• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Engineer ( AERE )

tyoung said:
  Are the international deployments so sought after that you would volunteer for them?

Yes...Why wouldnt they ?

Again, if you have no desire to ever go overseas, i provided you with the Air canada link.  Perhaps WalMart is more in order ?

tyoung said:
Wow I didnt realise i would start such a contreversy.  Anyways I dont know where you guys got that im doing civil?  Im currently completeing my mechanical degree at Mcmaster.  To clarify most new AERE are stationed in a supervisor role at an air wing?  Sorry but i kinda got lost in the arguments.  I do have another question though (sorry to keep harping on the overseas bit).  Are the international deployments so sought after that you would volunteer for them?

Thanks again

Mech Eng would be very suitable for AERE.  Also, there is person on the current course that has a civil degree, for those who have a civil eng degree, so I stand corrected.  No, most new AEREs are not stationed in a supervisor role at an air wing.  As I stated before, the amount of personnel posted (stationed) to an operational unit varies each year depending on if one of the positions at it becomes vacant.  There is a mix of positions that you could get posted to, including operations, staff, pure engineering, or other.  I already gave different types of jobs in one of my responses.
Yes, the international deployments are highly sought after that a person would volunteer for them.  I personally volunteered 6 plus times and so far, no luck.  Either cirumstances out of my control happened (like position being cancelled) or my current unit would not let me go since manning is short at it.  Please remember, this is the military and if your superior tells you that you are going, then you are going.  That being said, most deployments will want volunteers, which are not in short supply.

Sorry about the earlier hijack and I hope this puts the thread back on track.

How does aircraft affiliation work for AERE anyways? I know nothing about the a/c in the CF other than the fact that they fly (insert appropriate joke here), but obviously a herc is going to be quite different from an f-18 from a sea king.. Again, I know AEREs don't turn the wrenches or anything, but do you get assigned a specialty (fixed wing, turboprop, rotary wing, etc), or do you rotate through to get experience on all the different a/c types we employ? I suppose my question is: once you're in, do you stick with one a/c type for your career (or most of it), or can you change a/c types with each posting?

Feral,

you don't necessarily get assigned a particular a/c for your entire career.  You can go from one a/c type to another, but this usually will involve going to a different type of job rather than another operational one. 
For the first time, the current course of AEREs are assigned an a/c type and all will hopefully be posted to an operational unit that has their type of a/c.  However, this does not mean that they will be stuck on that type of a/c.
AEREs rotate or get posted to other units not based on getting experience on different types of a/c, but rather on different types of jobs.  For instance, I'm currently not at a unit that flys anything (school for AEREs), but I was previously at a unit that flew Griffons.  I hope to go to a staff position next in Kingston at 1 Wg HQ.  Unfortunately, I probably won't get back to an operational unit unless I'm promoted to Major.  There aren't that many operational positions out there as our Air Force is relatively small as compared to other countries like the States, etc.

Well, it looks like it will be an interesting time for AEREs with the new air equipment being purchased..

I found that for officer post graduate work, it seems that a higher proportion of the positions are open to AEREs. Do you find that the trade has a higher number of pers with post-grad degrees?

AERE is a good trade to be in if you want to do your post-grad.  In fact, not all openings (offers for post grad) are filled each year.  It is encouraged to get your post grad, but is not mandatory for promotion to Maj.  I think that there are more AEREs with post grads than before, but I wouldn't say that everyone is rushing to do them.  Also, it does seem like there are a large number of starts offered to AEREs, but AEREs do so many different jobs.  That's why I think there are so many offers.
I may do mine eventually, but I'm not interested at this point.  I want to go on a tour more than doing my post-grad.  Perhaps if I'm lucky and go on one, I may change my mind when I get back.

Thanks for all your help guys.  I'm looking forward to starting the recruitment process(next fall).  Another question though, do any of you guys know whether or not AERE are short staffed right now?  Like I said I'm not quite at the point of joining but I'm still curious.  Thanks again.

AERE is pretty strong right now.  Probably a little under strength, but not that much.

I've just got a questin that maybe some of you could answer for me....I ended up joining the army reserves this year when my application to the ROTP program didn't turn out right....I applied to go to a civi university and become an AERE....instead I ended up having them want to send me to RMC to get a hard sciences degree to become an airfield engineer....I turned them down due to personal reasons and the fact that I had received in total 1800$ in scholarships for the U of M....anyways I was just wondering cause I want to re-apply this year what my chances would be that I would receive an AERE position at a civi university if I am starting University this fall?...I would really appreciate any insight that any AERE officers could give me....Thank you

Kristin,

I would go ahead and apply for doing AERE at the civy u.  They will pay for your remaining years if accepted.  It would be ROTP, but just through a civy U.  Go for it.  It can't hurt to try.

Hi, I want To be a Aero Eng because i am good with tech math and science. Also have a great knowledge of aircraft engines from my Grandfather who is a civilian Aerospace Eng. Where are the postings for this job? are there any in Halifax where i live? Also how long is training before my first posting?. Also would i actually fix things on the aircraft or just sit back and watch the techs do it?

Have you read the information for each specific job on www.forces.ca ? All the questions you have are quickly explained in the job fact sheet as well as the accompanying video for the trade.

As well as regarding the Halifax posting, there's a chance you may be around Shearwater or Greenwood, but again, there's a chance you could end up in Cold Lake or Comox for your first posting. Generally the advice given on this website regarding possible postings is if you can't really handle being away from home, the military is not the best choice for you.

No i can handle it its just to be home would be easier but i wouldn't care where in Canada i was posted. thanks for the help all check it out

PointZero said:
Also would i actually fix things on the aircraft

No.

or just sit back and watch the techs do it?

if posted to a line squadron or maintenance squadron, you will oversee the work done by technicians and lead that organization. That being said, i know many AERE officers who do not supervise technicians either. they work in various project development organization.

Also what is the name for the job of a flight engineer. Cause there is no flight engineer on the cf website?

Flight engineer - it's not there because it's generally a remuster trade.  It's also an NCM trade, not officer.

MM

H,
does anyone know what streams are available for AERE and what locations are available?
Thanks

Typical for  ROTP's:

AERE Orientation Course (AOC)- 1 week in Trenton
AERE Phase Trg 2- 2nd summer break at an operational unit job shadowing at the technician level
AERE Phase Trg 3- 3rd summer break at an operational unit job shadowing at the Senior NCO level
AERE Officer Basic Crse Part 1 (CFSATE Borden) Aug- Sep
AERE Phase Trg 4- (Sep - Jan) at an operational unit job shadowing at the Maintenance Officer level
AERE Officer Basic Crse Part 2 (CFSATE Borden) Jan - May
Now you will be AERE qualified and start your first tour at either an operational unit (ideally one where you did your AERE Phase Trg) as a Maintenance Officer, or in a Engineering Management/Engineering Support role, usually in Ottawa. This could be in support of a fleet (ideally the same fleet that you did your AERE Phase Trg on) or perhaps in a Project Office, for instance: the Project Management Office (PMO) for the acquisition of a new fleet such as Fixed Wing Search & Rescue planes.

This is a "typical" pattern; however, there are many unique situations...

So, basically you have two "streams" of employment: Maintenance Ops or EM/ES.

Maint Ops locations are to be found at any of the CF Air Wings and EM/ES predominately in the NCR region of Ottawa.

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to tag this in for people who bring it up on an AERE search.  AERE officers are rarely on the floor....  they are not supervising maintenance in any practical fashion and they don't sign for or inspect work.  In most cases as the operational level, we need them for imposing operational restrictions on aircraft, signing off FOD checks and things like that.  It's administrative work, with accompanying airworthiness responsibilities.  It's a good trade, with lots of opportunity for interesting work.

Just so folks who are looking at the trade are aware that you won't be out on airframes supervising and directing maintenance.  The odd time they hit the floor is when something unusual happens and they are getting info to pass on to higher authority, or they get bored and just want to come out and chat for a bit and see what's up. 

its been 3 yeears now i have been trying to get in to AERE, but i just got answer today that my CT from primary reserves to REgF as AERE did not go through as there were only two openings do you guys know if its better for me to walk out of CF reserves and come back RegF? please I am eager.....

Back