• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

Just saw this breaking on the G&M site but I don’t have access past the paywall. Can anybody shed more info on this?

Canadian special forces appear to ignore Afghans with exit documents at Kabul airport, video shows​

Just saw this breaking on the G&M site but I don’t have access past the paywall. Can anybody shed more info on this?

Canadian special forces appear to ignore Afghans with exit documents at Kabul airport, video shows​

Copy of the article attached to share for the purpose of research, private study and education IAW the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act.

I'd be careful about reading too much into this right this second, given we can't see exactly what's on the screens being shown or whether the documentation is even complete. Could be anyone showing anything. #CaveatLector

Also, this from the latest version of the story @ that link:
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canada will have to withdraw its special forces soldiers and halt rescue flights at the Kabul airport within days as the August 31 deadline for the pullout of American soldiers is rapidly approaching.

Mr. Sajjan told a media briefing Wednesday that U.S. Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin has made it clear to Canada and other allies involved in the evaluation mission in Afghanistan that they will have to leave Hamid Karzai International Airport before U.S. forces depart at the end of the month.

“Drawing down takes considerable time. It is not done overnight and comes with significant risk. As the Americans finalize their drawdown to meet their deadline, partners nations including Canada must draw down our troops, assets and aircraft ahead of the Americans,” Mr. Sajjan said. “These moves are necessary for the US to safely maintain control of the airport until their depart.” ...

Attachments

• theglobeandmail.com-Canada to stop Kabul rescue flights ahead of US Aug 31 deadline as special...pdf
    354.8 KB · Views: 4
Copy of the article attached to share for the purpose of research, private study and education IAW the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act.

I'd be careful about reading too much into this right this second, given we can't see exactly what's on the screens being shown or whether the documentation is even complete. Could be anyone showing anything. #CaveatLector

Also, this from the latest version of the story @ that link:
Truly hope that this article is inaccurate or this is not good news. I hope that its not a case of, 'we have this many flights left over X-days and we still have Y-many Canadian citizens or perm. res. to get out, as a result we are only taking these people first and then and only then, if we have space available on the remaining flights we'll take out the others..'

A bit more nuance ...
Security screeners at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar have detected that at least one of the Afghans who was evacuated from Kabul Airport has potential ties to ISIS, a U.S. official confirmed to Defense One.

Moreover, the Defense Department’s Automated Biometric Identification System has flagged up to 100 of the 7,000 Afghans evacuated as prospective recipients of Special Immigration Visas as potential matches to intelligence agency watch lists, a second official said ...
Meanwhile, howzitt going in Qatar?

Seeing this on CNN -

"
On Tuesday, as he confirmed his decision not to extend the evacuation deadline beyond August 31, President Joe Biden acknowledged the growing threat that the group poses to the airport.
"Every day we're on the ground is another day we know that ISIS-K is seeking to target the airport and attack both US and allied forces and innocent civilians," the President said.
As a result, the Biden administration is in touch with US allies about securing the Kabul airport and efforts to keep it up and running, a senior State Department official said Wednesday. It is unclear if there will be any agreement to keep the airport open by the time the US military leaves."

The situation is deteriorating rapidly IMO. This has the potential to be a huge human tragedy - hell it already is. It could get worse.

Couldn't the Taliban just fly drones into the jet engines?

Why waste drones? Bag of nuts and bolts, big enough balloon...passive kill/damage system.

Lasers too (they were using them on coalition aircraft...usually out of Camel City near ASAB during IMPACT)...MANPADs are way more expensive than "bolt balloons and a few tracers".

If they have MANPADs, they'll keep 'em. They're like a junkyard dog...never really sure where they are, so you have to assume they're everywhere in the junkyard. They'll want them for...the future.

Seeing a lot of articles on Minister Monef and the "our brothers" comment...

Last edited:
Note to Team Red: when the Toronto Star editorial board says it's time to step up ... (highlights mine)
... it’s obvious that the Afghanistan crisis has emerged as a trip wire for Trudeau, one that’s becoming more barbed with each passing moment. A month has passed since the government backtracked on its ill-considered 72-hour deadline for Afghan interpreters and others who worked in support of Canadians to file resettlement paperwork. That shemozzle revealed wonky bureaucracy at work.

And it was a signal to Trudeau to prioritize the Afghan file. This he has failed to do.

(...)

The remedy would be for Trudeau to get off the campaign trail and high tail it back to Ottawa. The next 48 hours will be crucial to the outcome of the Afghanistan crisis. Getting updates, as the prime minister calls them, as he travels through Hamilton, or Winnipeg or Surrey, B.C., releasing the Liberal platform drip by drip, is not the mien of a seasoned G7 leader.
Text also attached, under Fair Dealing terms of Canada's Copyright Act, if link doesn't work.

Attachments

• webcache.googleusercontent.com-As the evacuation window closes Trudeau should focus on the Afg...pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 4
I heard General Eyre on the radio - the fucking politicians let him and the CAF dangle in the wind. Where is the PM? Where is the MND? Oh I forgot its election time!!! (sarcasm intended), THE WORST GOVERNMENT I have ever seen in this country.
September 1st the hunt will begin for anyone left who helped NATO, we had a chance to save them, but politics got in the way. Pretty sure if you asked for an all volunteer potential suicide mission to get the remainder out, you would get a battalion or two.

I heard General Eyre on the radio - the fucking politicians let him and the CAF dangle in the wind. Where is the PM? Where is the MND? Oh I forgot its election time!!! (sarcasm intended), THE WORST GOVERNMENT I have ever seen in this country.
I watched his presentation when it was being broadcast live. Maybe it was a message that a PM or minister should have delivered, but Eyre delivered the message that the country needed to hear. He nailed it, and anyone else would have dropped the ball.

I watched his presentation when it was being broadcast live. Maybe it was a message that a PM or minister should have delivered, but Eyre delivered the message that the country needed to hear. He nailed it, and anyone else would have dropped the ball.
I enjoyed a non political press conference

Back