• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

And reports of CAN SOF are out there now via officials speaking on background ...
Specifically (quote from CBC piece) ...
... "In order to respond to questions about our efforts on the ground inside and outside of [Hamid Karzai International Airport], the CAF has made the decision to disclose that Canada's special operations forces have been and continue to work outside the confines of HKIA," a government official said on background.

"Members of Canada's special operations forces are working relentlessly to bring as many Canadian citizens and eligible Afghan nationals and their families through the security gates to waiting aircrafts," the official said during a briefing for journalists Monday ...
That said, RUS state media is reporting that the AFG civil aviation authority's calling the Kabul airport closed - here's the authority's FB post (posted last night) in Persian/Farsi. Google translation below
As you know, all flights at Hamid Karzai International Airport are suspended until further notice; Therefore, passengers and compatriots who intend to travel to the provinces or abroad from this airport are informed that until the beginning of the flights, you will not normally arrive at the airport to avoid congestion and misfortune. The Civil Aviation Authority is working on a regular procedure and is trying to start the process of resuming flights in the domestic and foreign sectors. It is worth mentioning that those who have documents for legal travel will be contacted by the relevant institutions to travel abroad.

Is the aviation authority’s posts intended for civilian flights? Or is this being applied to all flights?

Is the aviation authority’s posts intended for civilian flights? Or is this being applied to all flights?
Don't know enough about the authority itself, so given the "civil" in the name, I'll go with civilian flights only right this second - happy to be corrected, though.

To be fair, there hasn't been a peep about CANSOF elements deployed, or what they have been up to. As we all know, JTF2 is notoriously secretive about their operations, as is CSOR (minus some of their training partnerships, which they have been more public about.)

Just because we hear about British and French SOF elements going into the city to rescue people, doesn't mean CANSOF hasn't been doing the same - perhaps even a day or two before the British & French started doing so. <hint hint>

Some of JTF2's finest moments - successful operations that we as a nation are immensely proud of, and that the international SOF community is in absolute admiration of - have only come to light years after they happened. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if those types of things are also occurring now, during all of this.

Seems like they are working outside of the airport.

No idea in what capacity, but like you said, we probably are not meant to know.

Seems like they are working outside of the airport.

No idea in what capacity, but like you said, we probably are not meant to know.
I'll be 100% happy if they continue doing what they're doing and we never hear another word about it for years to come. Quietly go about their business, get out as many as we can and then call it a day. Achieving this strengthens their ability at the end of the day to maintain, increase their funding/numbers so that the next time the shit hits the fan on a far more serious level, they will be ready and have all that they need to get the job done again.

Honestly I’d prefer this wasn’t made public. Shadow warriors work best in the shadows.
Having said that I certainly hope that they can evacuate all they can and return home safely.

Honestly I’d prefer this wasn’t made public. Shadow warriors work best in the shadows.
Yes, problem being that people were assuming CAF members were not doing anything.

This board is more knowledgeable about military matters than most, and reading back the same assumptions were being made.

Having said that I certainly hope that they can evacuate all they can and return home safely.
I bet that the Taliban is well aware of who is out and about.

Yes, problem being that people were assuming CAF members were not doing anything.

This board is more knowledgeable about military matters than most, and reading back the same assumptions were being made.

Never underestimate the power of public opinion to help remove some roadblocks for troops on the ground.

It's a double edged sword, of course, but can be wildly helpful nonetheless. Especially during an election campaign.

Never underestimate the power of public opinion to help remove some roadblocks for troops on the ground.

It's a double edged sword, of course, but can be wildly helpful nonetheless. Especially during an election campaign.
not sure if anything changed or if they just decided to disclose it.

In order to respond to questions about efforts by Canadian Armed Forces on the ground inside and outside Hamid Karzai International Airport (HKIA), the decision was made "to disclose that Canada's special operations forces have been and continue to work outside the confines of HKIA," a government official said on background.

Interesting developments - from this AUS media piece:
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid says the Taliban are no longer allowing Afghan nationals* to go to Kabul airport because of the chaotic situation there. At a news conference, he said crowds at the airport should go home and their security would be guaranteed ... “We ask the Americans,” he said. “Don’t encourage Afghans to leave … We need their talent.” ...
... US Central Intelligence Agency chief William Burns held a secret meeting in Kabul with Taliban co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, according to the Washington Post. The Monday meeting, which if confirmed will have been the highest-level encounter between the Islamist group and the Biden administration since the militants’ return to power, came as efforts to evacuate thousands of people from Taliban-controlled Afghanistan became increasingly urgent ... The Washington Post, which cited anonymous US sources for the meeting, did not the content of the discussions between the Taliban co-founder and the CIA boss ...
* - PAK media is reporting foreigners are being allowed into the airport

Anyone know anything about this 'buffer zone' where some Afghan special forces are between the Tally and us? Do you think that the plan (incentive for these guys to hold in place) is to bring these guys out on the last few planes?

Also, I find it fascinating that Karzai is still in Kabul. Gotta wonder if the plan is a helo snatch and grab for him at the very end as well. I can't imagine him (and his daughters) wanting to stay behind and start living in the 7th century again.

Anyone know anything about this 'buffer zone' where some Afghan special forces are between the Tally and us? Do you think that the plan (incentive for these guys to hold in place) is to bring these guys out on the last few planes?

Also, I find it fascinating that Karzai is still in Kabul. Gotta wonder if the plan is a helo snatch and grab for him at the very end as well. I can't imagine him (and his daughters) wanting to stay behind and start living in the 7th century again.
I think Karzai is going to stay good or bad. He is on record saying he wasn't going to run away.

That said, I think his days are numbered. Once the taliban disarm your security and take it over, you are living the last days of the Romanovs in Yekaterinburg

I think Karzai is going to stay good or bad. He is on record saying he wasn't going to run away.

That said, I think his days are numbered. Once the taliban disarm your security and take it over, you are living the last days of the Romanovs in Yekaterinburg
I feel for his daughters and wife

I seem to recall the libs trying to force the conservative government into revealing the presence of the American Embassy staff in our embassy in Tehran. Seems they make a habit of blabbing
Were you not one of the people being critical for them supposedly not going outside the wire?

and they were planning in advance and working in advance. What a contrast to the 'so-called' leaders on this side of the Atlantic

Were you not one of the people being critical for them supposedly not going outside the wire?
The comment was with regards to the government blabbing about our troops efforts implying that they have put a great deal of effort into our response. Previous remarks were regarding the yanks operations and there are plenty of others who have been watching with raised eyebrows. The two thoughts are not related.

Back