• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan: Why we should be there (or not), how to conduct the mission (or not) & when to leave

Edward Campbell said:
Public backing for the war in Afghanistan has surged after an aggressive campaign by the Conservative government to build support for the mission, but most Canadians want the troops to come home when the country's military commitment ends in 2009, according to a new poll.

The poll was conducted between Sept. 26 and 28 by Ipsos Reid for CanWest News Service and Global National.

It shows 57 per cent of Canadians support the use of troops in combat operations in Afghanistan
Well there goes Taliban Jacks theory right out the window. ;D

But could this be the changing point in the momentum of support for the war? If a majority of Canadians support the war than its in the media's interest to cast it in a positive light... thereby further increasing the number of people who support the war which in turn could increase..... and so on as the snowball effect comes into play.

warspite said:
Well there goes Taliban Jacks theory right out the window. ;D

But could this be the changing point in the momentum of support for the war? If a majority of Canadians support the war than its in the media's interest to cast it in a positive light... thereby further increasing the number of people who support the war which in turn could increase..... and so on as the snowball effect comes into play.

I like your thinking,  but I don't think it works as cleanly as that.  Please remember what gets ratings, controversy, gore and Mothers collapsing on tarmacks as a flag draped coffin goes into a hearse. Last night on the news I got to see controversy over the danger pay (some gore); I saw a Mother crying and told she broke down. I felt so bad for everyone involved and my first thought was "What can I do to make it better".  I think most of those who are against the war see these images and say "whatever we're there for it isn't worth it" so logically they are doing what they can to help to get us out. 

It has been my experience that those who are against this war,  are unsure of why we are there.  A good number of our fellow Canadians have the Iraq issue in mind when they think of the mission in Afghanistan.  Once I took the time to explain what they did,  the threat that they posed, how they promised to do more and had the ability to do so,  I've only had one person say that this war was unjustified.  (He disagreed with my assertion that we were attacked by Al-quida which was harboured by the Taliban)  He then went on to say Afghanistan was a civil war we had no right to choose sides in - and in the next paragraph argue how we should go into Darfur ... Yes he is a Dipper federal Candidate.

I think that if we want to change public opinion,  we need to 1) get the message out as to why we're there 2) Give people a constructive (helpfull) outlet to make things better 3) Better clarify out current foreign policy. (We're not in Iraq, they didn't threaten us, or attack us, or help anyone who did or would and Iraq posed no immediate or intolerable threat to us whereas Afghanistan did)

For one and three,  all we need to do is to simply talk to people.  Respectfull discussion is the fastest way to get results(remember they are honestly thinking they are doing the right thing,  if you can convince them of the rightness of our actions then they'll with equal fervour the mission).  Now,  what can we set up to get the public a feeling like they are contributing. I know we have that Red Fridays thing going on,  but that just shows support - how can we get the public involved in a way that actually helps out and gives them tangible feedback?  (Something like the war bonds - but we're running a huge surplus right now, so we don't really need any fundraising)

How about this,  everyone wants more aid in Afghanistan,  how about we set up an adopt a community program.  You know set up an umbrella Organisation to help fund NGOs to do things like clear landmines,  supply schools with paper, road reconstruction and so forth. Just think of it 100 dollars clears one landmine,  75 dollars buys a little girl paper and pens and schooling for a year. Then we can put out the numbers for the results of how many landmines were removed, how many schools built (minus the number suicide bombed into rubble) I think people would be quite upset if the school they did a fun run to build was bombed into rubble.  I know we are putting allot of money towards reconstruction already,  but it would provide allot of people with the feeling that they are directly helping and it would be usefull (more money is always/usually good).

For those who forget that the UN is behind the Afghanistan mission, a resolution passed 12 Oct 06, extending "the authorization of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF)."

UN Link
http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N06/517/70/PDF/N0651770.pdf?OpenElement
Permalink if that doesn't work
http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/f/N0651770.pdf

Resolution 1707 (2006)
Adopted by the Security Council at its 5521st meeting, on 12 September 2006

The Security Council,

Reaffirming its previous resolutions on Afghanistan, in particular its
resolutions 1386 (2001) of 20 December 2001, 1413 (2002) of 23 May 2002, 1444
(2002) of 27 November 2002, 1510 (2003) of 13 October 2003, 1563 (2004) of
17 September 2004, 1623 (2005) of 13 September 2005 and 1659 (2006) of
15 February 2006,

Reaffirming its strong commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial
integrity and national unity of Afghanistan,

Reaffirming also its resolutions 1368 (2001) of 12 September 2001 and 1373
(2001) of 28 September 2001 and reiterating its support for international efforts to
root out terrorism in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,
Recognizing that the responsibility for providing security and law and order
throughout the country resides with the Afghans themselves and welcoming the
cooperation of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan with the
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF),

Recognizing once again the interconnected nature of the challenges in
Afghanistan, reaffirming that sustainable progress on security, governance and
development, as well as on the cross-cutting issue of counter-narcotics, is mutually
reinforcing and welcoming the continuing efforts of the Afghan Government and the
international community to address these challenges,

Stressing, in this regard, the importance of the Afghanistan Compact and its
annexes, launched at the London Conference, which provide the framework for the
partnership between the Afghan Government and the international community,
Expressing its concern about the security situation in Afghanistan, in particular
the increased violent and terrorist activity by the Taliban, Al-Qaida, illegally armed
groups and those involved in the narcotics trade, which has resulted in increased
Afghan civilian casualties,

Reiterating its call on all Afghan parties and groups to engage constructively
in the peaceful political development of the country and to avoid resorting to
violence including through the use of illegal armed groups,

Stressing, in this context, the importance of the security sector reform
including further strengthening of the Afghan National Army and Police,
disbandment of illegal armed groups, justice sector reform and counter-narcotics,

Expressing, in this context, its support for the Afghan Security Forces, with the
assistance of ISAF and the Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) coalition in
contributing to security in Afghanistan and in building the capacity of the Afghan
Security Forces, and welcoming the extension of ISAF into Southern Afghanistan,
with effect from 31 July 2006, the planned further ISAF expansion into Eastern
Afghanistan and the increased coordination between ISAF and the OEF coalition,

Expressing its appreciation to the United Kingdom for taking over the lead
from Italy in commanding ISAF, and recognizing with gratitude the contributions of
the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and many nations to ISAF,
Determining that the situation in Afghanistan still constitutes a threat to
international peace and security,

Determined to ensure the full implementation of the mandate of ISAF, in
consultation with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan,
Acting for these reasons under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United
Nations,

1. Decides to extend the authorization of the International Security
Assistance Force (ISAF)
, as defined in resolution 1386 (2001) and 1510 (2003), for
a period of twelve months beyond 13 October 2006;

2. Authorizes the Member States participating in ISAF to take all necessary
measures to fulfil its mandate
;

3. Recognizes the need to further strengthen ISAF, and in this regard calls
upon Member States to contribute personnel, equipment and other resources to
ISAF, and to make contributions to the Trust Fund established pursuant to resolution
1386 (2001);

4. Calls upon ISAF to continue to work in close consultation with the
Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the Special Representative
of the Secretary-General as well as with the OEF coalition in the implementation of
the force mandate;

5. Requests the leadership of ISAF to provide quarterly reports on
implementation of its mandate to the Security Council through the Secretary-
General;

6. Decides to remain actively seized of this matter.

I find it interesting on a leftist board I post on (Tyee.ca) that they neglect to mention the UN support for this mission. It's all about oil or gas or pipelines, just another evil Bush plot.  ::)

Colin P said:
I find it interesting on a leftist board I post on (Tyee.ca) that they neglect to mention the UN support for this mission. It's all about oil or gas or pipelines, just another evil Bush plot.  ::)

http://tyee.ca/

"Tyee Building Supplies Ltd is located in Prince Rupert’s Cow Bay area, comprising of some 30,000 square feet and provides building supplies and other services to towns and villages from the Queen Charlotte Islands to Alaska and as far South as Hartley Bay"
I had no idea that company was a leftest haven :-D

Sorry my bad!     thetyee.ca

check out this crap......

http://thetyee.ca/Views/2006/10/16/OperationBackfire/

While the media in Canada continues to soft-peddle the country's disastrous "mission" in Afghanistan, a cursory examination of the facts reveals that the two men most responsible for this continuing nightmare are simply not up to the task of developing a strategy worthy of the name. Stephen Harper and Lieutenant General Rick Hillier, his "butt-kicking" military chief, have demonstrated a level of ineptitude that should have Canadians extremely worried.

No fuss,  I kinda wanted to read the leftist blog.  :)

I have to take issue with a few of the points raised that that last article.  (I'll have to read the previous two before I start ripping them apart)  But at the very end they say "Crazy to negotiate?"  and saythat we should open negotiations with the Taliban.

I have to completely agree that starting talks with the Taliban isn't a bad idea.  But unless we are negotiating surrender we need to have something to bargin with.  For example we could offer blanket amnesty for all acts carried out against military targets in exchange for a general end to the fighting.  (Then we quickly get the Afghan government police/security to secure the borders, identify the guys who are suicide bombing schools and create general order.)  The new sense of calm would be the slow death the Taliban would not survive.

Even if the Taliban,  in their own intrests, rebuff our advances,  we can turn around and say they are unreasonable.  Or at the very least we could use the negotiations as a means to gether intelligence.  But in all seriousness,  I thought that we already were having talks with the taliban.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/10/05/taliban.talks/

"Military negotiations have found some success in Afghanistan. NATO recently confirmed that British commanders reached a cease-fire agreement with the Taliban via the local shura in the town of Musa Qala in Helmand, a province fraught with numerous military and civilian deaths."

We didn't want to go,  they attacked us and were going to do it again.  We don't want to stay,  but we have a duty to help.  We have nothing to gain materially,  but we will all benefit from a stable, democratic government in Afghanistan.

To my understanding, it’s always been a Good cop, bad cop thing. The Coalition plays the bad cop and the Afghan government plays the good cop, saying: Hey are you tired of being killed by the coalition? Then lets make a deal. In fact the Taliban walked away from talks back in 2003 and amnesty has been offered to most of them.

From the little I know, they figured they could get a better deal (eg: control of the south) by walking away. Didn't work....yet...don't let it

Still,  the point remains that unless you have something to negotiate with,  there is no reason to negotiate.  Surprisingly enough,  it works both ways.

The Taliban have only one thing to bring to the negotiations,  the end of their military actions.  However they know that as soon as they stop fighting,  they will loose their funding and seemingly endless stream of new recruits.  I honestly believe the people of Afghanistan would quickly do what traditionally happens to those who supported oppressive regimes and the Taliban would be at an end.  (Tendentious reasoning I know)

We have nothing to offer the Taliban.  We can not offer them amnesty for the recent terrorist attacks, (the local government can,  but still if I was one of the parents of a murdered child... ).  We can not offer them power or any sort of autonomous region (even as a trap to get them into one spot) If bribes worked on this group we would have simply bought Osama from them way back when and we wouldn't have had to invade.

What do we have to offer them in exchange for what they can never give?  I think we can't negotiate with them as an organisation,  I think we need to start to work at people inside. Bribe a fighter here,  pay off a squadron there - and to be blunt I'm sure we're already doing it.

Zell_Dietrich said:
For example we could offer blanket amnesty for all acts carried out against military targets in exchange for a general end to the fighting.
That has been done.  Any member of the Taliban can lay down his weapons receive amnesty and return to a normal Afghan life.

. . . well in theory.  I understand from some news articles that there my be some challenges in the return to a normal life part.

Tony Blair want the Canadian public to support the mission:

Blair tells Canadians to support Afghan mission
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/10/16/blair-canada.html

If only the NDP and those progressive Liberals could go along with a Labour PM.

Mark
Ottawa

One reason why many Canadians are confused about Afstan.  A letter just sent to the Globe and Mail:

It's odd that one finds more accurate reporting in the Globe's editorials than in a front-page news story. Doug Saunders writes, in "Blair says bond with Canada is forged in battle" (Oct. 17),
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061017.AFGHANBLAIR17/TPStory/Front

that "Other than Canada, Britain is the only country that is part of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization fighting in the dangerous southern provinces of Afghanistan."

Your editorial the same day, "The true Afghan mission" [full text not officially online],
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061017.weafghanistan17/BNStory/Front

presents the facts rather more accurately when it notes that "It has not escaped Mr. Blair that...Canada's soldiers are playing a leading role in Afghanistan, alongside those of his own country, the United States and the Netherlands..." Indeed substantial Dutch and American forces are also fighting in the south--along with some 600 Romanian soldiers plus smaller contingents from Denmark, Portugal and Estonia.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060929/soldier_killed_060929/20060929?hub=Canada

No wonder Canadians have a difficult time understanding what is happening in Afghanistan when reporting on the situation there is so inaccurate.

Mark
Ottawa

"No wonder Canadians have a difficult time understanding what is happening in Afghanistan when reporting on the situation there is so inaccurate."

Well,  almost everyone I know will listen to a person over coffee who looks them in the eye and explains the purpose behind our actions in Afghanistan.  How it was sanctioned by the UN,  how many many countries are involved and what would happen if we were to all pull out.

I've only known one person who did not (even begrudgingly) admit that there was a justification for the war in Afghanistan after I sat down with them and hashed things out. 

I'm only bringing this experence up as a warning - if you havn't run into people of his ilk,  you will.  When I said they attacked us,  he brought up Iraq.  When I said "training camps" he brought up school of the Americas.  When I said that they had proven that they would attack us and that they said they would attack us again, he called me a jingoist.  He asked me why, if I supported the mission so much, I didn't join the army and help out.  I said that was a very valid statement and smiled.  He then looked at me in a slanted way and then said "Oh"  and then implied that I wanted to go over there to force myself on Afghan women.  (at that I was so upset I wasn't going to say anything intelligent so I left)  I only brought up that experience as a warning,  there are some people who I call "landmines".  If you're not carefull they will blow up on you.

I've read most of the thread, and it seems that most of the posts are along the lines of policy-approval, or critic-bashing.

What are participant thoughts on this mission from a purely military standpoint?

Legless_Marine said:
What are participant thoughts on this mission from a purely military standpoint?
What are your thoughts?

From a purely military standpoint our presence in Afghanistan is a necessity, not a luxury.  Given sanctuary and support, phase one guerrilla operations can be carried on forever.  Pakistan may have been the source of the Taliban, but it has never had control there.  Only in Afghanistan was the Taliban in open control, and able to collect and train its fanatics openly.  The drug revenue, and funds from hardline sympathizers throughout the region, gave the fanatics collected under the auspices of the Taliban the ability to plan and execute attacks throughout Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and North America, culminating in the infamous 9-11 attacks.  Our operations in Afghanistan are about cutting off that support base.  You cannot stop a fanatic who is determined to die for his cause from doing so.  You can stop the flow of arms, money, intelligence, and training that allows these fanatics to be collected, prepared, directed so as to make their separate actions a force for prosecuting the agenda of this poisoned offshoot of radical Islam against governments throughout the world.
Think of Afghanistan as a launchpad; only instead of SCUD or V2, their explosives are carried in luggage, or strapped to boy's chests when they take innocent lives at random, just as Iraqi Scud or Nazi V2 rockets did.   To protect your civilian population, the launchpad must be taken out.  Unlike conventional missiles, the launchers are not trucks or aircraft hangers that we can eliminate with smart bombs and airstrikes, but madrassas and training camps that must be sought out village by village, cave by cave, by infantry willing to get close enough to find the insurgents in a sea of innocent bystanders, and take them out.

Zell_Dietrich said:
I only brought up that experience as a warning,  there are some people who I call "landmines".  If you're not carefull they will blow up on you.

And by way of coincidence, there are some people who I deal with like a mine flail.  Funny symmetry, that.

An interesting look at some Afghan viewpoints on the war in Afghanistan also some of the effects on the people there. Appears to written from a relatively impartial viewpoint, a rairity in modern journalism in my humble opinion.

It is quite long so make sure you have a coffee going before you start.  :)

from this new york times link

October 22, 2006
In the Land of the Taliban
By ELIZABETH RUBIN

One afternoon this past summer, I shared a picnic of fresh mangos and plums with Abdul Baqi, an Afghan Taliban fighter in his 20’s fresh from the front in Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan. We spent hours on a grassy slope under the tall pines of Murree, a former colonial hill station that is now a popular resort just outside Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad. All around us was a Pakistani rendition of Georges Seurat’s “Sunday on La Grande Jatte” — middle-class families setting up grills for barbecue, a girl and two boys chasing their errant cow with a stick, two men hunting fowl, boys flying a kite. Much of the time, Abdul Baqi was engrossed in the flight pattern of a Himalayan bird. It must have been a welcome distraction. He had just lost five friends fighting British troops and had seen many others killed or wounded by bombs as they sheltered inside a mosque.

He was now looking forward to taking a logic course at a madrasa, or religious school, near Peshawar during his holiday. Pakistan’s religious parties, he told me through an interpreter, would lodge him, as they did other Afghan Taliban fighters, and keep him safe. With us was Abdul Baqi’s mentor, Mullah Sadiq, a diabetic Helmandi who was shuttling between Pakistan and Afghanistan auditing Taliban finances and arranging logistics. He had just dispatched nine fighters to Afghanistan and had taken wounded men to a hospital in Islamabad. “I just tell the border guards that they were wounded in a tribal dispute and need treatment,” he told me.

And though Mullah Sadiq said they had lost many commanders in battles around Kandahar, he and Abdul Baqi appeared to be in good spirits, laughing and chatting loudly on a cellphone to Taliban friends in Pakistan and Afghanistan. After all, they never imagined that the Taliban would be back so soon or in such force or that they would be giving such trouble to the Afghan government of Hamid Karzai and some 40,000 NATO and U.S. troops in the country. For the first time since the fall of 2001, when the Taliban were overthrown, they were beginning to taste the possibility of victory.

As I traveled through Pakistan and particularly the Pashtun lands bordering Afghanistan, I felt as if I were moving through a Taliban spa for rehabilitation and inspiration. Since 2002, the American and Pakistani militaries have focused on North Waziristan and South Waziristan, two of the seven districts making up Pakistan’s semiautonomous tribal areas, which are between the North-West Frontier Province and, to the south, Baluchistan Province; in the days since the 9/11 attacks, some tribes there had sheltered members of Al Qaeda and spawned their own Taliban movement. Meanwhile, in the deserts of Baluchistan, whose capital, Quetta, is just a few hours’ drive from the Afghan city of Kandahar, the Afghan Taliban were openly reassembling themselves under Mullah Omar and his leadership council. Quetta had become a kind of free zone where strategies could be formed, funds picked up, interviews given and victories relished.

In June, I was in Quetta as the Taliban fighters celebrated an attack against Dad Mohammad Khan, an Afghan legislator locally known as Amir Dado. Until recently he was the intelligence chief of Helmand Province. He had worked closely with U.S. Special Forces and was despised by Abdul Baqi — and, to be frank, by most Afghans in the south. Mullah Razayar Nurzai (a nom de guerre), a commander of 300 Taliban fighters who frequently meets with the leadership council and Mullah Omar, took credit for the ambush. Because Pakistan’s intelligence services are fickle — sometimes supporting the Taliban, sometimes arresting its members — I had to meet Nurzai at night, down a dark lane in a village outside Quetta.

My guide was a Pakistani Pashtun sympathetic to the Taliban; we slipped into a courtyard and behind a curtain into a small room with mattresses and a gas lamp. In hobbled a rough, wild-looking graybeard with green eyes and a prosthetic limb fitted into a permanent 1980’s-era shoe. More than a quarter-century of warring had taken its toll on Nurzai’s 46-year-old body but not on his spirit. It was 10 at night, yet he was bounding with energy and bombast about his recent exploits in Kandahar and Helmand. A few days earlier, Nurzai and his men had attacked Amir Dado’s extended family. First, he told me, they shot dead his brother — a former district leader. Then the next day, as members of Dado’s family were driving to the site of the first attack, Nurzai’s men ambushed their convoy. Boys, cousins, uncles: all were killed. Dado himself was safe elsewhere. Nurzai was mildly disappointed and said that they had received bad information. He had no regrets about the killings, however. Abdul Baqi was also delighted by the attack. He would tell me that Dado used to burn rocket casings and pour the melted plastic onto the stomachs of onetime Taliban fighters he and his men had captured. Abdul Baqi also recalled that during the civil war that ended with the Taliban’s seizure of Kabul, Dado and his men had a checkpoint where they “grabbed young boys and robbed people.”

Mullah Omar and his followers formed the Taliban in 1994 to, among other things, bring some justice to Afghanistan and to expel predatory commanders like Dado. But in the early days of Karzai’s government, these regional warlords re-established themselves, with American financing, to fill the power vacuum that the coalition forces were unwilling to fill themselves. The warlords freely labeled their many enemies Al Qaeda or Taliban in order to push the Americans to eradicate them. Some of these men were indeed Taliban. Most, like Abdul Baqi, had accepted their loss of power, but they rejoined the Taliban as a result of harassment. Amir Dado’s own abuses had eventually led to his removal from the Helmand government at United Nations insistence. As one Western diplomat, who requested anonymity out of personal safety concerns, put it: “Amir Dado kept his own prison, authorized the use of serious torture, had very little respect for human life and made security worse.” Yet when I later met Amir Dado in Kabul, he pulled out a letter that an officer in the U.S. Special Forces had written requesting that the Afghan Ministry of Defense install him as Helmand’s police chief and claiming that in his absence “the quality of security in the Helmand Province has dramatically declined.”

One Place, Two Stories

I went to Afghanistan and Pakistan this summer to understand how and why the Taliban were making a comeback five years after American and Afghan forces drove them from power. What kind of experience would lead Afghans to reject what seemed to be an emerging democratic government? Had we missed something that made Taliban rule appealing? Were they the only opposition the aggrieved could turn to? Or, as many Afghans were saying, was this Pakistan up to its old tricks — cooperating with the Americans and Karzai while conspiring to bring back the Taliban, who had been valued “assets” before 9/11?

And why has the Bush administration’s message remained that Afghanistan is a success, Iraq a challenge? “In Afghanistan, the trajectory is a hopeful and promising one,” Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld wrote on the op-ed page of The Washington Post earlier this month. Afghanistan’s rise from the ashes of the anti-Taliban war would mean that the Bush administration was prevailing in replacing terror with democracy and human rights.

Meanwhile, a counternarrative was emerging, and it belonged to the Taliban, or the A.C.M., as NATO officers call them — the Anti-Coalition Militia. In Kabul, Kandahar and Pakistan, I found their video discs and tapes in the markets. They invoke a nostalgia for the jihad against the Russians and inspire their viewers to rise up again. One begins with clattering Chinooks disgorging American soldiers into the desert. Then we see the new Afghan government onstage, focusing in on the Northern Alliance warlords — Abdul Rashid Dostum, Burhanuddin Rabbani, Karim Khalili, Muhammad Fahim, Ismail Khan, Abdul Sayyaf. It cuts to American soldiers doing push-ups and pinpointing targets on maps; next it shows bombs the size of bathtubs dropping from planes and missiles emblazoned with “Royal Navy” rocketing through the sky; then it moves to hospital beds and wounded children. Message: America and Britain brought back the warlords and bombed your children. In the next clip, there are metal cages under floodlights and men in orange jumpsuits, bowed and crouching. It cuts back to the wild eyes of John Walker Lindh and shows trucks hauling containers crammed with young Afghan and Pakistani prisoners — Taliban, hundreds of whom would suffocate to death in those containers, supposedly at the command of the warlord and current army chief of staff, General Dostum. Then back to American guards wheeling hunger-striking Guantánamo prisoners on gurneys. Interspliced are older images, a bit fuzzy, of young Afghan men, hands tied behind their backs, heads bowed, hauled off by Communist guards. The message: Foreigners have invaded our lands again; Americans, Russians — no difference.

During the period from 1994 to 2001, the Taliban were a cloistered clique with little interest in global affairs. Today they are far more sophisticated and outward-looking. “The Taliban of the 90’s were concerned with their district or province,” says Waheed Muzhda, a senior aide at the Supreme Court in Kabul, who before the Taliban fell worked in their Foreign Ministry. “Now they have links with other networks. Before, only two Internet connections existed — one was with Mullah Omar’s office and the other at the Foreign Ministry here in Kabul. Now they are connected to the world.” Though this is still very much an Afghan insurgency, fueled by complex local grievances and power struggles, the films sold in the markets of Pakistan and Afghanistan merge the Taliban story with that of the larger struggle of the Muslim umma, the global community of Islam: images of U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Israelis dragging off young Palestinian men and throwing off Palestinian mothers clinging to their sons. Humiliation. Oppression. Followed by the same on Afghan soil: Northern Alliance fighters perching their guns atop the bodies of dead Taliban. In the Taliban story, Special Forces soldiers desecrate the bodies of Taliban fighters by burning them, the Koran is desecrated in Guantánamo toilets, the Prophet Muhammad is desecrated in Danish cartoons and finally an apostate, Abdul Rahman, the Afghan who was arrested earlier this year for converting to Christianity, desecrates Islam and is not only not punished but is released and flown off to Italy.

It is not at all clear that Afghans want the return of a Taliban government. But even sophisticated Kabulis told me that they are fed up with the corruption. And in the Pashtun regions, which make up about half the country, Afghans are fed up with five years of having their homes searched and the young men of their villages rounded up in the name of counterinsurgency. Earlier this month in Kabul, Gen. David Richards, the British commander of NATO’s Afghanistan force, imagined what Afghans are thinking: “They will say, ‘We do not want the Taliban, but then we would rather have that austere and unpleasant life that that might involve than another five years of fighting.”’ He estimated that if NATO didn’t succeed in bringing substantial economic development to Afghanistan soon, some 70 percent of Afghans would shift their loyalty to the Taliban.

Nation-Building, Again

In the middle of Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand Province, a metal sign tilts into the road advertising the New York English Language Center. It is a relic of the last American nation-building scheme. Half a century ago, this town, built at the confluence of the Arghandab and Helmand Rivers, was the headquarters for an ambitious dam project partly financed by the United States and contracted out to Morrison-Knudsen, an engineering company that helped build Cape Canaveral and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lashkar Gah (literally, “the place of soldiers”) was to be a model American town. Irrigation from the project would create farms out of the desert. Today you can still see the suburban-style homes with gardens open to the streets, although the typical Afghan home is a fort with walls guarding the family’s privacy. Those modernizing dreams of America and Afghanistan were eventually defeated by nature, culture and the war to drive the Russians out of Afghanistan in the 1980’s. What remains is an intense nostalgia among the engineers, cooks and farmers of Lashkar Gah, who remember that time as one of employment and peace. Today, Lashkar Gah is home to a NATO base.

Down the road from the base stands a lovely new building erected by an N.G.O. for the local Ministry of Women’s Affairs. It is big, white and, on the day I visited, was empty except for three women getting ready to leave. “It’s so close to the foreigners, and the women are afraid of getting killed by car bombs,” the ministry’s deputy told me. She was a school headmistress and landowner, dressed elegantly in a lime-colored blouse falling below the knees and worn over matching trousers. She weighed the Taliban regime against this new one in terms of pragmatic choices, not terror or ideology. She said that she had just wrapped up the case of a girl who had been kidnapped and raped by Kandahari police officers, something that would not have happened under the Taliban. “Their security was outstanding,” she said.

Under the Taliban, she said, a poppy ban was enforced. “Now the governors tell the people, ‘Just cultivate a little bit,”’ she said. “So people take this opportunity and grow a lot.” The farmers lease land to grow poppies. The British and the police eradicate it. The farmer can’t pay back the landowner. “So instead of paying, he gives the landowner his daughter.”

A few weeks before I arrived in Helmand, John Walters, the director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, told reporters that Afghan authorities were succeeding in reducing opium-poppy cultivation. Yet despite hundreds of millions of dollars being allocated by Congress to stop the trade, a United Nations report in September estimated that this year’s crop was breaking all records — 6,100 metric tons compared with 4,100 last year. When I visited Helmand, schools in Lashkar Gah were closed in part because teachers and students were busy harvesting the crop. A prosecutor from the Crimes Department laughed as he told me that his clerk, driver and bodyguard hadn’t made it to work. They were all harvesting. It requires a lot of workers, and you can earn $12 a day compared with the $2 you get for wheat. Hence the hundreds of young, poor Talibs from Pakistan’s madrasas who had flocked to earn that cash and who made easy converts for the coming jihad.

Walters had singled out Helmand for special praise. Yet just a short drive from the provincial capital, I was surrounded by poppy farmers — 12-year-old boys, 75-year-old men — hard at work, their hands caked in opium paste as they scooped figlike pulp off the bulbs into a sack tied around their waists. One little boy was dragging a long poppy stem attached to a car he had made out of bulbs. Haji Abdul, a 73-year-old Moses of a man, was the owner of the farm and one of those nostalgic for the heyday of the Helmand Valley project. He had worked with Americans for 15 years as a welder and manager. He was the first to bring electricity to his district. Now there was none.

“Why do you think people put mines out for the British and Italians doing eradication when they came here to save us?” He answered his own question: “Thousands of lands ready for harvest were destroyed. How difficult will it be for our people to tolerate that! You are taking the food of my children, cutting my feet and disabling me. With one bullet, I will kill you.” Fortunately he didn’t have to kill anyone. He had paid 2,000 afghanis per jerib (about a half acre) of land to the police, he told me, adding that they would then share the spoils with the district administrator and all the other Interior Ministry officials so that only a small percentage of the poppy would be eradicated.

When I asked Manan Farahi, the director of counterterrorism efforts for Karzai’s government, why the Taliban were so strong in Helmand, he said that Helmandis had, in fact, hated the Taliban because of Mullah Omar’s ban on poppy cultivation. “The elders were happy this government was coming and they could plant again,” Farahi told me. “But then the warlords came back and let their militias roam freely. They were settling old scores — killing people, stealing their opium. And because they belonged to the government, the people couldn’t look to the government for protection. And because they had the ear of the Americans, the people couldn’t look to the Americans. Into this need stepped the Taliban.” And this time the Taliban, far from suppressing the drug trade, agreed to protect it.

A Dealer’s Life

The Continental Guest House in Kandahar, with its lovely gardens, potted geraniums and Internet access in every room, was mostly empty when I arrived, a remnant of the city’s recently stalled economic resurgence.

To find out how the opium trade works and how it’s related to the Taliban’s rise, I spent the afternoon with an Afghan who told me his name was Razzaq. He is a medium-level smuggler in his late 20’s who learned his trade as a refugee in Iran. He was wearing a traditional Kandahari bejeweled skull cap, a dark blazer and a white shalwar kameez, a traditional outfit consisting of loose pants covered by a tunic. He moved and spoke with the confident ease of a well-protected man. “The whole country is in our services,” he told me, “all the way to Turkey.” This wasn’t bravado. From Mazar-i-Sharif, in northern Afghanistan, he brings opium in the form of a gooey paste, packaged in bricks. From Badakhshan in the northeast, he brings crystal — a sugary substance made from heroin. And from Jalalabad, in the east on the road to Peshawar, he brings pure heroin. All of this goes through Baramcha, an unmanned border town in Helmand near Pakistan. Sometimes he pays off the national soldiers to use their vehicles, he said. Sometimes the national policemen. Or he hides it well, and if there is a tough checkpoint, he calls ahead and pays them off. “The soldiers get 2,000 afghanis a month, and I give them 100,000,” he explained with an angelic smile. “So even if I had a human head in my car, they’d let me go.” It’s not hard to see why Razzaq is so successful. He has a certain charm and looks like the modest tailor he once was, not a man steeped in illegal business.

Razzaq’s smuggling career began in Zahedan, a remote and unruly Iranian town near the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is filled with Afghan refugees who, like Razzaq and his family, fled after the Russian invasion in 1979. Razzaq apprenticed as a tailor under his father and eventually opened his own shop, which the Iranians promptly shut down. They said he had no right as a refugee to own a shop. He began painting buildings, but that, too, proved a bureaucratic challenge. He was paid in checks, and the bank refused to cash them without a bank account, which he could not get.

Razzaq was newly married with dreams of a good life for his family. So one day he took a chance. “I had gotten to know smugglers at my tailoring shop,” he told me over a meal of mutton and rice on the floor of my hotel room. “One of them was an old man, so no one ever suspected him. The smugglers asked me to go with him to Gerdi Jangel” — an Afghan refugee town in Pakistan — “and bring back 750 grams of heroin to Zahedan. The security searched us on the bus, but I’d hidden it in the heels of my shoes, and of course they didn’t search the old man. I was so happy when we made it back. I thought I was born for the first time into this world.”

So he took another chance and managed to fly to Tehran carrying four kilos in his bag. Each time he overcame another obstacle, he became more addicted to the easy cash. When the Iranian authorities imported sniffing dogs to catch heroin smugglers, Razzaq and his friends filled hypodermic needles with some heroin dissolved in water and sprayed the liquid on cars at the bus station that would be continuing on to Tehran, Isfahan and Shiraz. “The dogs at the checkpoint went mad. They had to search 50 cars. They decided the dogs were defective and sent them back, and that saved us for a while.” Eventually, he said, they concocted a substance to conceal the heroin smell from the new pack of dogs.

After the fall of the Taliban, Razzaq moved back to Helmand, built a comfortable house and began supporting his extended family with his expanding trafficking business. Razzaq’s main challenge today is Iran. While the Americans have turned more or less a blind eye to the drug-trade spree of their warlord allies, Iran has steadily cranked up its drug war. (Some 3,000 Iranian lawmen have been killed in the last three decades battling traffickers.) To cross the desert borders, Razzaq moves in convoys of 18 S.U.V.’s. Some contain drugs. The rest are loaded with food supplies, antiaircraft guns, rocket launchers, antitank missiles and militiamen, often on loan from the Taliban. The fighters are Baluch from Iran and Afghanistan. The commanders are Afghans.

Razzaq’s run, as he described it, was a scene out of “Mad Max.” Three days were spent dodging and battling Iranian forces in the deserts around the earthquake-stricken city of Bam. Once they made it to Isfahan, however, in central Iran, they were home free. They released the militiamen, transferred the stuff to ordinary cars and drove to Tehran, where other smugglers picked up the drugs and passed them on to ethnic Turks in Tabriz. The Turks would bring them home, and from there they went to the markets of Europe.

Should he ever run into a problem in Afghanistan, he told me, “I simply make a phone call. And my voice is known to ministers, of course. They are in my network. Every network has a big man supporting them in the government.” The Interior Ministry’s director of counternarcotics in Kabul had told me the same thing. Anyway, if the smugglers have problems on the ground, they say, they just pay the Taliban to destroy the enemy commanders.

Razzaq has at times contemplated getting out of the smuggling trade, he said, but the easy money is too alluring. Depending on the market, he can earn from $1,500 to $7,500 a month. Most Afghans can’t make that in a year. Besides, he said, “all the governors are doing this, so why shouldn’t we?”

Losers Become Winners

In December 2001, not long after the Taliban were routed, I visited the Shah Wali Kot district, several hours’ drive on unpaved roads from Kandahar, a Mordor land of rock mountains shaped like sagging crescents and mud-baked houses melting into the dunes. The Taliban leaders had fled, mostly to Pakistan. Gul Agha Shirzai, formerly a local warlord and soon-to-be new governor, and his soldiers had swarmed into power while the Americans set up their operations base in Mullah Omar’s Xanadu-like residence. I was with a large group of Populzai, the clan of the Afghan president, Hamid Karzai.

We were in a big guest room with more than a dozen men gathered in a circle, all wearing the kind of turbans that look like gargantuan ice-cream swirls. The ones in black turban swirls were giggling, chatting and slapping one another on the back. The ones in white turban swirls were sulking, grumbling or mute. In this group, the miserable white turbans were Taliban men. They had just lost their pickup trucks, weapons, money, prestige and jobs, all of which had gone to the gleeful black turbans.

Today those miserable white turbans have taken to the mountains to fight. The gleeful black turbans are under siege. I saw one of the black turbans this summer, the Shah Wali Kot district leader, in the garden of the Kandahar governor’s palace. He was a mess. He chuckled loudly when I asked him how it was back in Shah Wali Kot. “Frankly, we are just defending ourselves from the Taliban,” he said. “Our head is on the pillow at night, but we do not sleep.”

That small division among the Populzai in Shah Wali Kot echoes the larger division of the Pashtun into two main branches: the Durrani and the Ghilzai. The Durrani, Karzai’s tribe, have dominated for the last two centuries in Afghanistan and regard themselves as the ruling elite. In the south, the Ghilzai were often treated as the nomadic, scrappy cousins. With the exception of Mullah Omar, who had been a poor Ghilzai farmer, the leaders of the Taliban tended to be Durrani. These days, the perception among the southern Ghilzai is that they are persecuted, that the jails are filled with their people, while the Durrani in the south received all the Japanese, U.S. and British contracts and jobs. From what I could gather during my weeks in Afghanistan, these perceptions were mostly true. But even if they were exaggerated, such perceptions, in an illiterate society, have a way of quickly morphing into reality.

Take Panjwai, a district just outside Kandahar, where hundreds of Taliban massed this summer, taking advantage of the changeover from American soldiers to a NATO force of Canadian troops. One afternoon I met a red-haired propagandist and writer for the Taliban in a Kandahar office building. With his slight lisp, chain-smoking habit and eclectic reading — French novelists and Arabic philosophers — he seemed more a tormented graduate student than the landless villager from Panjwai he was. Panjwai is a mishmash of tribes, and the Taliban were exploiting the grievances of the Nurzai, a tribe that has felt persecuted and unfairly targeted for poppy eradication. Traders in Kandahar, he said, were donating money to the Taliban. Landowners were paying them to fight off eradicators. The Taliban were paying poor, unemployed men to fight. And religious scholars were delivering the message that it was time for jihad because the Americans were no different from the Russians. Just a few weeks earlier, the Taliban went on a killing spree in Panjwai. They beheaded a tribal leader in his home, shot another in the bazaar and hanged a man near a shrine with a note tacked on his body: “SPY.”

The Taliban were feeling bold enough that one afternoon Mullah Ibrahim, a Taliban intelligence agent, dropped by my hotel for lunch. He was a Ghilzai, from Helmand, and told me he had tried to lead a normal life under the official amnesty program. Instead, he was locked up, beaten and so harassed by Helmandi intelligence and police officers that his tribal elders told him to leave for Pakistan and join the Taliban there. Then, about a year ago, he decided that he was tired of fighting and living as a fugitive and accepted a reconciliation offer from an Afghan general. Pakistani intelligence got wind of this and imprisoned him; upon his release, the Pakistanis gave him money and a motorbike and pressured him to go back to war. He is still tired of war, but the Pakistanis won’t let him live in peace, and now if he tries to reconcile with the Kabul government, he told me, the Taliban will kill him.

When fighting broke out on the main highway near Kandahar, I saw that the police had tied up a group of villagers — but the Taliban had all escaped. One of those village men, his hands bound behind his back, told me that he had peeped out from his house earlier that day and saw some 200 Taliban with new guns and rocket launchers. They wanted food and threatened him and other villagers. “But I am not afraid of them,” he said loudly. “I am only afraid of this government.” Why? “Look at what they do. They can’t get the Taliban, so they arrest us. We have no hope from them anymore. And when we call and tell them Taliban are here, no one comes.” As an engineer from Panjwai who had been an Afghan senator during the Communist era told me: “We are now like camels. In Islam, a camel can be slaughtered in two different ways.

“The Taliban are using rivalries and enmities between people to get soldiers, the same tactics as the mujahedeen used against the Russians,” the engineer continued. “Just like in Russian times they come and say, ‘We are defending the country from the infidels.’ They start asking for food. Then they ask the people for soldiers and say, ‘We will give you weapons.’ And that’s how it starts. And the emotions are rising in the people now. They are saying, ‘Kaffirs have invaded our land.”’

Qayum Karzai, the president’s older brother and a legislator from Kandahar, seemed utterly depressed when I met him. “For the last four years, the Taliban were saying that the Americans will leave here,” he said. “We were stupid and didn’t believe it. Now they think it’s a victory that the Americans left.”

With the Americans on their way out and the NATO force not yet in control, the Kandahar Police were left on the front line: underfinanced, underequipped, untrained — and often stoned. Which is perhaps what made them so brave. One afternoon I ran into a group who said their friends had just been killed when a Talib posing as a policeman served them poisoned tea. A shaggy-haired officer in a black tunic was standing by his pickup, freshly ripped up by a barrage of bullets, and staring at my feet. “I envy your shoes,” he said, looking back at his own torn rubber sandals. “I envy your Toyota,” he said and laughed. And then looking at my pen and notebook, he said, “I envy you can read and write.” It’s not too late, I offered feebly, but he tapped his temple and shook his head. “It doesn’t work anymore,” he said. “I smoke hash. I smoke opium. I’m drinking because we’re always thinking and nervous.” He was 35. He had been fighting for 20 years. Four of his friends had been killed in the fighting the other night. He had to support children, a wife and parents on a salary of about $100 a month. And, he said, “we haven’t been paid in four months.” No wonder, then, that the population complained that the police were all thieves.

At Kandahar’s hospital I met a 17-year-old policeman (who had been with the police since he was 14) tending to his wounded friend. He was in a jovial mood, amazed he wasn’t dead. He said they had been given an order to cut the Taliban’s escape route. Instead they were ambushed by the Taliban, ran out of bullets and had no phones to call for backup. “We ran away,” he said with a nervous giggle. “The Taliban chased us, shouting: ‘Hey, sons of Bush! Where are you going? We want to kill you.”’

Last month, NATO forces struck back around Panjwai with artillery and aerial bombardments, killing an estimated 500 Taliban fighters and destroying homes and schools. But unless NATO can stay for years, create a trustworthy police force and spend the millions necessary to regenerate the district, the Taliban will be back.

(continued in part 2.)

Back