to carry out high-risk police operations. 

Compare RCMP ERT teams with an organization like GIGN and compare their aviation fleet with the French Gendarmerie or the German Bundespolizei.

France's Gendarmerie has 55 helicopters while the German Federal Police have 84 helicopters including 22 Super Pumas (i.e. heavy lift)

The RCMP has a measly 8 helicopters and a few light aircraft.  It should be noted that Canada is 18 times larger than France and 28 times larger than Germany geographically.

GIGN has 4 platoons of operators with two on permanent alert.  The platoons are also trained in HALO/HAHO parachuting and are based right beside a French airbase where they have dedicated access to Heavy Fixed and Rotary aviation.

It's quite clear to me that the RCMP air fleet is completely inadequate for what we expect the RCMP to do and it also seems like the ERT teams themselves are poorly optimized for response to incidents like this which is essentially a terrorist incident.  I'm beginning to wonder if the Feds need to consider bringing back SERT and making some significant investments in Police Aviation.

You’re badly off the mark on a lot of this... I’ll be back to this later, but yeah. Might be time to check fire. You have failed to validate some of your assumptions or to properly situation some of the things here in the time and space of the larger incident.

Humphrey Bogart said:

To add an example, a few years ago a story was run locally here about the plane RCMP have here in Alberta. Thats right one plane, this plane was suppose to be to help enforce speed limits on highways, however it almost never is due to it being constantly called away for other tasks. Not being able to do what its aviation arm is talked to do is definitely a capability gap the GoC needs to address.

However capabilities of the RCMP or lack of is not key to this discussion and would warrant its own thread.

Back