• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice about my first posting. [Merged]

jonathancharrier said:
Maybe a stupid question but what does ql3 mean ?
http://www.acronymfinder.com/Qualification-Level-3-(Canadian-Army)-(QL3).html

Out of curiosity... Do you get a choice... Or any choices as to where you prefer to be posted?

You are able to provide preferences for postings.  Those preferences are one factor considered, along with the needs of the service, the need to provide individuals with experience, and a myriad of other factors.

Mariomike posted

Pistos said:
There's Traffic Techs posted to every base and wing in the CF and as a new QL3 you may have the opportunity to select any of them for your first posting... depending on the current needs of the CF.  Normally, towards the end of your QL3 and before you talk to the career manager, you'll be presented with a list of locations and number of QL3 Traffic Techs that they need - if you select from that list you'll probably get your choice.  If you have another suggestion and can argue persuasively, the career manager may grant you an alternate posting.

That said, 1/2 to 3/4 of the Tfc Techs in the CF call 8 Wing Trenton home - if you want to go there you'll probably get it.  Your 4's package will be done later; if you're at an Air Base it'll be done at your unit, if not then you'll probably do it in Trenton.

Cheers,

Good information here, but I feel the need to amplify and clarify a phrase from Pistos - "If you have another suggestion and can argue persuasively..." Please - for those young soldiers reading this, step very lightly when it comes to "arguing persuasively" You have not yet earned the right to argue. You DO have the right to present mitigating factors for or against a decision WITH assistance from possibly a Sr NCO who knows how to do it properly and professionally...

Make sense?

It's a good idea not to be confrontational during training. Regardless of some of my classmates having higher marks, they didn't get their ideal posting.

Saying that, I didn't get my first posting due to a family medical hardship from someone else on my course.

Just do your best, work hard and show interest as to where you want to be posted.

Cbbmtt said:
It's a good idea not to be confrontational during training... Just do your best, work hard and show interest as to where you want to be posted...

Exactly!

Also, when you (we) are asked our posting preferences, make sure it is in fact reflective of your true desires and put on your MPRR. CMs do look at these. They are used in planning for the following few years, so as up-to-date as you can be the better. Gagetown Gagetown Gagetown is not advisable. If you want Gagetown, but East coast is a good second, try Gagetown, Greenwood, Shearwater. This shows the CM that you want Gagetown, but you're willing to play ball - you're flexable. A triple identical posting pref will say "Hmmm... if not Gagetown, then anywhere... Wainwright it is!"

Alright so here's the deal
I finish my DP1 on March 28, and I'm getting posted from Borden to Edmonton.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden
And I don't really understand.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Thisisstressful said:
I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden

This may help,

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces
https://army.ca/forums/threads/25612.350
18 pages.

Thisisstressful said:
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Look at your posting message. Does it say "restricted" or "prohibitted" anywhere in the title? If it does, there is your answer.

If it does not say that, does your spouse appear anywhere on your MPRR as your dependent? If not, that is the likely the source of your issue.

If it is neither of those two...see your CoC for an explanation.

He is listed as a dependent
And the posting message is unrestricted or whatever
But he's coming here for my grad,and they said that because he technically lives in Winnipeg.with our furniture and effects he isn't allowed to come out with me , and that he has to be moved out separately

Thisisstressful said:
But he's coming here for my grad,and they said that because he technically lives in Winnipeg.with our furniture and effects he isn't allowed to come out with me , and that he has to be moved out separately

Ah. You did not mention that your spouse was not geographically located with you.

Thisisstressful said:
Well, what they are saying is that they won't pay for him.  So, if you're driving for instance, then he can certainly hop in the car with you if you have been authorized to do the trip via PMV.  You get your mileage covered, you get incidentals, your hotel rooms covered and your meals covered, because those are core expenses for you.  But they won't cover his costs, which basically amount to his meals in most cases.

They will cover his costs to go to Edmonton from Winnipeg for the HHT portion and they will cover a hotel room and meals for you both during that period.  The expectation is he will go back to Winnipeg pending the date you take possession and you will need to find other accommodation or move into shacks at your own expense pending that as well, unless you want to pay the extra costs to stay in a hotel out of your own pocket (your R&Q will come out of your pocket as well but that is much cheaper than a hotel).  You will also be flown back to Winnipeg for the actual pack/load/move etc.  If he chooses to stay with you in Edmonton until the pack/load/move he won't be flown back to Winnipeg as the expectation is he is already there with your stuff, living in your apartment or whatever.

Once you secure accommodation and are authorized to move your HG&E, they will fly you from Edmonton to Winnipeg and then do the move proper from Winnipeg to Edmonton with him.

Long story short, if you want to do the cross-Canada tour with him, can afford his meals and he has the time off work, go for it.  Just be careful that he ends up back in Winnipeg somehow before the HHT dates or things get complicated and you start losing benefits.

I'm not sure if driving from Winnipeg to Edmonton counts as "cross Canada tour!"  After all, most of that drive will be through Saskatchewan...

This my take:

1) Everyone is entitled to a "move on enrollment."  If you have been in training to this point, it is unlikely that you have done this yet, as it is normally delayed until your "first posting."  The easiest thing is likely for you to simply let the OR in Borden send you to Edmonton and go into single quarters.  Once you're there, you can request your first "move."

2) Your first "move" will include an HHT.  At this point, the Crown will fly your spouse to Edmonton and put you BOTH in a hotel room (i.e. you don't have to squeeze into single bed in the barracks) for the duration of the HHT.  At the end of the HHT, the spouse goes back to Winnipeg.

3)  Once the occupancy date is determined, you can plan for you to go to Winnipeg to supervise the pack and load of your furniture and effects (F&E).  Then, the two of you can proceed to Edmonton and move into your new home.

There can be some minor variations in how this all plays out, but that's the gist of it.  One thing to note is that the "system" hates things that don't fit into the model, so the best way to accomplish anything is to explain your situation to the people arranging your move (be it Brookfield or the OR) and let them sort our how to fit it into the model.  Having said that, what you are describing is indeed possible at little to no expense to you, so be prepared to ask questions and challenge anything that seems unreasonable.

Pusser said:
I'm not sure if driving from Winnipeg to Edmonton counts as "cross Canada tour!"  After all, most of that drive will be through Saskatchewan...

Thisisstressful said:

Thisisstressful said:
Reading the actual questions the OP has is helpful.

Hey fine crowd of army.ca,

Graduated BMQ in February, now on PAT PL (technically, im on a tasking until July) and my course training (traffic tech) starts in August. I was studying in advance the avenues of the first major decision i will have to take in my young career; postings.

I have a GF back home who's overly anxious about that (i wonder sometimes if she will be able to handle that military gf life, loyalty not being questioned but the breakdowns and fighting ...) so i was wondering, say i were to put Bagotville - Kingston - Trenton or even Montreal if that's possible, realistically how likely would i be to land one of those?

I heard that it was possible as well to check job availablity about your trade on X Y Z base, if ever none of those work between what's available and what would work best for my relationship, i wouldn't be opposed looking at somewhere else. I know it'd probably put an end to said relationship, but i also want what's best for me and lowkey i've always dreamt of living outside of QC.

Looking forward your useful inputs! Thanks in advance :)

When first enrolled, does the army help cover the cost of selling your home and relocating to your first posting?

In broad terms, yes.  There are stipulations and conditions that apply.

Hello,

Regarding the first posting move, I have a question that the RC couldn't answer.

In my household, I currently live with a spouse and a distant relative with her 2 kids under 1 roof. I usually deal with their needs as well as my spouse's and mine so I consider them my dependents. However as the relatives aren't my immediate family, they're not considered dependents under the policy. I realize that the CAF wouldn't pay for their move regarding transportation but how would the move work regarding their belongings as they want to move with me once I get posted. Could I have BGRS move their stuff along with mine?

I'm asking now so that we can plan for any short or long distance moves in advance.

Thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

The CAF will move your household furniture and effects (F&E).  That would be all the stuff you have in your house (subject to some restrictions on weight and hazardous materials).  No one will be examining your F&E to determine who actually owns it.  Having said that, below is the definition of dependant in the Relocation Directive.  It's worth noting that there is no  reference to how closely someone is related to the CAF member (i.e. a distant cousin could qualify).  There is also a provision for someone who may not be a relative, but can still be considered a dependant.

Dependant

(1) This definition applies to all chapters in the CFIRP. For the purpose of an IPR move (Chapter 14), the context here requires that "CF member" includes an eligible person who is not an estate.

(2) “Dependant” means, in relation to an individual who is a CF member, a person who is related to the individual within the meaning of paragraph (3) and who:
a.physically resides in the individual's residence for more than 240 days during the 365 days immediately before the day on which the individual commences their move;
b.does not meet the residence requirement in subparagraph (a) because: i.they attend full-time a university, college, professional or vocational institution, or similar body;
ii.they married or became the common-law partner of the individual during the 240 days immediately before the day on which the individual commences their move and physically reside in the individual's residence after that day;
iii.they became a child of the individual during the 240 days immediately before the day on which the individual commences their move and physically reside in the individual's residence after that day, or
iv.in the case of the spouse or the common-law partner of the individual, they are or were a member of the Regular Force or the Reserve Force and reside elsewhere for service reasons.

(3) For the purpose of paragraph (2) a person related to an individual who is a CF member if:
a.the person is the individual's common-law partner or spouse;
b.the person is a child of the individual, their spouse or their common-law partner;
c.in the case of a person who is a minor or who is an adult who has been declared incompetent under provincial or territorial law, the individual, their spouse or their common-law partner is the person authorized by law to act on behalf of that person; or
d.the person is a person in respect of whom the individual may claim a tax credit under the Income Tax Act or would be able to claim such a credit except for the fact that the person's income exceed the applicable income limit specified under that Act for that tax credit.

(4) For the purpose of paragraph (2), if an individual who is a CF member has a child who is a minor and is the subject of a custody order or an enforceable custody agreement betweenthe individual and another person, the child is deemed to physically reside in the individual's residence for the greater of:
a.the number of days in a year that the order or agreement specifies the individual's residence to be the child's primary residence; and
b.number of days in a year that the order or agreement specifies that individual has access to but not custody of the child.

Number of Dependants - When a posting message does not include all dependants, CF members must provide their Military Personal Records Resume (MPRR) to the service provider to show the number of dependants.

Note

1. In cases of joint/shared custody, when the dependant is residing with the CF member at the time of the relocation, expenses as outlined in the CF IRP Policy may be reimbursed. As per art 3.4.03 the DAE portion of the posting allowance is payable to CF members whose dependants are relocated at public expense.

2. When posted outside Canada the host country may not recognize those defined as dependants under the CF policy therefore CF members should verify host country regulations and ensure compliance understanding that they are responsible for any subsequent costs associated with continuing to establish residency. Person à charge (PC)

(TB amended 16 September 2014)

Back