• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

It feels like some of the details here are taking longer to become public. Although from what I have heard from the press conference, it appears that this unfolded at numerous different locations.

Kilted said:
It feels like some of the details here are taking longer to become public. Although from what I have heard from the press conference, it appears that this unfolded at numerous different locations.

Don’t expect much of a story to be told for a while yet. Too complex, too much to do.

10 + people dead...no report on injured, etc....

The CBC story indicates that the individual owned multiple properties in Portapique and Dartmouth, and that there were three fires in Portapique... lots of locations for police to secure, search and analyze, beyond the site where the suspect was captured.

It's been less than 24 hours.

GAP said:
10 + people dead...no report on injured, etc....

RCMP officer was a 23 year veteran of the Force. Leaves behind two children and husband. Possibility of more victims. More here from CBC:

More than 10 people dead after N.S. gunman's rampage, and police say toll could grow

CBC News · Posted: Apr 19, 2020 5:37 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 minutes ago

Police have confirmed the gunman has died, and identified the RCMP officer who was killed

More than 10 people were killed during a gunman's bloody 12-hour rampage through several Nova Scotia communities, and police warn there may be more victims.

In an update on Sunday evening, Nova Scotia RCMP confirmed there were at least 10 people killed in several locations across the province, including a veteran RCMP officer.

Police said there may be more victims who have not been discovered yet and their investigation continues.

RCMP identified the gunman as Gabriel Wortman, 51. His rampage began late Saturday night in the small community of Portapique, N.S. He led police on a chase Sunday morning along one of the province's busiest highways.

The chase ended near a gas station about 35 kilometres north of Halifax in Enfield, N.S., around 11:40 a.m. local time. Police confirmed Sunday evening that the gunman was dead.

RCMP Chief Supt. Chris Leather said gunfire was exchanged between police and the suspect at at least one point.

Gunman did not know some of his victims: police

On Sunday morning, police had warned that the gunman was driving a vehicle that looked like an RCMP vehicle at one point, and was wearing an RCMP uniform.

"The fact that this individual had a uniform and a police car at his disposal certainly speaks to it not being a random act," Leather said.

Due to privacy reasons, Leather said he was not able to discuss Wortman's relationship with the victims, besides saying some of the victims did not appear to have a relationship with the gunman.
Police victim identified

Const. Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year veteran of the RCMP, has been identified as the police member who was killed responding to the active shooter incident.

"Heidi answered the call of duty and lost her life while protecting those she served. Earlier this afternoon I met with Heidi's family and there are no words to describe their pain," Assistant Commissioner Lee Bergerman told reporters Sunday evening.

"Two children have lost their mother. And a husband has lost his wife. Parents have lost their daughter and countless others lost an incredible friend and colleague."

Bergerman also said a second male officer was injured and is in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

'One of the most senseless acts of violence' in N.S. history

Premier Stephen McNeil addressed the investigation Sunday afternoon.

"I never imagined when I went to bed last night that I would wake up to the horrific news that an active shooter was on the loose in Nova Scotia. This is one of the most senseless acts of violence in our province's history," McNeil said.

"To the families of the victims, and to those who are still feeling afraid, my heart goes out to you. Know that all Nova Scotians are with you."

McNeil also thanked RCMP for stopping the gunman and doing their best to protect citizens.

In a media briefing Sunday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also thanked police for their work.

"My heart goes out to everyone affected in what is a terrible situation," Trudeau said in a brief statement.

'We heard gunshots'

Darcy Sack, a Shubenacadie, N.S., resident, said she and her friend came across two burning police vehicles and the silver suspect vehicle while out driving on Sunday morning near Highway 102, one of the province's main arteries.

"We were right behind the police car that was on fire. There was one officer we could see on scene and then all of a sudden, he went running toward one of the burning vehicles," Sack said. "We heard gunshots."

Sack said her heart was pounding the whole time.

"I had that feeling that something was wrong with the [police officer's] partner — the way he looked. My heart went out to him," she said.

Sack said they then turned on to the highway and then saw the shooter in the silver car again being chased by police. She said he was dressed like a police officer.

Eyewitness saw homes burning

Mike MacKay, who lives just off the Glooscap Trail in Portapique said he saw police cars on the Portapique Beach Road around 11:30 p.m. Saturday, across the Portapique River from his home.

"We saw a fire down the road, and thought that's all that it was. Then we saw a second fire and a third fire," said MacKay in a phone interview from his home Sunday morning.

N.S. resident 'up all night' following active shooter incident

CBC has learned RCMP and fire fighters were called to a property in Wentworth, N.S., on Sunday morning shortly before 10 a.m. to respond to a house fire.

Police have not released any information about whether it is connected to the shooter investigation.

The RCMP would not comment on the report of multiple house fires when asked by CBC News on Sunday morning.

'You're on edge'

MacKay said he did not sleep at all overnight Saturday.

"You're on edge. It's a small community," said MacKay. "It becomes quite a concern."

Coun. Tom Taggart, who represents the area for the Municipality of Colchester, described Portapique as a quiet community with many seniors.

Taggart said there are many seasonal homes in the area, which has around 100 residents but swells to 250 in the warmer months.

"It's a beautiful, quiet, rural community," said Taggart, adding that the situation is not something he'd expect to happen in "cottage country."

A person with the name Gabriel Wortman is listed as a denturist in the Halifax area on the Denturist Society of Nova Scotia website.

According to property records, Wortman owns a denture clinic and two other properties in Dartmouth and three properties in Portapique.

Link

dapaterson said:
The CBC story indicates that the individual owned multiple properties in Portapique and Dartmouth, and that there were three fires in Portapique... lots of locations for police to secure, search and analyze, beyond the site where the suspect was captured.

It's been less than 24 hours.

I don’t know how many forensic identification members Nova Scotia RCMP have. I doubt it’s many. Same with criminal fire investigators. Lots to process...

One piece of footage I saw showed a Halifax Regional PS forensic van at what looked like the service centre.  They could be there to assist the province's SIRT  unit - I don't know how well they are equipped (Ontario's SIU has its own forensic team).  No doubt RCMP forensic units and possibly criminal investigators will be drawn from NB and PEI.

Multiple major crime scenes are extremely resource intensive.

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen and her family.

lenaitch said:
One piece of footage I saw showed a Halifax Regional PS forensic van at what looked like the service centre.  They could be there to assist the province's SIRT  unit - I don't know how well they are equipped (Ontario's SIU has its own forensic team).  No doubt RCMP forensic units and possibly criminal investigators will be drawn from NB and PEI.

Multiple major crime scenes are extremely resource intensive.

Thoughts and prayers to the fallen and her family.

And it sounds like there are many scenes, and many victims. Each will need to be fully and properly handled for both the criminal investigation and the SIRT investigation.

Global News is now quoting the RCMP commissioner as so far 13 dead victims plus the shooter.

CBC radio news says I t’s now 17 dead including the shooter. 

CTV reporting the death toll is up to 19 so far.

What a mess.

A private pilot out of Halifax flew a tribute over Portapique last night.

https://twitter.com/haligonia/status/1252035451873103874

lenaitch said:
The one hole in their reportage is the claim that all "guns" in Canada have to be registered.  On the few other forums I haunt with many Americans onboard, I am surprised I have not yet heard that this could have been stopped in its tracks by a well armed citizenry.

Read the comments in the Fox News reports. I don't know why I submitted myself to that, but there it is.  There's some other stuff in their that I hope they edit out...

Baz said:
Read the comments in the Fox News reports.

I'd rather slam my junk in a car door than read the comments on a Fox story about a mass shooting.

Brihard said:
I'd rather slam my junk in a car door than read the comments on a Fox story about a mass shooting.

It pretty much has the same effect. 

Halifax Examiner is keeping an up to date list of those killed at: https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/too-much-pain-here-are-12-victims-in-yesterdays-mass-killing/

Names are taken from other formal releases, and on consent of families.

A reporter from the Halifax Examiner, Tom Bousquet, also reports on the perpetrator's court record: https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1252245303513710598

[A] 2002 conviction of assault, two speeding tickets, and an apparent family dispute over property in Portapique (he lost that dispute) in 2015.

And an odd article from the Halifax edition of Frank Magazine of an alleged interaction between the perpetrator and Halifax police (undated): http://archive.is/QpKxo
EDIT: Appears to be from the 17 Feb 2020 edition of the magazine.

Chief Engineer said:
I see the anti gun lobby didn't waste time calling on a immediate ban of sales assault rifles in Canada even though its not clear what type of gun the madman used.

All sides of that particular debate are calling for all sorts of stuff.

Maybe we should leave this thread to the fact of the incident and as things come to light.  We can discuss the political side in the gun debate thread.

Not a knock to you Chief.  Just that we have people here affected directly by this on this thread.  Maybe we can move the gun debate to the right section. 

I’m happy to be told to go pound salt, but just a suggestion for everyone here.

Back