• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Excellent post, makeadifference2. I only made it to the beginning of week 9, but I agree with what you have said. Hopefully, I can remember all of this when I go back for round 2. ;)

Tulach Ard said:
What was it that dropped you out at week 9 Celt?

Strep throat, sinusitus, chronic pain in my upper back and lower arms, and a custody issue, among other things. I decided to release, come home and recover, deal with the custody thing (now resolved, I think), and join the reserves (better fit for me and my family). Since I am joining the air reserve here, I have to do reg force training, hence my comments about returning to St. Jean at some point. Not sure when it will be, but probably this fall sometime. Hmmm, come to think of it, I'll probably just keep the exact date to myself...last time I had complete strangers walking up to me in the break area going "Are you Celticgirl?"  :eek: lol

HAHAHA Really?? Wow I cannot believe they would recognize you from a chat room! Sheesh. *Wonders how they would know*

Yikes doesnt sound fun, did you get all that pain from training?? :eek: although that wouldnt really surprise me, that sucks.

Well I am glad to hear you are back at it, you will do GREAT the second time=P Platoon Queen, hehhe.

Tulach Ard said:
HAHAHA Really?? Wow I cannot believe they would recognize you from a chat room! Sheesh. *Wonders how they would know*

Well, there aren't very many leadership platoons and there aren't very many females on each platoon and then anyone who has read my posts knows I have long blonde hair, so...it probably wouldn't be too hard to figure it out if you were paying attention. I found it kind of funny actually. About a month into the course, I found out that two of my platoon mates were people I had 'spoken to' on this site. It blew my mind. lol

Yikes doesnt sound fun, did you get all that pain from training?? :eek: although that wouldnt really surprise me, that sucks.

Yep, I did. I had thought I was in pretty good shape when I went, but I was not prepared for a lot of the physical tasks. My arm pain was due primarily to a week of weapons handling, but I also had an 'incident' with the no. 9 on the confidence course. My back pain was due mainly to the ruck sack...way heavier than I imagined it would be with so much stuff packed in it, so rucking was hard and so was going up and down the stairs with a ruck sack and PT bag. Some of the guys helped me out whenever they could, but there was only so much they could do for me. On one of our marches, for example, I was having a rough time (had a bad chest cold and was having terrible pain in my back) and my fire team partner wanted to carry my rifle for me to help me out, but the DS wouldn't allow it. Anyway, I hope I can work on my upper body strength a bit more this time around, knowing what is ahead.

Well I am glad to hear you are back at it, you will do GREAT the second time=P Platoon Queen, hehhe.

Well, I certainly hope so. :) Perhaps I will see you there, TA. You never know. ;)

Perhaps you will see me there, the one with the looooong red...er reddish hair. Yes that IS me in the profile pic=P

I noticed on my list to bring to BMQ it doesn't say thread for putting my name on everything, so do we have to bring sewing tread?

Hi i was wondering
For push ups Do women get to do women push ups? or so women have to do men push ups? lol just wondering

Amy.2006 said:
I noticed on my list to bring to BMQ it doesn't say thread for putting my name on everything, so do we have to bring sewing tread?

It doesn't say thread specifically but I do believe it says 'Sewing Kit'.

From the CFLRS ST. JEAN website:

Annex D part 1 - Civilian Clothing List

Personal Items Men And Women Quantity

Plastic soap dish, same color as toothbrush case 1
Plastic toothbrush case, same color as soap dish 1
Toothpaste 1
Mouth wash, max size 750ml 1
Dental floss 1
Non disposable razor with blades 1
Shaving cream or gel, can 1
Deodorant 1
Shampoo, max size 750ml 1
Laundry detergent, max size 2 Liters either liquid or powder 1
Civilian sports clothing (shorts, bathing suit, T-shirts) 1 set
Inexpensive watch 1
Shower sandals 1 pair
Lint brush 1
Alarm clock 1
Facecloth, hand towel and bath towel, dark color 1
Iron 1
Wide belt 1
Photo in picture frame, 5"X 7" 1

Optionnal Items Quantity

Hair dryer 1
Letter paper 

Note: The majority of these articles can be purchased at the Canex at your expense.

Civilian Clothing Women 

Sufficient quantity for four days 
Seasonal jacket 
Dresses, skirts (under knee) or casual dress pants 
Casual blouses (minimum 2 cm collar - no "low-cut" or transparent blouses) 
Pantyhose, bras, sports bras, nylons 
Casual sweaters 
Casual dress shoes (high heels or platform shoes not permitted) 
Underwear (cotton) 
Bathing suit (1 piece) provided by QM 
Sports socks (cotton) 
Running shoes 
Sneakers (non marking soles) 
T-shirts for sport 
Sport short 
Hygienic products 
Towels (face cloth and bath towel)

The following is a list of material that will be purchased upon arrival of the candidate at the Canex in St-Jean Garrison.

Other Items (Available at the Canex Saint-Jean at your expense) 

Shoe shine kit:
•Kiwi cloths (2)
•Black Kiwi shoe polish (one large and one small tin)
•Boot brushes (2) (soft and stiff)
•Case or bag for shoe shine items

Four combination padlocks 
Boot bands (2 pairs) 
18 to 20 plastic hangers (same style and colour) 
Hair net (for women, if required) 

Amy.2006 said:
Hi i was wondering
For push ups Do women get to do women push ups? or so women have to do men push ups? lol just wondering

There are no "women" push-ups in basic training. We all do the same kind of push-ups and the PSP staff is pretty particular about form. Check out the CFLRS website and look at the video regarding fitness testing. You will see the proper form there.

Amy.2006 said:

Nfld Sapper is right...you will get a sewing kit with your military kit. However, I do recommend bringing some medical tape for labelling. We never seemed to have enough of the stuff. I plan to bring a few rolls with me next time!

These are all such excellent tips everyone - thanks for sharing!  ;D

Tulach Ard said:
Perhaps you will see me there, the one with the looooong red...er reddish hair. Yes that IS me in the profile pic=P

Yeah, I'll be the one wearing the "just shoot me" sign.  :blotto:  lol

Sewing kit is provided, although there aren't any scissors in it.  Walmart sells a small fold up scissors that is very useful, esp since you aren't allowed to burn threads anymore.  An extra spool of white thread is handy to have.  Buy a waterproof Sharpie for marking your kit as the marking pens they provide fades very quickly.

Good2Go said:
Buy a waterproof Sharpie for marking your kit as the marking pens they provide fades very quickly.

Marking pens??  We had to use sew on name tapes!  :mad:  Guess times have changed.  ;)

Back