• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

BrianC1984 said:
Nope....I dont have an account. what do u suggest?

First I would suggest that you learn how to SPELL and also use correct grammar and sentence structure.  If you can't spell it, you can't search it. 

PS:  Time to read Army.ca Conduct Guidelines as you seemed to have missed that part when you registered.  Pay particular attention to the points on "use of correct English, spelling and grammar" and "use of MSN speech not welcome here".

Second:  If you do not have a DWAN account, then you are out of luck.  Get one.  Then get the permissions to access the proper site that has the info.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Are you already in? If so I can move your question to the proper area.

Der P: I would assume that he is in if he is going on his 3's in a week.  Could you please move this thread to Air Force Support Trades.  Thanks!

BrianC1984 said:
Nope....I dont have an account. what do u suggest?

Don't worry about an account.  There is no need for you to have one for the course.  Anything required will be provided once you get there.  When you report to your first unit after your course, you will do all of the paperwork for one then.

In the meantime, check out the Airforce Support Trades board on the site here.  There are lots of threads on AC Op including your 3's course and life at CFSACO.  If you think of a question that has not already been posted and answered, please feel free to ask and I should be able to help you out.

I won't worry about getting an account. I'm already in, just waiting to go on course. I was just scratching my head about this CFSACO website. In the package I recieved it does say on page 2 that both exams are available at the site. Sorry about my spelling and grammar...didn't mean to offend anyone.

BrianC1984 said:
I was just scratching my head about this CFSACO website.

From the CFSACO site:

The pre-course practice exam is comprised of fourteen (14) parts and four (4) diagrams and is based on the Aerospace Operator (Aero Op 169) pre-course study package, verbatim.

Attached are the 2 practice exams.

I'll see you there on the 13th Brian. Do not forget about completing the candidate questionnaire with the appropriate signatures (USS, Med Records/Officer) and faxing it in ;)

Ensure you have material memorized. From what I took in during my day of OJT, was to goto course with the study package memorized and it will make the long hours in the sims go smoother. After all, the onus is on you ;)

That leads me to my next challenge, Candidate Questionnaire. I do not have access to DIN. This questionnaire they require submitted by Jan 5th is going to be a bit tricky to get my hands on. Any suggestions as how to approach this problem? I've already emailed the course director, but have not received a response.

BrianC1984 said:
That leads me to my next challenge, Candidate Questionnaire. I do not have access to DIN. This questionnaire they require submitted by Jan 5th is going to be a bit tricky to get my hands on. Any suggestions as how to approach this problem? I've already emailed the course director, but have not received a response.

Print off the questionnaire and fill it out.  Bring it with you in order to hand in to the Staff on the first day of your Course or during your Inclearance.  In many cases, these questionnaires and biographies are collected on the first day of the Course and placed in your Student File.  In some cases they are only a means to get you into the frame of mind to learn the subject matter of the Course, and may not be anything more than a Training Aid that does not need to be handed in.        Hopefully you will get a satisfactory reply to your email to further clarify your questions.

Thanks for a bit of clarification. I just want all my ducks in a row, I'm not looking for any trouble.

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some help. I am going to put my application into the Forces for the AC op. Does anyone know if there are any books that may help me before i even get to BMQ? I have read some threads and it sounds like there is a lot of memorization needed. I ordered some Air Traffic Control books off amazon but they are for the USA, i'm not sure if these will actually help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :cdn:

Hi there,

I was hoping I could get some help. I am going to put my application into the Forces for the AC op. Does anyone know if there are any books that may help me before i even get to BMQ? I have read some threads and it sounds like there is a lot of memorization needed. I ordered some Air Traffic Control books off amazon but they are for the USA, i'm not sure if these will actually help.

Thank you

Little T said:
Hi there,

Thank you

First, there is no need to post the same question in multiple locations.  It will only confuse people who are searching for specifics later on.  Be patient, and your question will usually be answered.

Next, there is no requirement for the books that you ordered.  The officer side of the trade (AEC) are the ones who are the controllers.  If you read through this sub-board, you will find numerous threads on both AC Op and AEC.  If you wish to read more about what you will be learning on your QL3 as an AC Op, look towards the end of this thread; there are some documents attached to it that are a pre-study package.

I do not recommend that you start studying prior to your BMQ.  You will have ample time to prepare prior to your QL3 course.  For now, use the information you find on this board to give you some background on the trade and determine if it is right for you.  After that, concentrate on your application, enrollment, and completion of BMQ.

Thank you, i wasnt trying to be rude or pushy. I am new to this. I apologize. I did find those threads before.....

Have a great day!

Quick update on the course. We are almost done Air Defense, and Friday is PC(aka practical exam) day. All those years of playing video games have paid off handsomely  ;D ATC starts next week!

The accommodations here at CFSACO really are that good. The food? Not so much if you're into healthy eating and like a bit of variety. All in all though a really positive experience so far with a great bunch of people. 

Another question, can I get some info on the standard work week that AC OPs have when posted to let's say Comox for example. Thanks for the help.

willellis said:
Another question, can I get some info on the standard work week that AC OPs have when posted to let's say Comox for example. Thanks for the help.

Each location that an AC Op is posted to is different.  They will be similar (in so far as the job that you do), but a "standard" work week will vary by Wing.  As well, if you are working on the ATC side vice the AD side, you will also have different work weeks.

Are you asking due to the possible intent of a remuster?  I know there are more threads within this board that list particulars on QL3 and what to expect afterward, including a list of potential postings. 

I can't answer for Comox specifically, but if you have any other questions after reading through the other posts, feel free to ask.

Thanks so much airmich. That was exactly the info I was looking for. Just to clarify, I work mon to fri 8-3 and at sea, 5 on 5 off 7 on 7 off. Is that still the same that you were referring to? It's for my friend who just joined the forces. He is in BMQ right now as an AC OP. He is really stoked and wantEd to know more about the work schedule. I think the trade is a great move for him. Also what is the regular schedule for after 3s until the 4s and 5s? Thanks for your help.

willellis said:
Thanks so much airmich. That was exactly the info I was looking for. Just to clarify, I work mon to fri 8-3 and at sea, 5 on 5 off 7 on 7 off. Is that still the same that you were referring to? It's for my friend who just joined the forces. He is in BMQ right now as an AC OP. He is really stoked and wantEd to know more about the work schedule. I think the trade is a great move for him. Also what is the regular schedule for after 3s until the 4s and 5s? Thanks for your help.

As I mentioned previously, I can't speak for the ATC side.  If you are AD in North Bay, the current shift schedule is 7 days on 3 days off 7 days on 4 days off.  In your 7 days on you work 3 or 4 day shifts (0630-1430) then 3 or 4 eves (1430-2230) or mids (2230-0630).  Within those 7 days, you typically get one off as a stand-by (meaning that you need to be ready to report into work within 1/2 hour, but you are rarely called in).  Shifts will be changing in April, but I will believe it when it actually happens and will post the new hours if they do.

There is no 4's.  For your 5's, if you are ATC, you will be required to go back to Cornwall for either a ground or PAR course.  If you are AD, your 5's is conducted by distance learning while you remain on crew.

I applied for AEC this year but it isn't opening for applicants that aren't already skilled. The recruiting centre is suggesting I go in as an AC OP and then consider remustering to AEC when the training is available. I was told by another RC that I would have to wait 5 years before I could OT and I would have to be fully trained and qualified as an AC OP before remustering. I am wondering if anyone has made the transition, if so how easy/hard was it, did it take a long time before you could OT? ETC.

I'm concerned I would be wasting my time going in as an ncm since I do want to be an officer and I have my degree. I don't want to get stuck. However the sooner I get in the sooner I get some pensionable time under my belt. If I went in now though I would start over in rank once I moved to officer, but if I wait until next year it's possible AEC won't open again, and then I will have wasted another year.

Back