• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

affixing cap-badge

• Thread starter Thread starter P Kaye
  • Start date Start date
P

P Kaye

This will seem like a very silly naive question.  But better to ask such questions here than to embarras myself at my new unit ;)
I was previously in a highland unit and we had Balmorals with big metal cap-badges.  Now I've transferred to a unit that wears Barrets.
QUESTION: when affixing the cloth wire-embroidered cap-badge to the barret, is it best to sew it on, or is there some other method that works better?
I would have assumed to just sew it on, but the thick cardboard insert at the front of the barret where the capbadge goes makes me wonder how easy it would be to sew on.

Sewn on. Use a machine, it looks better than uneven stitches that are made when you hand sew something.

But can a sewing-machine needle punch through that thick peice of cardboard without breaking???

Sure, I think it's actually leather. I usually cut mine down to the shape of the badge and it doesn't look like cardboard when you cut it. I've had numerous berets get cap badges sewn on, never had a problem.

Back