• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

From public flight trackers, one of our C-17s is inbound to Kabul right now. Hopefully tomorrow we get a sense of what kinds of numbers are making it out.

So are the waist sizes on the older guys in the front rank :)

That's nothing. ISIS had their own Jabba the Hutt. Putting the "fat" in fatwa.
VP-COMP-FAT-ISIS-2.jpg

... "The applicant must demonstrate that: the threat is directly related to the individual's support of the Canadian mission in Kandahar, or directly related to an immediate family member's support of the Canadian mission in Kandahar; and the threat is greater than the level of risk faced by the many others working for the Canadian government in Kandahar province in general." ...

That is, indeed, a great example of blatant weasel-wording. Which means some dickhead with the authority to word, approve/disapprove, or implement this actually thought to himself "How can I word this in such a way to be so specific that we can turn away most of the people who apply?" Either that, or completely out of touch with reality of life in Afghanistan. (Probably both.)

- How does one demonstrate that threats being made against them are directly related to their support of our mission? (We just acknowledged, right in the wording, that they supported our mission. So why are we making them jump through student hoops?)

- I can easily see government officials/authorities rebutting that 'while this individual is being threatened, or has been attacked, there is no direct evidence that it is because they supported our mission' - and using the wording to turn them away.

- The 'many others' working for the Canadian government in Kandahar, at that time, were members of the CAF, a few members of the RCMP, and a few people from Global Affairs. All Canadian citizens, working for the Canadian government as employees who were deployed, paid a salary, and had a fairly predictable return date. None of whom faced direct reprisals against themselves or their families here in Canada. (So this point is pretty f**king moot...)

From public flight trackers, one of our C-17s is inbound to Kabul right now. Hopefully tomorrow we get a sense of what kinds of numbers are making it out.
Which site(s) do you use?

Not sure if any of you have watched this but I think this guy is spot on.

I’ve been using flightradar24, as well as following OSINT needs on Twitter who keep stranger hours than I do.

I can see things taking a turn for the worse over this weekend. As more time goes on the ripple effect of all those thousands of monied westerners not being around to pay their support staff, eat at restaurants, have their clothes cleaned, houses/apartments cleaned, etc, etc means no income for thousands of Kabulis, which in turn means no food in mouth. All those hotels and such will have no revenue coming in, all their staff will be laid off at best or they've already been looted because all the Sr. Mgmt has fled, so many other similar scenario's being played out.
Its going to be ugly by 31 August when the US is set to wrap up evacuations in Kabul. In fact it might not even last that long....

I can see things taking a turn for the worse over this weekend. As more time goes on the ripple effect of all those thousands of monied westerners not being around to pay their support staff, eat at restaurants, have their clothes cleaned, houses/apartments cleaned, etc, etc means no income for thousands of Kabulis, which in turn means no food in mouth. All those hotels and such will have no revenue coming in, all their staff will be laid off at best or they've already been looted because all the Sr. Mgmt has fled, so many other similar scenario's being played out.
Its going to be ugly by 31 August when the US is set to wrap up evacuations in Kabul. In fact it might not even last that long....
And the NGOs working in the region...

Lets not forget the IMF and most every other financial institution will all but certainly cease sending money to Afghanistan.

Not sure the taliban care about that, but the economy of afghanistan, especially kabul is about to get hammered.

This is not going to go well. I have a very jaundiced view of the Taliban - and I don't think the line "we've changed " bullshit will last beyond the last plane out of Kabul.,

This is not going to go well. I have a very jaundiced view of the Taliban - and I don't think the line "we've changed " bullshit will last beyond the last plane out of Kabul.,

Now, now... you just have no appreciation for the way they interpret and apply Sharia Law. For example, what should you do when the cooking is awful?

Woman set on fire by Taliban after she's accused of 'bad cooking' in Afghanistan

Former Afghan judge Najla Ayoubi, the chief of the coalition and global programmes at Every Woman Treaty which campaigns to end violence against women, said women in Afghanistan have told her about the extreme violence they are facing.

Speaking to Sky News, she said a woman told her she "put on fire because she was accused of bad cooking for Taliban fighters".

The lawyer added: "They are forcing people to give them food and cook them food.

Now, now... you just have no appreciation for the way they interpret and apply Sharia Law. For example, what should you do when the cooking is awful?

Woman set on fire by Taliban after she's accused of 'bad cooking' in Afghanistan

Former Afghan judge Najla Ayoubi, the chief of the coalition and global programmes at Every Woman Treaty which campaigns to end violence against women, said women in Afghanistan have told her about the extreme violence they are facing.

Speaking to Sky News, she said a woman told her she "put on fire because she was accused of bad cooking for Taliban fighters".

The lawyer added: "They are forcing people to give them food and cook them food.

I still thinking shooting Taliban fighters in the face or centre of visible mass is the proper solution. Or am I being to judgy?

Reports are they're going door to door now looking for NATO collaborators.

Back