• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Interpreters, Others Fast-tracking to Canada

Good on ex-Minister Bijleveldt, as well.

My father-in-law, who grew up in Nazi-occupied Holland but passed several years ago from cancer, would be proud of his birthland (and probably equally ashamed of his adoptive home here in Canada).
Seek and accept responsibility.

Anyone remember that? When things go to shit the leader is responsible?

Not in Canada. Not in government nor the upper strata of the CAF.

I understand the requirement to evacuate the 440 Canadian citizens.

If they weren’t directly employed by GAC, or an NGO contracted out by us, no idea why the hell they would be there. But, I understand the pressure to get them out.

(Perhaps I’m just getting a bit cold or jaded, but…not employed by our government, or a company contracted by our government? Shouldn’t be there in the first place. 0.02)

The permanent residents? Do we have an obligation to evacuate them also? Again, why on Earth are they even there?

If you left that country due to violence, poverty, danger, war, extremism, etc - and became a permanent resident here in Canada. Why are you there? Especially now? with plenty of notice that friendly forces were packing up.

And their family members? Really?

(I haven’t slept since I woke up at 1pm yesterday, and I haven’t eaten in more than 12hrs. Rough week. Maybe I’m just exhausted and hangry… but it seems like a LOT of people who shouldn’t be there were/are expecting us to evacuate them…)

Solid link & post Bread Guy. My frustration is at the situation, not you. Just to be clear 😅😉

If they weren’t directly employed by GAC, or an NGO contracted out by us,
NGO ≠ contractor

Generally, NGOs are in a country on their own altruistic missions. Lots of Canadians sought employment with NGOs attempting to do good in Afghanistan. None of those Canadians would have necessarily been in Afghanistan under any contractual relation with the Government of Canada.

(I haven’t slept since I woke up at 1pm yesterday, and I haven’t eaten in more than 12hrs. Rough week. Maybe I’m just exhausted and hangry… but it seems like a LOT of people who shouldn’t be there were/are expecting us to evacuate them…)

Solid link & post Bread Guy. My frustration is at the situation, not you. Just to be clear 😅😉
Seen. Like I said before, you did raise a good question - especially given the history of pulling Canadians in a wide range of situations out of Lebanon when things got crappy.

And at least get some food into ya, man :D

Seen. Like I said before, you did raise a good question - especially given the history of pulling Canadians in a wide range of situations out of Lebanon when things got crappy.

And at least get some food into ya, man :D
Had myself a nice big meal from A&W. Then an hour later had myself a slurpee, bag of gummies, ice cream sandwich, and even brought two pieces of pie to bed with me.

Woke up weighing 2 tons, and a Type 4 diabetic. But I’m no longer feeling like a jaded psychopath 😊👍🏻

Had myself a nice big meal from A&W. Then an hour later had myself a slurpee, bag of gummies, ice cream sandwich, and even brought two pieces of pie to bed with me.
The fuel of champions! (y)

Seek and accept responsibility.

Anyone remember that? When things go to shit the leader is responsible?

Not in Canada. Not in government nor the upper strata of the CAF.
I`d like to add to this. It seems I`m not over this.

The CAF - seems to have no problem holding a WO or Sgt responible. I know of a Major who took responsibility for his actions on a range that suffered casualties.

When it comes to senior officers and the like the CAF wants to cover it up, at least until recently.

Rant ends for now

The CAF - seems to have no problem holding a WO or Sgt responible. I know of a Major who took responsibility for his actions on a range that suffered casualties.
…and then demoted for doing the right thing in support of the soldier’s parents. A travesty of institutional cowardice…

"Welcome, asylum seekers .... eventually ...."
Afghan asylum seekers who’ve managed to flee the crisis in Afghanistan after the Taliban took over are complaining that they’re now being passed back and forth between agencies due to the lack of coordination with each other.

Asylum seekers like Gholam Hussain Mohammadi, for instance, say they haven’t even been able to apply for asylum and are stuck in limbo, with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) telling them they have to go through the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), and vice-versa.

Mohammadi, a 28-year-old Afghan and Hazara Shiite who escaped Kabul with his family said he has sent emails to IRCC over and over again, explaining his situation in detail, but has yet to hear back. He strongly criticizes the inconsistency between the IRCC and the UNHCR ...

The death of Cpl Neil Mackinnon, 27 March 1995, in a live-fire exercise at CFB Suffield.

Heroism and cover-up: full truth still not told about soldier's death (Corporal Neil Mackinnon). - Free Online Library
They first blamed the corporal - then they tried to pin the blame on a WO and a Sgt. Then they blamed a major and demoted him.

The blame should have continued on up to CO 1 VP - whom I never had a good feeling about - and Comd 1 CMBG who was - well you all know what he was like.

This still pisses me off.

Interesting Canadian link to this story about AFG's girls' soccer team being evac'ed to Portugal ....
Girls from the Afghanistan national soccer team who were recently granted asylum in Portugal have had a surprise visit from the captain of the senior team.

Farkhunda Muhtaj, a professional player who from her home in Canada spent weeks helping arrange their recent rescue from Afghanistan, flew into the Portuguese capital, Lisbon, for an emotional reunion with the girls’ team late Wednesday.

(...)

The rescue mission, called Operation Soccer Balls, was coordinated with the Taliban through an international coalition of former U.S. military and intelligence officials, U.S. Sen. Chris Coons, U.S. allies, and humanitarian groups, according to Nic McKinley, a CIA and Air Force veteran who founded Dallas-based DeliverFund, a nonprofit that’s secured housing for 50 Afghan families ...
Wonder if any media'll speak to her adventure and how the team ended up in Portugal?

Edited to add: some apparently have.

Last edited:
Back