• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan: Lessons Learned (merged)

boondocksaint

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hiya, been a while since I've checked in. Roughly at the halfway mark on this one and there are a few things that could be added. In no particular order.

- Dry Fire shirts, they're the combat sleeved shirt based on a wicking design t-shirt system. Way more comfortable to wear under all the armor and vests. And has the added bonus of actually moving sweat away from your body. The Brits and the Americans have been using them for a bit, and as per we're behind the times. Our platoon put in a bulk order and have been wearing them when we're out and about. We havent been technically told we cant wear them.....and havent been told not to. A great investment.

- Boots, if you're gonna wear the issued ones, you're going to have feet like a hobbit. Im sure there are folks who havent had a problem with them. BUT invest in your feet, the Brits carry Meindl's at their store on KAF, great boot. Or Swat's for those who like the running shoe feel. Socks, dont cheap out at Wal Mart, you'll do a lot of walking or standing around on cordon. Love your feet they'll love you back.

- M-72's, during your work up training get your hands on them, fire them at structures, not tank targets, and get the lads used to putting them through doors, or cornering a door. The " Canadian RPG " is a feared beast on the battlefield here, I love them.

Gunfighter- Do the basic version. AND THEN improvise, we practised doing some funky made up on the fly shooting that was both fun and practical. If the boys arent having fun shooting, they wont learn. Do little competitions to get them moving faster, watch their fine motor skills degenerate and the ones who arent picking it up will be easily spotted. It's all about the gross motor skills in a TIC.

TAC VEST, Tactical Tailor......lie, steal, cheat, take whatever crap comes your way, but if you're gonna be out and about alot, wear what works for you. Try to become part of one of the " Trial Programs " to enable wearing good gear. we did. If your COC wont budge on kit, have a little competition with them wearing issue while you wear the good stuff and do some gunfighter drills. If that does not work, well, go back to-steal, lie, cheat. It will save lives.

more when I can

 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
I just was reminded of a Lesson that we often forget or dismiss.  GARBAGE.  You know....That sand bag of garbage that is hanging off your back fender or turret.  The one you threw your batteries into when you put fresh ones into your NVG's, PLUGR, etc.  That bag often gets torn off in close quarters such as brush, or perhaps a kid grabbed it while you passed in traffic.  Whatever, there are things in there that can be of use to the enemy.  Those batteries weren't dead.  They weren't fully charged; but they weren't dead.  It doesn't take much of a charge to set off an electrical blasting cap.  What else did you put in your garbage?  What potential threat could it create?

Keep your garbage inside.  Don't hang it outside where it will fall off.  Don't give an innovative enemy resources to use against you.
 
C

c4th

Guest
boondocksaint said:
- Dry Fire shirts,...about. We havent been technically told we cant wear them.....and havent been told not to. A great investment.

- Boots, ..., the Brits carry Meindl's at their store on KAF, great boot. Or Swat's for those who like the running shoe feel. Socks, dont cheap out at Wal Mart, you'll do a lot of walking or standing around on cordon. Love your feet they'll love you back.

The deal with the dry fire shirts is the zipper failed the DRDC flash test.  Cut out the zipper and stich up the threads and you are GTG as far as the BG and TFA RSM's are concerned.  I assume the zipper in our pants passed the test.  Maybe the good folks at CP gear can put two and two together and sort this out.  Crew neck as the US has would work too.

Boot:  I wear issued and walk everywhere.  But my feet are old.  Every boot has mixed reviews, and I mean every boot, bought or issued.  Make sure you try them on and are 100% or better happy with what you are going to wear in theatre. 

Stay safe,
 

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
0
We burned all our garbage before rolling out and never had any strapped to our vehicle from what I remember.
 
C

c4th

Guest
George Wallace said:
GARBAGE. 

Without the obvious slight to George that probably got my last post censored:  All arms live this every day in theatre.  The OPSEC briefs are clear, and the CQ's and staff do a fantastic job getting the garbage dealt with in a safe manner.

Thank you for the reminder. 

For those over, stay safe.

TNO
 
C

c4th

Guest
Trust No One said:
Boot:  I wear issued and walk everywhere.... 

I also recommend going to physio before deployment and getting some good insoles.  I did, and after the Major looked at my gait, I was issued two pairs of insoles that are better than anything I could have bought after market.  There is nothing wrong with my feet, but certainly there are benefits to a bit of prevention.

Everyone who might be on dismounted operations should have a professional look at their feet.  It's well worth the 30 minutes out of your day.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
Trust No One said:
Without the obvious slight to George that probably got my last post censored:  All arms live this every day in theatre.  The OPSEC briefs are clear, and the CQ's and staff do a fantastic job getting the garbage dealt with in a safe manner.

Thank you for the reminder. 

For those over, stay safe.

TNO

Not to make a sour note, although this topic is "Lessons for the Infantry in Afghanistan", as pointed out, it is relevant to all pers deploying.  It is commenable that your experiences have been as stated and your higher ups have stressed these points.  That is not what is in question, nor being commented on.  That was a "Lesson Learned".  Follow on troops may become complacent and not be briefed on this or ignore it. 

You are correct.  All Arms must pay attention to these lessons.  They are not "Infantry" specific.  There are some very excellent points that have been brought up, and many have benefited from them.  I hope that guys from this site, who return from deploymentwill be as dedicated to can keep these pointers up to date with the latest developments.
 

Garett

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
boondocksaint said:
- M-72's, during your work up training get your hands on them, fire them at structures, not tank targets, and get the lads used to putting them through doors, or cornering a door. The " Canadian RPG " is a feared beast on the battlefield here, I love them.

Is anyone having any luck using hearing protection in combat? I know a few guys with extensive hearing damage due to firing M72s and 84mms in combat. I've now extensively used the Surefire EP3s during live fire exercises but I've been told by those who know that its better to go without on ops. I'd think it would be better even if you lose a bit from wearing them, unless you're in certain positions in the formation. 
 

matty101

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi everyone, first off this thread is great and i will be passing on as much as i can to my platoon.  I'm a c9 gunner with the BG on TF-308, we leave at the end of the month!!!!! I was hoping to get any final info from any members that were using the c9 on past roto's.  Any thing at all, from cleaning, shooting, tactics, vests, load carriage, storeys anything at all, typical engagements, weapon effects at different ranges. I'm an information whore and all input will be appreciated.  Thanks a lot and talk to you soon. MTH  :cdn:  :threat:
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
9,216
Points
1,160
MTH said:
Hi everyone, first off this thread is great and i will be passing on as much as i can to my platoon.  I'm a c9 gunner with the BG on TF-308, we leave at the end of the month!!!!! I was hoping to get any final info from any members that were using the c9 on past roto's.  Any thing at all, from cleaning, shooting, tactics, vests, load carriage, storeys anything at all, typical engagements, weapon effects at different ranges. I'm an information ***** and all input will be appreciated.  Thanks a lot and talk to you soon. MTH  :cdn:  :threat:

Try punching 'C9' into the search bar top left: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search2

FWIW, I think it would be a good idea to have a C9-heavy 'Weapons Det' in each Platoon, and push it to where it's needed to win the fire fight as required. But someone who's actually been in a real firefight recently could probably comment with greater authority than I on that idea.
 

TheHead

Full Member
Reaction score
38
Points
280
Garett said:
Is anyone having any luck using hearing protection in combat? I know a few guys with extensive hearing damage due to firing M72s and 84mms in combat. I've now extensively used the Surefire EP3s during live fire exercises but I've been told by those who know that its better to go without on ops. I'd think it would be better even if you lose a bit from wearing them, unless you're in certain positions in the formation. 


When I was on the ground it was virtually impossible to use hearing protecting with the PRR in one ear.  I'd recommend it if you can find some suitable protecting that still allows you to hear your surroundings.  I have massive hearing problems now due to being a C9 gunner and LAV gunner in fire fights.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
9,216
Points
1,160
TheHead said:
When I was on the ground it was virtually impossible to use hearing protecting with the PRR in one ear.   I'd recommend it if you can find some suitable protecting that still allows you to hear your surroundings.  I have massive hearing problems now due to being a C9 gunner and LAV gunner in fire fights.

I don't want to sound like your mum (or Pl 2IC) but have you filled in a CF 98, or whatever the equivalent is on operations? It would be crazy if you couldn't get any financial support later for paperwork problems now.
 

TheHead

Full Member
Reaction score
38
Points
280
daftandbarmy said:
I don't want to sound like your mum (or Pl 2IC) but have you filled in a CF 98, or whatever the equivalent is on operations? It would be crazy if you couldn't get any financial support later for paperwork problems now.

Yes I did.  I'm a civilian right now so VAC and I are dealing with it at the moment.  It's a long process but VAC  is really supportive so far. It's a really cool situation really. My grandfather fought in Korea so every few months when his VAC officer comes out to see him she helps me with my issues.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
9,216
Points
1,160
TheHead said:
Yes I did.  I'm a civilian right now so VAC and I are dealing with it at the moment.   It's a long process but VAC  is really supportive so far. It's a really cool situation really. My grandfather fought in Korea so every few months when his VAC officer comes out to see him she helps me with my issues.

Good show. Glad to 'hear' it (forgive the pun). All the best!
 

BlackHalo

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
It's been a while since there was an update here. Does anyone have any new info to add? This has been a great thread! :salute:
 

RHFC_piper

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
BlackHalo said:
It's been a while since there was an update here. Does anyone have any new info to add? This has been a great thread! :salute:

I was just thinking the same thing.  But, we're in rotation season, so I'd expect some new info in the next month or so from the guys coming back.
There should be plenty of new info from the front, especially since the nature of operations is geared more to dismounted patrols and such now.

So lets have it... Keep this thread going.
 

BlackHalo

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
RHFC_piper said:
I was just thinking the same thing.  But, we're in rotation season, so I'd expect some new info in the next month or so from the guys coming back.
There should be plenty of new info from the front, especially since the nature of operations is geared more to dismounted patrols and such now.

So lets have it... Keep this thread going.

I didn't know the rotation hadn't come back yet. Best of luck to our men over there holding the fort! :threat: :salute:
 

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
1
Points
430
Guys give people a chance, sometimes returning personnel just want to kick back and relax and not deal with thinking about their experiences.
 

putz

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just got back from 1-08.  One of the best peices of kit that I got was the Camelbak Backpack.  Pick it up at the PX.  Once I had mine I never used the day bag again, the best part.....  With some playing around you can fit another 3 Liter bladder into it as well, that means 6 liters without having to play around with kit or re-fill bladders every 5 or so hours (thats of course when I was carrying the pack).  The big thing to learn is be it light infantry or mech, you'll be doing both, however, in some cases A LOT of light infantry patrolling and engagements (without LAV support).  Something that during workup training we did little of.
 
Top